canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:00 pm

Ebola: Spider's web of infection is growing as hunt continues for 30,000 'victims' of outbreak
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/ebola-spiders-web-infection-growing-3939374

‘He Could Have Brought Ebola Here’: Minnesota Widow on Her Husband
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/30/minnesota-widow-on-her-husband-he-could-have-brought-ebola-here.html

___

This is serious shit as over 600 people who've contracted the virus have died not to mention the virus was a plane ride away from making it to the United States and if there was an outbreak the CDC would be scrambling to contain it.

Canadian doctor quarantined after exposure to Ebola

http://news.yahoo.com/canadian-doctor-quarantined-exposure-ebola-222518109.html

The Canadian doctor who's put himself into quarantine after arriving home from the infected area in West Africa, wow. 8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:51 am

Fortunately it is fairly easy to contain. What makes it so deadly in Africa has mostly to do with people keeping the sick in their homes and all to often touching the bodies after they have bled out.

As I recall anyway.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:59 am

sandorski sandorski:
Fortunately it is fairly easy to contain. What makes it so deadly in Africa has mostly to do with people keeping the sick in their homes and all to often touching the bodies after they have bled out.

As I recall anyway.

I sincerely hope you're right.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:12 am

There is a US aid worker who now has it as well.

It only takes one person on a plane.....

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:26 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
sandorski sandorski:

As I recall anyway.

I sincerely hope you're right.

He is. Ebola is very easy to not get, like most viruses. It's not airborne, and the only way to get it is almost like HIV - you have to touch infected body fluids. With ebola, you can ingest them or just have them on your skin. HIV has to be blood to blood contact.

Don't touch the bleeding parts of an infected person, and you likely won't get it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:30 am

Plus it's too efficient of a disease. It kills quickly which makes it harder to transmit. The reason it's so bad in Africa right now is that these countries have almost no infrastructure to effectively contain this thanks to civil war. There are very few doctors in Liberia and even fewer with knowledge of how to combat Ebola. Add in local reliance on witch doctors and superstition and you've got a problem.

The anti-vaxxers are just as brain damaged but I'm sure even they would to go a doctor and accept quarantine if they started coughing up blood.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:17 am

With the US border crisis crossing into dangerous territory where sick illegals are being allowed to cross and fly on US air carriers it's only a matter of time before something like the Ebola virus spreads and makes it's way to Canada. 8O

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:24 am

BRAH BRAH:
With the US border crisis crossing into dangerous territory where sick illegals are being allowed to cross and fly on US air carriers it's only a matter of time before something like the Ebola virus spreads and makes it's way to Canada. 8O

Highly unlikely. The spread of ebola is fuelled by local burial customs - things we don't do here.

$1:
A Toronto doctor who specializes in the treatment of tropical diseases says it's unlikely a recent outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in West Africa could spread to North America.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/e ... -1.2722334

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:26 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BRAH BRAH:

Highly unlikely. The spread of ebola is fuelled by local burial customs - things we don't do here.

$1:
A Toronto doctor who specializes in the treatment of tropical diseases says it's unlikely a recent outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in West Africa could spread to North America.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/e ... -1.2722334

Let's hope because it's only one plane ride from reaching North America, didn't the Walking Dead start out like this? 8O :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:29 am

xerxes xerxes:
Plus it's too efficient of a disease. It kills quickly which makes it harder to transmit. The reason it's so bad in Africa right now is that these countries have almost no infrastructure to effectively contain this thanks to civil war. There are very few doctors in Liberia and even fewer with knowledge of how to combat Ebola. Add in local reliance on witch doctors and superstition and you've got a problem.

The anti-vaxxers are just as brain damaged but I'm sure even they would to go a doctor and accept quarantine if they started coughing up blood.

The other problem is that the people there believe they are being given Ebola by the white doctors as an experiment. They think the injections the docs are giving are ebola injections. Won't allow access to the village for help, will hide sick people. Basically we need a cordon sanitaire around the area with no travel out unless the person has been deemed infection free. No hopping on a plane and then dying and spreading the disease in a new place, as recently happened.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:42 am

xerxes xerxes:
The anti-vaxxers are just as brain damaged...

Your comment has a certain irony to it given that the 'anti-vaxxers' are not against vaccines they're just opposed to using the mercury-based preservatives that are commonly used in vaccines.

They (and I) refuse to use vaccines with these preservatives because the preservatives themselves are known to cause cause brain damage.

Note that I am not saying that they 'might be suspected' or some such, I'm saying this is a fact. It's a fact that is disclosed on the MSDS for Thimersol:

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9925236

In California the hazmat cleanup response to a single vial of vaccine being broken is a Class A fully-contained hazmat suit and then the material is disposed of as a level three neurotoxin.

But while your nurse will evacuate a doctor's office if she drops a vial of vaccine it's supposedly perfectly safe to inject into you and your kids.

And keep in mind that these medical professionals who push this toxic material are the same people who overprescribe OxyContin and Prozac because they get perks from the big pharma companies if they meet certain sales quotas. Forgive me if I'm not exactly trusting their every suggestion or their push of the latest medical fad.

I'm like many folks who will use vaccines if they're free of mercury-based preservatives, but I don't care to exchange one health problem for another.

Oh, and there's no vaccine for Ebola.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:56 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BRAH BRAH:

And of course this is how the 2 Americans caught it. :wink:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:57 am

$1:
Ebola now has been blamed for 729 deaths in four West African countries this year, and has shown no signs of slowing down particularly in Liberia and Sierra Leone. On Thursday, the WHO announced 57 new deaths -- 27 in Liberia, 20 in Guinea, nine in Sierra Leone and one in Nigeria.

$1:
Ebola cases first emerged in the nation of Guinea back in March, and later spread across the borders to Liberia and Sierra Leone. The outbreak is now the largest recorded in world history, and has infected three African capitals with international airports. Officials are trying to step up screening of passengers, though an American man was able to fly from Liberia to Nigeria, where authorities say he died days later from Ebola.

I suspect that the number of deaths is higher than reported given this...
$1:
In Sierra Leone, President Ernest Bai Koroma vowed to quarantine sick patients at home and have authorities conduct house-to-house searches for others who may have been exposed as the country struggles with families resisting treatment at isolation centres. Some have kept loved ones at home given the high death rates at clinics where Ebola patients are quarantined.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/ebola-toll-tops-700-sierra-leone-declares-emergency-1.1940013

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:00 am

martin14 martin14:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BRAH BRAH:

And of course this is how the 2 Americans caught it. :wink:

$1:
Ebola has no vaccine and no specific treatment, with a fatality rate of about 60 per cent in this particular outbreak. But experts say the risk of travellers contracting it is considered low because it requires direct contact with bodily fluids or secretions such as urine, blood, sweat or saliva. Ebola can't be spread like flu through casual contact or breathing in the same air.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:03 am

Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jul/30/chicken-pox-illegal-immigrant-facility-lockdown/

___

This isn't Ebola but it illustrates how fast a virus can spread.

Last edited by BRAH on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.