bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:39 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
I'm going to resort to personal attacks because I am incapable of developing a coherent argument as is my usual practice

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:49 pm

Delwin Delwin:
What's a 'coherent argument'? [huh]

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:12 pm

So a guy goes out and purchases a rifle, kills 14 people and wounds 32 and you are arguing that he was stopped ? On what planet ?I'm not really sure if people like you are what's wrong with America, or America is what's wrong with people like you. You've got me in a real chicken/egg quandary here.

I'll make it easy for you.

Did a mass shooting occur ? Or was the mass shooting stopped ?

You see they are opposites. One happened or the other happened.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:54 pm

Delwin Delwin:
So a guy goes out and purchases a rifle, kills 14 people and wounds 32 and you are arguing that he was stopped ? On what planet ?I'm not really sure if people like you are what's wrong with America, or America is what's wrong with people like you. You've got me in a real chicken/egg quandary here.

I'll make it easy for you.

Did a mass shooting occur ? Or was the mass shooting stopped ?

You see they are opposites. One happened or the other happened.

I'd essentially addressed this earlier in the topic when I said that you can't really tell how many mass killings were stopped before they started because, well, they were stopped.

And that kind of thing isn't all that newsworthy especially to an anti-gun media that doesn't want to celebrate people defending themselves against 'protected classes'.

But here's a fun resource for you to read about everyday people who stood up and defended themselves, their families, and sometimes their communities:

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:02 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

I'd essentially addressed this earlier in the topic when I said that you can't really tell how many mass killings were stopped before they started because, well, they were stopped.

And that kind of thing isn't all that newsworthy especially to an anti-gun media that doesn't want to celebrate people defending themselves against 'protected classes'.
/

More nonsense.

The media loves hero stories and if some guy wearing a flak jacket and two rifles gets killed before heading into a school, it's front page news in Canada and the US. That person would be celebrated.

To insinuate otherwise shows how deep your pro-gun retardation goes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:28 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

I wouldn't include the bar fights or domestic shootings as the same thing as a mass shooting because as bad as they are they generally don't descend into someone going for a high score. The mass shootings are a far different animal, as separate from a drunk shooting someone he's pissed off at in the bar. Mass shootings are more similar to serial killings, not motivated by passion but by deep mental/emotional disturbance or some kind of radicalization.

This is why as much as these incidents piss me off I don't advocate gun bans. The only solution is to keep guns out of the hands of disturbed people but there's no indication that will ever happen because the law and the politicians have been so corrupted by money that it's essentially not repairable. If climate change means having to adapt to extreme weather then the inability to stop mass shootings is just another thing that Americans will have to adapt to as well. :|

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:34 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:32 pm

:mrgreen:

Attachments:
firearmsidentification.jpg
firearmsidentification.jpg [ 94.57 KiB | Viewed 50 times ]
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:41 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
bootlegga bootlegga:
DO CIVILIANS WITH GUNS EVER STOP MASS SHOOTINGS

Then the answer is a categorical YES.

From the pages of the NRA National Rifleman magazine:

$1:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the dark days following the British Expeditionary Force's evacuation from Dunkirk in 1940, Great Britain was a nation virtually disarmed. And not just by the need to abandon equipment on France's beaches to save British "Tommies" to fight another day, but by the policies of its own government. The days of devotion to civilian markmanship, "volunteer rifle clubs" and the idea that there should be "a rifle in every cottage," as proposed by the Prime Minister Marquis of Salisbury in 1900, had given way to restrictive gun control laws that required subjects to demonstrate "good reason" to merely obtain a handgun or rifle. So with Hitler's legions poised to cross the English Channel, the British people were defended by an ill-equipped and defeated army and a "Home Guard" armed with little more than sporting shotguns and pikes.

Help for the beleaguered nation came from both the American government and from the American people, the latter through the "American Committee for Defense of British Homes." In late 1940, the committee sent an urgent appeal -- which, of course, appeared in American Rifleman -- for Americans to send "Pistols - Rifles - Revolvers - Shotguns - Binoculars" because "British civilians, faced with the threat of invasion, desperately need arms for the defense of their homes." Thousands of arms were collected and sent to England, one of which was a .30-'06 Model 1903 target rifle owned by Major John W. Hession. Hession was one of the pre-eminent highpower rifle target shooters of his day, and he used that rifle to win Olympic gold at Bisley Camp in England in 1908. The rifle, unlike the majority sent, was returned and can now be viewed int he national Firearms Museum.

The U.S. Government responded to Britain's peril as well with passage of the Lend-Lease Act in March 1941. Almost immediately, quantities of "U.S. Rifle, Cal. .30, M1" were on their way across the Atlantic, and those guns are the subject of an article by noted M1 Garand historian Scott Duff starting on p. 42. The "British Garands" have an interesting history but the importance of arming the British at that time is made clear by the fact that the rapidly growing U.S. Army itself did not have sufficient numbers of the then-new M1 Garands. Winston Churchill wrote in Their Finest Hour: "When the ships from America approached our shores with their priceless arms, special trains were waiting in all ports to receive their cargoes. The Home Guard in every county, in every village, sat up through the night to receive them. ... By the end of July we were an armed nation ... ."

Now, sadly, Britain is again a disarmed nation, where even Olympic athletes wanting to represent their country cannot own a handgun and where an act of self-defense can land a subject in jail. As with virtually all rifles and handguns, those likely few remaining guns sent to England in its time of desperate need have been confiscated and destroyed. Despite the very near enslavement of England being so close a mere six decades ago, the lesson of the false promises of gun control and personal disarmament were not learned.

Sincerely, ... Mark A Keefe, IV -- Editor

:roll:

Yet another red herring - a war is not a mass shooting.

Even if your editorial had anything to do with civilians shooting other civilians (which it doesn't), your source is a highly biased one.

Would you take a similar article from a gun control organization and accept it as fact?

Doubtful.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:54 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

/

More nonsense.

The media loves hero stories and if some guy wearing a flak jacket and two rifles gets killed before heading into a school, it's front page news in Canada and the US. That person would be celebrated.

To insinuate otherwise shows how deep your pro-gun retardation goes.

Here's a link with a large number of armed self-defense stories as reported by the NRA:

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen/

Only about 2% of them are sourced from TV or newspapers. Meaning that the media ignores 98% of the acts of armed self-defense that take place.

To ignore this only shows how deep your anti-gun derangement goes. :idea:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:58 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
... a war is not a mass shooting.

[stupid]

This is the absolute most ignorant and absurd comment I've seen on the entire 'net all year! :roll:

WTF is war if it isn't a mass shooting?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:02 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

So soldiers are all loonies who can't get girls and live in their mother's basements?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:06 am

andyt andyt:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

So soldiers are all loonies

This much is true. :idea:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:07 am

By your conflation of mass shooters and soldiers, they would also all be murderers.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:19 am

Guns are heavy, no way am I packing one of those around all day. :D

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next