Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:59 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
$1:
"Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues," GQ quoted Robertson as saying.

Indeed they were singing the blues. That's exactly where the blues came from. That's a rather dumb statement. His general observations are those of a lot of people, particularly southerners, around the time of the civil rights movement. The claim that "our negroes are happy" was very common. The view of slavery was that blacks weren't one of God's more refined creations and that white people were doing them a favour civilizing them and saving their souls ("they were godly"). You have to remember that the Bible has no problem with slavery.

My own view is that it's not really my business what consenting adults get up to in their bedrooms. And that everyone should have equal opportunity, which means slavery is out.

Guy's entitled to his opinions. A&E is entitled to do as they please with respect to their business relationship with him.

I agree. That was a very ignorant comment. But as some one of our posters said (paraphrased) they asked a backwoods redneck a loaded question and they're supposedly shocked by his answer.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:08 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:
$1:
"Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues," GQ quoted Robertson as saying.

Indeed they were singing the blues. That's exactly where the blues came from. That's a rather dumb statement. His general observations are those of a lot of people, particularly southerners, around the time of the civil rights movement. The claim that "our negroes are happy" was very common. The view of slavery was that blacks weren't one of God's more refined creations and that white people were doing them a favour civilizing them and saving their souls ("they were godly"). You have to remember that the Bible has no problem with slavery.

My own view is that it's not really my business what consenting adults get up to in their bedrooms. And that everyone should have equal opportunity, which means slavery is out.

Guy's entitled to his opinions. A&E is entitled to do as they please with respect to their business relationship with him.

I agree. That was a very ignorant comment. But as some one of our posters said (paraphrased) they asked a backwoods redneck a loaded question and they're supposedly shocked by his answer.

That backwards redneck has got enough business savy, I bet, to know when to answer as a backwoods redneck. In a board meeting, I bet he doesn't sound like so much of a hick when there's business decision to be made.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:10 am

Here I was, thinking that ignorance is not an excuse. Unless of course it comes from a backwoods redneck. Then it is.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:13 am

I always thought that farmers were rednecks because of the neck sunburns. Now I am thinking all these years I have been wrong. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:18 am

To me, the viewing audience let the crazy dogs into their homes and laughed at their antics. And now one of them has taken a huge, stinky crap on the living room rug.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:24 am

DonnaWho DonnaWho:
I always thought that farmers were rednecks because of the neck sunburns. Now I am thinking all these years I have been wrong. :lol:

Redneck used to mean hard-working from being out in the sun all day. Now unfortunately, thanks to the retarded behaviour of people like the duckers and too many other hicks, oafs, and bigots, it's now synonymous with dumb-ass. :|

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:25 am

Oh, christ, big fucking deal. It's just getting attention because gays are cause du jour. Many Christians believe that most of humanity will go to hell because they don't believe in Jesus or just beleive a different version of Christianity than they do. If he had said that, nobody would have blinked, but say gays are sinners and people light their hair on fire. It's one guy's opinion, who the fuck cares. He didn't call for violence against gays, didn't say being gay should be illegal or what have you. (At least I assume he didn't). I mean straight people who fuck people other than their spouses are sinners too - again, if he said that, nobody would bat an eye.

Good for gays and their supporters for pushing for equal rights, but jeez they can get on my nerves with how precious they are. Same with various ethnic groups.

We had Martin call somebody a fag on this forum. AFAIK that's a deadly insult, seems worse than saying gays are sinners - no comment on that.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:30 am

Brenda Brenda:
Here I was, thinking that ignorance is not an excuse. Unless of course it comes from a backwoods redneck. Then it is.

It's not an excuse, it's just an observation of nature. I'd react the same way if someone got their panties in a knot over a spokesman from Hamas saying something nasty about the Jews in answer to a question about the Jews. Not that I'd be excusing the guy from Hamas, but asking the 'offended' person what they expected in the first place?

Seriously, the only reason the interviewer from GQ asked this question was so they could manufacture a controversy to pump up their flagging circulation numbers.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:39 am

That's his job. It is Phil Robertson's job to remember he is a business man. He made a stupid decision by answering those questions the way he did. Sucks to be on the receiving end of the stick now.

I have no empathy for the man.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:45 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Gunnair Gunnair:
You may want to speak only for yourself, Doc, and not the group. I doubt everyone agrees with your assessment.

True enough. Because of his past actions, *I* don't believe Bart would send threatening PMs, because he has been quite willing to publish his intentions openly for all to see previously.

I might be wrong, but I highly doubt it.

Yeah! I wouldn't threaten someone in private messaging, I'd do it in public!

Thanks for covering my six, Doc! You're the best! :lol:

No problem. ;) Sorry if that didn't come out right.

I just think if you had a problem with someone requiring such a post, you'd be the kind of person would would be up front about it and not the kind who would post one thing in public and something else in private. Or you'd keep your 'sammich hole' shut and never do such a thing to begin with. ;)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:54 am

[B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:09 pm

Well, that was quick

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/2 ... lp00000009

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:21 pm

Brenda Brenda:

No surprise. I figured the folks at A&E would be $ensitive.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:23 pm

They probably need the duckers money to cover what they're going to lose in the Dave Hester lawsuit. :mrgreen:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:09 pm

$1:
Gunnair Gunnair:
I agree. That was a very ignorant comment. But as some one of our posters said (paraphrased) they asked a backwoods redneck a loaded question and they're supposedly shocked by his answer

That backwards redneck has got enough business savy, I bet, to know when to answer as a backwoods redneck. In a board meeting, I bet he doesn't sound like so much of a hick when there's business decision to be made.

Bingo. [cheer]

I wonder if anyone has actually read his bio. Phil Robertson is a university educated star athlete who was offered a contract with the Washington Redskins before he left Louisiana Tech to become a drop out which, was common in the 60's.

So peoples attempts to label him as an ignorant redneck aren't exactly accurate and his homophobic rant to QC was likely a well place shot across A&E's bow to get their attention while furthering his own agenda which, was probably being allowed to be more religious on the show.

Despite his down home homilies and aw shucks attitude you hit the nail on the head. He's a well educated, well travelled, shrewd business man who does things for a reason and since A&E has relented and put him back on the show we'll probably see what he really wanted.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 498 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 20  21  22  23  24  25  26 ... 34  Next