Title: Donald Sutherland blasts ruling on long-term expats' right to vote
Category: Misc CDN
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2015-07-29 07:54:27
Canadian

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:26 am

This is a tricky situation as far as I am concerned. Donald is a bit unique in that he is only a Canadian citizen, however, where is his primary residence?

I can see his argument, but I also think of the counter argument, "why should someone who isn't in any way (or minimally) impacted be able to vote the government that is impacting the rest of the country?" If he lives here primarily, pays taxes, the vote he cast has a personal consequence . As it is, he was born here, he's a proud Canadian, great, to say these things and move to another country is talking the talk not walking the walk.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:30 am

shockedcanadian shockedcanadian:
This is a tricky situation as far as I am concerned. Donald is a bit unique in that he is only a Canadian citizen, however, where is his primary residence?

$1:
The 80-year-old, Saint John-born Sutherland continues by outlining his Canuck credentials, from the fact that he spends as much time living in Canada as he can and that his "family house" is in Canada to some of accolades he's received, such as the Order of Canada, the Governor General's Performing Arts Award and a star on Canada's Walk of Fame.

shockedcanadian shockedcanadian:
I can see his argument, but I also think of the counter argument, "why should someone who isn't in any way (or minimally) impacted be able to vote the government that is impacting the rest of the country?" If he lives here primarily, pays taxes, the vote he cast has a personal consequence . As it is, he was born here, he's a proud Canadian, great, to say these things and move to another country is talking the talk not walking the walk.

$1:
"My name is Donald Sutherland. My wife's name is Francine Racette. We are Canadians. We each hold one passport. A Canadian passport. That's it,"

$1:
"Americans who live abroad can vote. They can vote because they're citizens," ...

"But I can't. Because why? Because I'm not a citizen? Because what happens to Canada doesn't matter to me? Ask any journalist that's ever interviewed me what nationality I proudly proclaim to have. Ask them. They'll tell you. I am a Canadian. But I'm an expatriate and the Harper government won't let expatriates participate in Canadian elections."

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:40 am

then if he wants to, he can pay Canada tax on his income, just like the US demands of it's citizens living abroad. I am sure his income threshold is high to trigger the payment if he is so patriotic.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:55 pm

Despite paying property tax on two properties and income tax on income earned through investments, my wife and I weren't allowed to vote in the last federal election due to the five year rule.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:03 pm

do you live in the US? if you do, you have a horrible accountant.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:21 pm

No, we've been back in Canada since the end of 2012. We had to pay income tax on investment income....didn't pay anything on income earned overseas.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:52 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
No, we've been back in Canada since the end of 2012. We had to pay income tax on investment income....didn't pay anything on income earned overseas.

Well now that you're back you can stump for Justin and get this law changed.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:26 pm

Donald Sutherland is an idiot. He blames the Harper government for a law that was passed in 1993? Seriously? That was Jean Chretien territory, or at the very minimal, Kim Campbell. Regardless, several governments ago.

Just another old man griping about something because of all that spare time he has.

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:46 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
Donald Sutherland is an idiot.

Yep. He's also a pretty decent "B" actor.