CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

Warnings: (40%)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:57 am

rickc rickc:
Thanos Thanos:
$1:
Dundas, an influential Scottish politician, was opposed to ending the British Empire's participation in the transatlantic slave trade when the proposal was brought forth near the end of the 18th century.

His opposition served to stall its abolition, which kept hundreds of thousands of people, many of them Black, in bondage and allowed many more to be enslaved.

Not posthumously honouring slavers seems like a no-brainer. A better question would be as to why it took until now to get around to it. Just because we're finally noticing that it's incredibly difficult to find actual heroes to honour doesn't make it OK to acknowledge some obvious villains due to our collective lack of imagination & creativity. :|

A slaver huh? Henry Dundas never owned a slave in his life. In 1776 Mr. Dundas was a lawyer in Scotland. Mr. Dundas represented Mr. Joseph Knight. Mr. Knight was purchased as a slave in Jamaica, and brought to Scotland. Mr. Dundas argued Mr. Knight's case before the highest court in Scotland, and won. Not only did Mr. Dumas win emancipation for Mr. Knight, but all African slaves in Scotland as well. The ruling put an end to serfdom as well. How many slaves have these whiny cancel culture dipships freed?

In 1792 a motion was put before the British House of Commons to end the slave trade. The same motion was brought up the year before in 1791. That motion was defeated by a 163-88 vote. It did not look like anything was going to be different this time. Mr. Dundas stated for the record that he had always been against the slave trade. Mr. Dundas added the word gradual to the motion being proposed. By arguing for a gradual rather than sudden end to the slave trade, Mr. Dundas was able to turn the 163-88 loss from the previous year into a 230-85 victory. Its called compromise (something that is sorely lacking in todays politics). Mr. Dundas's amendment resulted in Parliament voting to end the slave trade for the first time. Nowadays the cancel culture crowd wants to blame all the delays on Mr. Dundas. That would be like a Canadian politician proposing a compromise amendment so Canada could procure some ships for her navy. 50 years go by without procuring a single ship, and the guy that made the proposal for the amendment gets all the blame. Yeah its all his fault. He died 40 years ago, but what the hell. Sound familiar? Everyone is always looking for a scapegoat when it comes to shitty government.

The facts of the matter are that Mr. Dundas DID actually free slaves. Mr. Dundas organised an amendment to pass a motion, a motion that dramatically failed the year before. Mr. Dundas is responsible for Parliament voting to end the British slave trade for the first time. All those whiny culture canceling libtards living in their parents basements can bitch all they want to, but those are the facts.

You could have just linked his wikipedia instead of typing all that out. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:03 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

So, two points here rick;

1) What about these comments makes you believe that Toronto should name important streets after the man?, and;

2) What the fuck does a child who was tortured by the US military have to do with the discussion?

Or an unarmed black ban who was strangled to death in the streets by police?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:51 am

I think it would be cool to rename Dundas St. to Prince St, Major St, or Pegahmagabow St.

In honour of either Tommy Prince, Leo Major or Francis Pegahmagabow. All great Canadians, I think it would also be a cool nod to the Military History of Toronto.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:12 am

Tricks Tricks:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

So, two points here rick;

1) What about these comments makes you believe that Toronto should name important streets after the man?, and;

2) What the fuck does a child who was tortured by the US military have to do with the discussion?

Or an unarmed black ban who was strangled to death in the streets by police?

I was going somewhere with my argument. We'll see if he responds. ;)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:01 am

llama66 llama66:
I think it would be cool to rename Dundas St. to Prince St, Major St, or Pegahmagabow St.

In honour of either Tommy Prince, Leo Major or Francis Pegahmagabow. All great Canadians, I think it would also be a cool nod to the Military History of Toronto.

I can definitely get behind naming it after a Canadian figure instead of someone who never stepped foot in Canada.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:08 pm

gotta love reformism and all the loss of life accomplished for its sake, my dream is to die in a liberal twenty-year waiting period between guaranteed hell and piecemeal progress

maybe if our aristocrats and slavelords vote to "gradually" remove his name then we simple folk can agree?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:10 pm

i am 100% in favour of naming it after the child our psychotic state fed to the bloodthirsty American torture machine.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:49 pm

llama66 llama66:

That I could live with. Still don't like the fact that cancel culture keeps doing this in the first place, however. They seem to focus on the negatives and not the positives.

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:13 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
llama66 llama66:

That I could live with. Still don't like the fact that cancel culture keeps doing this in the first place, however. They seem to focus on the negatives and not the positives.

-J.

See, saying slavery had 'positives' is how people lose their job, IRL.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:14 pm

Or their life:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:12 pm

llama66 llama66:

R=UP

Francis Pegahmagabow and Tommy Prince were straight heroes and what happened to them after the wars ended (WW1 and WW2 respectively) was a tragedy.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:26 pm

llama66 llama66:

R=UP

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:30 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
llama66 llama66:

-J.

I’m not up on what cancel culture is! What exactly is being canceled here?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:10 pm

Dundas never set foot in Canada. Who gives a flying fuck if we choose to rename the street.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:39 pm

llama66 llama66:
Who gives a flying fuck if we choose to rename the street.

I do, and so should everyone. Cancel culture and the snowflakes that populate are suddenly thriving under weak leftist leaders that encourage this nonsense (Trudeau, Tory) and need to stopped and put in their place, and now.

Either we all try to coexist and learn from the past, or it's time for civil war.

-J.