Title: Edmonton woman �giddy' about possible one-way trip to Mars
Category: Science
Posted By: wildrosegirl
Date: 2014-01-05 12:20:52
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:50 am

32 sounds awful young for a suicide pact...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:31 am

Well, ain't nobody going to be colonizing Mars by 2014. They got 10 years to build the ship and get it there. But they can't build the ship earth side. Anything with enough radiation shielding to even get a small crew to Mars would be too heavy to launch from Earth, never mind 24 colonists and all the plant and microbial life they'll have to take with them.
And I just don't see anybody building a proper inter-plantetary ship in orbit in the next decade either.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:49 am

All good points....

I remember when I was a kid, I had a shit-ton of these "Charlie Brown Encyclopedia" books. One of them said that in "ten or so years" (Which would have meant something like 2006-2008) we would already have massive space colonies, :lol:

We're lucky to even have the Space Station, 8O

Only difference between now and the Cold War... It used to be spy satellites and exciting missions... Now it's pretty much just spy satellites.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:38 am

I caught a bit of the news the other night and this 'bubbly' person was very excited about being a finalist as well.

Not sure why these people are okay with going on a one way trip as such, if it ever happens, but I'm not interested.

To put it simply, I prefer 'high quality, soft' toilet paper

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=267465

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:58 am

If my life situation were different I'd jump at the opportunity, despite the risks and not being able to return. Colonization of Mars isn't an "if" but a "when" and "if" this venture pans out these people will be the first.

Sure they may all die enroute, on landing, or from environmental hazards on the surface. Pushing the boundaries is dangerous, settling new frontiers is risky... but the prize!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:05 am

saturn_656 saturn_656:
If my life situation were different I'd jump at the opportunity, despite the risks and not being able to return. Colonization of Mars isn't an "if" but a "when" and "if" this venture pans out these people will be the first.

Sure they may all die enroute, on landing, or from environmental hazards on the surface. Pushing the boundaries is dangerous, settling new frontiers is risky... but the prize!

Ditto! R=UP I'd go in a heartbeat.

Exploration is what we do, and quite often we die in the process. People don't remember names like 'Franklin' or 'Shackleton' because they succeeded but because they failed, or died trying.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:10 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
Well, ain't nobody going to be colonizing Mars by 2014. They got 10 years to build the ship and get it there. But they can't build the ship earth side. Anything with enough radiation shielding to even get a small crew to Mars would be too heavy to launch from Earth, never mind 24 colonists and all the plant and microbial life they'll have to take with them.
And I just don't see anybody building a proper inter-plantetary ship in orbit in the next decade either.

[huh]

We went to the Moon 45 years ago and that same technology could get us to Mars. Now think that we've had 45 years of progress since then and now a Mars landing will probably be carried out by a private firm and not a government.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:15 am

$1:
“My friends are already calling me a Martian. I almost get giddy thinking about it.”

This might be a case of the grass being greener on the other side. Human beings weren't designed to stay on Mars, never mind living on Mars for the rest of your life. Maybe the 32 year old version of her is fine with this, but I wonder if the 65 year old version of her, assuming she lives that long, after living on Mars for 20 years would agree with her.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:16 am

There is no grass on Mars.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:18 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:

[huh]

We went to the Moon 45 years ago and that same technology could get us to Mars. Now think that we've had 45 years of progress since then and now a Mars landing will probably be carried out by a private firm and not a government.

The best hope for a govt run mission to Mars is a new space race. Without the competition between the Russians and Americans would there have been men on the moon in '69?

If China says "we will put men on Mars in 10 years" would that push NASA and friends to counter?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:57 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
There is no grass on Mars.

Crikey, you mean you have to life the rest of your life on Mars not stoned? Bummer.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:40 am

Wow, small world - I know her! She was in wife's MBA program.

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
saturn_656 saturn_656:

Ditto! R=UP I'd go in a heartbeat.

Exploration is what we do, and quite often we die in the process. People don't remember names like 'Franklin' or 'Shackleton' because they succeeded but because they failed, or died trying.

Take a look at Portugal - they lost somewhere in the neighbourhood of 75% of the men they sent during the Age of Discovery. Even Magellan, who is credited with circumnavigating the globe, didn't survive the entire trip.

Fortunately, things are looking up in this regard.

Thousands of people died during the first few decades of powered flight, and only a relative handful died in the Space Race.

As long as the trip to Mars is funded by an organization that cares more about the crew than it does the almighty dollar, odds are it will be fairly low risk.

Last edited by bootlegga on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:05 am

It would be worth the trip just for the view! :D
0:
milky way as seen from surface of mars.jpg
milky way as seen from surface of mars.jpg [ 26.98 KiB | Viewed 251 times ]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:10 am

You are not my friend anymore. :P