GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Time for the road trip to end all......

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:01 pm

Yeah, that's definitely one to do before departing this mortal coil.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:22 pm

I'll have to get a Titan tank for the truck before I try that one. I don't feel like lugging around a bunch of extra diesel jerries.

Also, wonder what the CAA response rate is on that road?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:54 pm

Canadian_Mind wrote:
I'll have to get a Titan tank for the truck before I try that one. I don't feel like lugging around a bunch of extra diesel jerries.

Days. :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:27 am

martin14 wrote:
Canadian_Mind wrote:

Days. :lol:

Nice. I figured it would at least be a week.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:41 am

If you take the Dempster highway, it would be. You can't travel it without at least 2 spare tires. ;)

I'd love to drive this new highway. I know the locals don't want tourists, but it's my favourite place in Canada to travel.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:11 am

Good to hear that Canada is reinforcing it's territorial integrity in the north. This will go a long way to frustrating the claims of both Russia and China in the region.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:22 am

DrCaleb wrote:
If you take the Dempster highway, it would be. You can't travel it without at least 2 spare tires. ;)

I'd love to drive this new highway. I know the locals don't want tourists, but it's my favourite place in Canada to travel.

I try to explain things like the Dempster to these silly Euros.

The look of utter incomprehension is funny to watch.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:32 am

martin14 wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:

I try to explain things like the Dempster to these silly Euros.

The look of utter incomprehension is funny to watch.

They enjoy the benefit of thousands (tens!) of years of human civilization. There are probably still places in Canada where you might be the first human to be there.

But the Dempster . . . that is an adventure! I recall that abandoned drilling platform in the bay at Tuk. ;) Always an adventure traveling it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:07 pm

There's still about half of Québec that you can't get there by road... even though the Arctic Circle doesn't pass over the province. :(

The furthest north I can go by road is the Caniapiscau reservoir at the end of the Trans-Taiga Road. This is the farthest you can get from a town on a road anywhere in North America, 745 km from Radisson.

Maybe your new road can beat that record. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:45 am

raydan wrote:
The furthest north I can go by road is the Caniapiscau reservoir at the end of the Trans-Taiga Road. This is the farthest you can get from a town on a road anywhere in North America, 745 km from Radisson.

A long time ago! The Dempster Highway is a lot further north than the Trans Tiaga road.

Map of the Trans Tiaga area:

The Dempster goes from Dawson City to Inuvik:

And the new Highway goes from Inuvik to Tuktoyuktuk:

Us southerners don't understand how important it is to have this highway. We can go to the local grocery store for bread or milk, but in the North if you see those things they probably had a seat on a plane to get to you. That's why 4l of milk costs $25.00 or expired three days ago. 8O

With this highway, produce can come to them cheaper. Diets can change. People can eat healthier now that diets in the north are changing.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:34 am

Yeah that is important. We're 53 kms by paved road off the main highway and only need to pay $1 jug and $1 a loaf extra. The nickel extra on gas is explained by the $2,000 cost to drive it those extra 100 kms!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:36 pm

DrCaleb wrote:
raydan wrote:

A long time ago! The Dempster Highway is a lot further north than the Trans Tiaga road.

Map of the Trans Tiaga area:

The record is that it's the farthest you can get from any town, not the farthest north. Here's the last part of that road. For the record, Brisay isn't a town, it's a hydroelectric power station. Radisson is the closest town from Caniapiscau.