canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:37 am

Title: El Capitan: Tommy Caldwell, Kevin Jorgeson make historic free climb up Yosemite�s Dawn Wall
Category: World
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2015-01-15 06:24:16

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:37 am

An incredible feat! But, they spent 19 days getting up there and didn't bring rope. Getting down may be a problem. ;)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:57 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
An incredible feat! But, they spent 19 days getting up there and didn't bring rope. Getting down may be a problem. ;)

They brought plenty of rope, they just used it for protection only, not to bear their weight (except for sleeping).

I would have thought all this had been accomplished long ago, with such a prominent objective. In fact I thought El Cap had been free soloed (ie no ropes). Guess just not this route.

I can't see doing it myself. Climbers seem to be motivated by "points." I led a ski trip to a mountain, but decided not to go to the top, since it was a whiteout and high avalanche danger. Anyway, i go to ski, not climb. But the climbers in the group disappeared into the fog, because the trip wasn't worth it to them unless they got the "points" evne tho the peak was one you would just ski up, ie not a climb at all.

Had a friend climbing the face of the Chief at night. Lost her headlamp. Caused quite a bit of consternation among the drivers on the sea to sky who saw it fall.