Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:19 am

DrCaleb wrote:
fifeboy wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
And I'd like to see more stores that let you bring your own packaging. I put most of my foodstuffs in sealed jars anyway, to protect from mice. Why not fill them up at the store to start with? :)

About six months ago I started shopping for about 25% of our food at this place
http://www.bulkbasket.ca/#
If you don't bring your own containers he sells stuff to you in kraft paper bags. Bring your own glass jars for liquids. Besides, he's a very nice person who is eager to help :)

There has been a place in Edmonton that is similar, https://earthsgeneralstore.ca/waste-reduced-store/

They've always had a bulk section where you could use your own containers. But their selection is a bit limited, and expensive.

Plus, it doesn't help the waste generated by all the big supermarkets. Europe is far ahead of us in that respect. There are a lot of big chain stores where you can bring your own containers, or that are cutting out things like cucumbers triple wrapped in plastic.

I could never understand buying fruits and veggies wrapped up in plastic. I like to inspect them before they go into the basket.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:33 am

fifeboy wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
fifeboy wrote:
About six months ago I started shopping for about 25% of our food at this place
http://www.bulkbasket.ca/#
If you don't bring your own containers he sells stuff to you in kraft paper bags. Bring your own glass jars for liquids. Besides, he's a very nice person who is eager to help :)

There has been a place in Edmonton that is similar, https://earthsgeneralstore.ca/waste-reduced-store/

They've always had a bulk section where you could use your own containers. But their selection is a bit limited, and expensive.

Plus, it doesn't help the waste generated by all the big supermarkets. Europe is far ahead of us in that respect. There are a lot of big chain stores where you can bring your own containers, or that are cutting out things like cucumbers triple wrapped in plastic.

I could never understand buying fruits and veggies wrapped up in plastic. I like to inspect them before they go into the basket.

Agreed. I won't buy the ones in individually wrapped plastic, because I want to see them. A bag full of oranges or apples, OK, but 3 cukes individually wrapped, then wrapped together? Naaa.

I like Superstore/Loblaws 'imperfect' line too. Good fruits and veggies for making juice. Don't GAF what they look like, I care how they taste!

And don't get me started on Whole Foods, that will peel and slice produce, then wrap it up!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:34 am

A lot of it is all just due to changes in shipping. Goodbye to glass and metal containers, hello plastic bottles, because of the lighter weight. Less weight means less fuel spent on transport as well as being able to load up a delivery truck with up to a quarter more of the containers per delivery. And much less breakage/lost product too because the plastic doesn't shatter the way glass does simply from a truck hitting a big enough pothole in the roadway. It's really just economic nuts-and-bolts, no malice intended, but these kinds of easy-to-make decisions obviously have a lot of negatives later on down the line.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:47 am

Thanos wrote:
A lot of it is all just due to changes in shipping. Goodbye to glass and metal containers, hello plastic bottles, because of the lighter weight. Less weight means less fuel spent on transport as well as being able to load up a delivery truck with up to a quarter more of the containers per delivery.

I can't imagine a cardboard box full of cucumbers isn't slightly heavier if they are wrapped in plastic as opposed to just 'as is' like they used to be. And yes, soup in single use plastic is lighter than in cans, but cans are easier to stack.

Thanos wrote:
And much less breakage/lost product too because the plastic doesn't shatter the way glass does simply from a truck hitting a big enough pothole in the roadway. It's really just economic nuts-and-bolts, no malice intended, but these kinds of easy-to-make decisions obviously have a lot of negatives later on down the line.

With natural gas being so cheap, plastics are much cheaper to produce than recycle. Because of that, China's advantage in labour costs to sort recyclable plastic from non-recyclable have disappeared. So they don't want our crap anymore. Now it's piling up. Things are going to have to change or we'll be buried in our own flotsam, or we'll choke every whale in the ocean to death on it.

For that price, I don't mind more glass and slightly higher costs.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:01 pm

MeganC wrote:
It's time for people to think about banning all single-use plastics and I mean a lot of the plastics used in medical places too! We can use glass and paper again!

Makes a hell of a lot of sense. R=UP

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:17 pm

DrCaleb wrote:

With natural gas being so cheap, plastics are much cheaper to produce than recycle. Because of that, China's advantage in labour costs to sort recyclable plastic from non-recyclable have disappeared. So they don't want our crap anymore. Now it's piling up. Things are going to have to change or we'll be buried in our own flotsam, or we'll choke every whale in the ocean to death on it.

For that price, I don't mind more glass and slightly higher costs.

I agree with all that. I think most people would be willing to pay twenty-five to fifty cents more per beverage for a return to glass and an abandonment of plastic, not to mention not having the guilt problems of the damn stuff killing both sea and land wildlife. Drinks in glass taste far better in glass anyway, and the drinker also don't have the risk of ingesting something nasty and long-term cancerous like bisphenol-A that comes from the plastic container forming process.

I do something with the plastic carry-rings whenever I buy a six-pack of anything, and I've done it for at least thirty years now. I cut them completely apart so none of the loops that go around the cans is intact. This is because I got so genuinely horrified when the local media ran a bunch of stories way back when of a duck living in one of the golf course water holes had gotten one of the damn things wrapped around his neck and wing and couldn't even fly anymore because of it. The park department guys eventually caught him after numerous attempts and saved him but the image of the poor thing in distress bothered me so much that it's still stuck in my head all these years later. Maybe I'm just weak to get all wounded up about something like that but I prefer to regard it as basic empathy for another living creature. Don't want something like that to ever happen to me, basically being strangled and crippled by a piece of discarded trash, and I don't want to see it happen to other lifeforms either. It's just wrong.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:12 am

Thanos wrote:
... Don't want something like that to ever happen to me, basically being strangled and crippled by a piece of discarded trash, and I don't want to see it happen to other lifeforms either. It's just wrong.

100% agree too. I don't usually buy 6 packs with the plastic rings, but I too chop them hell out of them after seeing a dolphin with one stuck on it's snout. If I buy pop/beer at the farmers market, my preferred vendor has a contraption that clips the cans together, and is made out of heavier plastic that doesn't float and is easily recycled.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:00 pm

Canada's garbage coming back from the Philippines

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:27 pm

Quote:
The Canadian offer came around the same time as the Philippines ordered its Bureau of Customs to get the containers back on a ship bound for Canada no later than May 15.

Lol.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:29 pm

Send it up the St. Lawrence because the BC coast is under strict protection. :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:35 pm

BC is special because the people who live there are so much more enlightened than the mere proles who live in the RoC.

It's true. Ask someone from BC, they'll confirm this for you. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:45 pm

South Park should have set their smell-your-own-self-righteous-farts episode, when everyone bought Priuses, in Vancouver instead of some suburb of Denver. :|

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:32 pm

In Vancouver you haven't seen smug until you meet people who drive a Prius or Tesla.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:58 pm

DrCaleb wrote:

I wasn’t even aware Ezra Levant was in the Philippines

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:21 pm

BeaverFever wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:

I wasn’t even aware Ezra Levant was in the Philippines

:lol: