CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:36 am

As astonishing evidence of the raw appeal of the robes of victimhood, the female motorist who struck and killed a teenage cyclist 18 months ago is now suing the estate of the dead boy for more than $1 million.

According to a statement of claim filed in Ontario Superior Court last December by the woman’s lawyer, Sharlene Simon “has sustained and will sustain great pain and suffering,” including “a severe shock to her system” as a result of the crash.

“…her enjoyment of life has been and will be lessened,” the document says.

Also named in the $1.35-million suit are two other boys who were with Brandon Majewski when Simon’s Kia Sorrento hit the trio, and the County of Simcoe, responsible for maintenance of Innisfil Beach Road in the town of Innisfil, about 80 kilometres north of Toronto.

Brandon was 17 when, with his 16-year-old friends Richard McLean and Jake Roberts, the trio decided to cycle to a coffee shop late one fall Saturday night.

They were returning to their homes about 1:30 a.m. on Oct. 28, 2012, riding abreast along the two-lane paved rural road, when they were hit from behind by Simon’s black SUV.

Brandon took the brunt of the impact, and was thrown over the roof of the car; he was barely alive when paramedics arrived, and despite vigorous efforts at resuscitation, was pronounced dead about two hours later at the Royal Victoria Health Centre in Barrie.

Richard’s bike was struck simultaneously, and he was later transferred to St. Michael’s Hospital in downtown Toronto, where he spent weeks recovering from his injuries. The third boy, Jake, was knocked off his bike, but wasn’t seriously hurt.

A collision-reconstruction team from the South Simcoe Police Service investigated the crash; their 26-page report found that the “lack of visibility” of the cyclists “was the largest contributing factor,” and that on a dark overcast night, “the driver of the Kia did not see the cyclists on the roadway and was unable to make an evasive reaction.”

The report says police consulted with a local Crown prosecutor, who told them there was “absolutely no reasonable prospect of conviction and that no charges should be laid.”

But Brandon’s father, Derek Majewski, was gobsmacked this week when he walked out of his lawyer Brian Cameron’s office having just learned that, as he put it, “my dead son and the boys are being sued by the woman that killed him because she is distraught.

“Normally, I would not react like this,” he told Postmedia in an email, “but I think it’s very cruel.”

The death of their bright and popular son shattered the Majewski family, he said in a phone interview, voice growing thick with emotion. About six months after Brandon’s death, his older brother Devon, who had taken Brandon’s death particularly hard, died in his sleep from a combination of pharmaceuticals and alcohol.

Majewski and his ex-wife, Venetta Mlynczyk, have lingering questions about the quality of the investigation.

They particularly believe that the boys were blamed for the accident that killed Brandon — that it was their fault because only two of the bikes had what the police called “minimal reflectors,” because they were riding abreast, because their clothing was dark, albeit with reflectors, because they weren’t wearing helmets.

As Majewski put it, “They’re kids; they’re allowed to make a mistake.”

Mlynczyk later complained to the Office of the Independent Police Review Director — she alleged that one of the investigators from South Simcoe was friends with Simon’s husband, Jules Simon, and, in essence, that the investigation was mismanaged or biased.

That complaint was referred back to the South Simcoe force for investigation, and in a September 2013 report, the review concluded that the allegation of discreditable conduct against the officer was unsubstantiated and that the original probe was thorough.

Majewski remains concerned that the force investigated itself, and said he had expected that an outside force, such as the Ontario Provincial Police, would have been asked to handle it.

The South Simcoe review also addressed a number of the mother’s other concerns, many of which appeared to have sprung from town rumours.

One such was that Simon’s husband, Jules, was a member of the South Simcoe force, but as the report to Brandon’s mother said, in fact he is an officer with York Regional Police who had never met the investigator from Simcoe before.

The report also confirmed that Simon, who acknowledged driving at about 90 km/h, above the 80 km/h limit, wasn’t required to take a breathalyzer test because there were “no grounds to request” one. A roadside screening device was administered “out of an abundance for caution,” the report said, and registered “zero alcohol content in her blood system.”

That report didn’t address what Majewski says South Simcoe police told him — that Simon’s husband had been following her home on the night in question.

Jules Simon didn’t respond to an email sent to his York Regional email address, nor did his wife’s lawyer, Michael Ellis, reply to a voice-mail message.

