canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:30 pm

Where will it be built? My cat, Mr. Mittens has COPD. It can't be anywhere within a 1034km range of her.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:46 pm

It's time for people to think about banning all single-use plastics and I mean a lot of the plastics used in medical places too! We can use glass and paper again!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:02 pm

MeganC wrote:
It's time for people to think about banning all single-use plastics and I mean a lot of the plastics used in medical places too! We can use glass and paper again!

R=UP

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:11 pm

On a serious note, yeah... its time for us to go back to Glass and paper, Incineration too, as long as its clean... It can also be a minor form of energy.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:23 pm

Thanos wrote:
It needs to be done, like it or not. The landfills can only hold so much and this nonsense of "recycle everything" is a complete con job. And look at this issue specifically, how it makes us look. With our endless self-congratulatory bullshit, combined with the usual apathy of not giving a damn once the garbage is out of our line of sight, Canada actually managed to make a creepy little murderer like Duterte into the good guy with this one. He's right - take care of our own trash at home instead of shipping it elsewhere to become someone else's problem. Like how far have we fallen down our own rabbit hole of total propagandistic delusion when that happens? :?

On the surface, it sounds crazy to ship our garbage/recyclables overseas, but from a business perspective, it actually makes economic sense.

Every year, millions of sea containers of goods arrive in North America stuffed with clothes, electronics, toys, etc. Does it make sense to ship them back empty?

Of course not, so they stuff as many as they can with recyclable paper, plastic, and cardboard, where huge Chinese companies like Nine Dragons recycle it into packaging for the next batch of the stuff coming over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Drag ... gs_Limited

Tons of other goods get shipped elsewhere to strip out copper and precious metals out of old electronics, vehicles and so on.

It all gets done overseas because it makes sense to co-locate those industries with the companies making crap for Europe and North America, and because of economy of scale, a lot of those recycling companies are quite profitable.

Instead of incinerating garbage, good old hippy dippy Edmontonhas built the the world’s first commercial-scale waste-to-biofuels facility of its kind and is designed to turn household garbage into biofuels and renewable chemicals.

https://www.edmonton.ca/programs_servic ... ility.aspx

But I do agree with you that we should be doing more of this work here, where and when we can. I'd also like to see some manufacturing come back here, but an entire generation has been hooked on cheap crap from Asia, so I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:46 pm

Cool - then all of NATO has to join us in battle against this guy. First strike policy...........

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:39 pm

Thanos wrote:
Not with the modern filtration systems to cut emissions that are available. We have the technology, today and right now, so we should do it. And this is just for one or two massive co-gen incineration facilities in each large city, not the false equivalency of bring back a leaf-burning oven in every back yard like back in the 1930' and 40's. Doing this would certainly beat being a bunch of NIMBYs with our usual "we're recycling! aren't we just so good!" bullshit where all the crap falling off the cargo ships taking trash to the far east just keeps making the Pacific Ocean garbage gyre that much worse every year. Or it just gets burned anyway in a massive fire pit in China or the Philippines because they're swamped with all the trash that's been shipped to them and they don't know what else they can do.

Not a big deal. Nothing this sensible will happen in our lifetime. The Big Sister types wanting to modify our behaviour and "improve" our greedy materialist souls will ensure that their way of shipping garbage around the planet instead of getting rid of it locally won't ever be challenged. I can see Nenshi warming up his "sustainability" speech and his shit-eating grin already.

We have a brand new state of the art waste incinerator here. Incinerator toxins are particularly prone to entering the food chain. The filters aren’t a magic solution, they’re just supposed to reduce the toxic emissions to some supposedly safe level but we all know those numbers aren’t carved in stone. Also sometimes they still exceed those levels:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thestar ... sions.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:53 pm

It's not a perfect solution but it's the one I'd opt for. The first would be the opportunities to build co-gen incinerators/electricity producers. The second, and far more important one, would be the dramatic reduction in plastic waste ending up in the oceans from being blown overboard or deliberately jettisoned. The technology can do something immediately about toxic emissions or toxic ash that builds up in the incinerators, and that technology is always improving. To me it seems a much better option than this non-stop bleating about recycling when it too is obviously not a perfect cure-all.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:07 am

We need to stop generating so much waste in the first place, most of it is completely unnecessary. Supposedly “disposable” products like lighters, razors etc. should be banned or heavily curtailed and we need to end all this unnecessary packaging that goes straight to the garbage. Dollar store junk that goes straight to the garbage after a week of use needs to stop. Single-use plastics need to be stopped. Using non-reusable / non-recyclable / non-biodegradable materials when a practical alternative is readily available needs to stop. Tax it, fine it, regulate it, whatever but it needs to be stopped.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:18 am

That much is true. Still can't understand why the government hasn't outright banned plastic bags at the stores. Charging 10c a bag hasn't made a difference at all in the number of them produced, given to customers, and then carelessly tossed out.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:12 am

MeganC wrote:

Concur.

If you saw the needless plastics that products arrive at my store in, you'd fall over. Triple-wrapped items inside boxes and such. I'm old enough to remember when most things were wrapped in paper. There is just way too much plastic these days.

So many people are out there freaking out about straws, but are the same people who buy cases of bottled water at the grocery store. I've seen empty water bottles almost everywhere they shouldn't be!

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:32 am

BeaverFever wrote:
We have a brand new state of the art waste incinerator here. Incinerator toxins are particularly prone to entering the food chain. The filters aren’t a magic solution, they’re just supposed to reduce the toxic emissions to some supposedly safe level but we all know those numbers aren’t carved in stone.

The waste management stream in Edmonton means very little makes it to the landfill. Most is recycled, and food waste is composted. An incinerator would mean only the very worst garmabe would get burnt. And if it's a hot enough furnace, toxins are reduced or eliminated.

And I agree, single use plastics should be banned. A&W for instance uses mostly paper now, including their straws.

And I'd like to see more stores that let you bring your own packaging. I put most of my foodstuffs in sealed jars anyway, to protect from mice. Why not fill them up at the store to start with? :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:12 am

DrCaleb wrote:
A&W for instance uses mostly paper now, including their straws.

Keep a metal straw in my backpack if I'm anywhere that still uses plastic.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:16 am

DrCaleb wrote:
And I'd like to see more stores that let you bring your own packaging. I put most of my foodstuffs in sealed jars anyway, to protect from mice. Why not fill them up at the store to start with? :)

About six months ago I started shopping for about 25% of our food at this place
http://www.bulkbasket.ca/#
If you don't bring your own containers he sells stuff to you in kraft paper bags. Bring your own glass jars for liquids. Besides, he's a very nice person who is eager to help :)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:32 am

fifeboy wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:

About six months ago I started shopping for about 25% of our food at this place
http://www.bulkbasket.ca/#
If you don't bring your own containers he sells stuff to you in kraft paper bags. Bring your own glass jars for liquids. Besides, he's a very nice person who is eager to help :)

There has been a place in Edmonton that is similar, https://earthsgeneralstore.ca/waste-reduced-store/

They've always had a bulk section where you could use your own containers. But their selection is a bit limited, and expensive.

Plus, it doesn't help the waste generated by all the big supermarkets. Europe is far ahead of us in that respect. There are a lot of big chain stores where you can bring your own containers, or that are cutting out things like cucumbers triple wrapped in plastic.