Majewski, Mlynczyk, their new partners and their children are also suing the Simons and Simcoe County for a total of $900,000. Their suit alleges Sharlene Simon was speeding, under the influence or texting at the time of the accident, and that Jules Simon allowed her to drive the SUV when “he knew or ought to have known” she was in no condition to do so.

None of the claims in either suit has been tested or proved.

However, the Majewski-Mlynczyk statement of claim, filed last March, is much more the norm: Whatever else, it is their son who was killed.

But now Sharlene Simon, her husband and mother and her three children are suing Brandon’s estate and the boys who were with him that night.

After all, as her statement of claim says, “Her enjoyment of life has been irretrievably lessened…,” though not as much, say, as was Brandon’s.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/natio ... story.html
=======================================
This one should be interesting. Cyclists want to share the road but do they want to share the responsibility?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:40 am

What were the odds that some window licking fucktard like yourself would cheerlead for the driver suffering from a poor me moment after killing a cyclist and now suing for a big cash pay out?

Seems like it was pretty good odds. :P

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:43 am

"Sorry I ran over your kids... but I'm scarred for life...

So give me money."

How she could show her face in public now is beyond me.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:50 am

saturn_656 saturn_656:

So give me money."

She'll likely have a hard time after this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:52 am

Gunnair Gunnair:
What were the odds that some window licking fucktard like yourself would cheerlead for the driver suffering from a poor me moment after killing a cyclist and now suing for a big cash pay out?

What were the odds that you would shit your pants this morning and complain about a post of mine :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:53 am

If I was in her situation I would count my lucky stars I wasn't facing years in prison. The very idea of suing the family of someone I killed would never enter my mind. I'm thinking her life might get a touch more "interesting" in a way she won't like.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:14 am

I bet this is I'm suing you so you don't do it to me moment.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:15 am

jj2424 jj2424:
Gunnair Gunnair:

What were the odds that you would shit your pants this morning and complain about a post of mine :P

Pointing out your shitiot ramblings is a full on spectator sport, fucko. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:21 am

jj2424 jj2424:

The report also confirmed that Simon, who acknowledged driving at about 90 km/h, above the 80 km/h limit, wasn’t required to take a breathalyzer test because there were “no grounds to request” one. A roadside screening device was administered “out of an abundance for caution,” the report said, and registered “zero alcohol content in her blood system.”

I had a small fender bender in January, got hit from behind.

The cops showed up, and did a breathalyzer for me and the other driver.

They also told me they do everyone now, exactly to avoid
the police being able to use any kind of discretion.

This bitch and her lawyer should both be hung for being .... themselves.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:22 am

Regina Regina:

Yep, sounds like a countersuit. I don't blame her, sounds like the cyclists were at fault, and now she's hit with ridiculous allegations that she was drunk or texting with no evidence for it. Of course of the parents drop their suit, she should drop hers. She won't be able to collect anyway, what estate do the boys have?

We cyclists have to do our share to keep safe, light lights and bright clothing at night.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:14 am

andyt andyt:
Regina Regina:

Yep, sounds like a countersuit. I don't blame her, sounds like the cyclists were at fault, and now she's hit with ridiculous allegations that she was drunk or texting with no evidence for it. Of course of the parents drop their suit, she should drop hers. She won't be able to collect anyway, what estate do the boys have?

We cyclists have to do our share to keep safe, light lights and bright clothing at night.

Agreed. Point missed however.

The boys were at fault that is clear but for the driver to then sue the estate of the boys she killed and injured - and she has her own part to play by speeding - is why she is being taken to task.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:18 am

I get it. If she wasn't being sued I would join your chorus. But, if I was being sued, especially if I'm not at fault, I would do everything to defend myself as well.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:31 am

saturn_656 saturn_656:

So give me money."

Ever accidentally killed anyone?

I don't think any of us have accidentally killed a person, especially a person who was at fault in the accident.

I can't imagine how I'd feel killing someone accidentally like this, but it surely is an awful thing to live with. I witnessed two kids die in a traffic accent and it still haunts me. I couldn't imaging being involved in the accident itself.

The boys actions led to this women suffering mentally, likely for the rest of her life. If the family of the boy found the need to sue for an accident their child caused, I see no reason why the woman wouldn't return the favour. It's equally cruel for the family to sue the woman.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:33 am

Hell just froze over.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:35 am

Hell? Shit I agree with Andyt 8O :lol: