canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:00 am

Title: Enbridge gas pipeline ruptures, sparking massive fire and evacuation north of Prince George, B.C.
Category: Environmental
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2018-10-10 05:56:36
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:00 am

I'm sure this could never happen anywhere near Kitimat.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:13 am

The important thing is how to find a way to blame this on Alberta.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:23 am

Thanos Thanos:

It's a pipeline, therefore it's our fault. Just like the extra 60 or 70 tankers a year in the Salish Sea will make a huge impact on the Orca Population, but thousands of ferry trips and overfishing of salmon don't.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:26 am

Eco self-righteousness is sacred. So are the millions of tons per year of American thermal coal that get shipped through Vancouver to China and India. :|

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:20 am

Fake news. Industrial accidents only happen in the 3rd world.
Just like ferries only sink in Bangladesh.
Besides this was almost a whole mile away from the settlement area, so we can keep mocking anyone with safety concerns.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:36 pm

All I meant that it was important to use incidents like this to demonize and then strategically cripple an entire industry. Sheesh, you'd think I was born yesterday. :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:46 pm

Thanos Thanos:
All I meant that it was important to use incidents like this to demonize and then strategically cripple an entire industry. Sheesh, you'd think I was born yesterday. :roll:

Interesting timing indeed

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:47 pm

I don't know about that. Enbridge DID spend millions on TV ads that left out the island with the sunken ferry that blocked the channel completely off their maps during the oil pipe promos just to fool the Canadian public, didn't they? Showed up at town hall meets with maps cropped within meters to of important marinas and creeks to stifle opposition too!

One thing about karma, the more effort that goes into playing down the chance of an incident, the sooner an incident will happen.

This just shows the difference between the fuels. Boom! Big fireball in the sky, no poisoned creeks or rivers, mucked up shores or spawning grounds. Supposed to turn my heat down a couple degrees for a couple days, that's all.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:26 pm

herbie herbie:
This just shows the difference between the fuels. Boom! Big fireball in the sky, no poisoned creeks or rivers, mucked up shores or spawning grounds. Supposed to turn my heat down a couple degrees for a couple days, that's all.

Methane is 30 times more potent than CO2.

Black carbon is 3,200 times more potent than CO2.

That rupture just provided the atmosphere with a shit ton (metric) of both.

Not that you care, as long as the effects aren't localized in your backyard, you don't give a shit.

Hypocrite.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:55 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Thanos Thanos:

It's a pipeline, therefore it's our fault. Just like the extra 60 or 70 tankers a year in the Salish Sea will make a huge impact on the Orca Population, but thousands of ferry trips and overfishing of salmon don't.

Why would anyone blame Alberta? I know I certainly don't and anyone reasonable are not going to point the blame to Alberta.

Sheesh. :roll:

An investigation is underway as to the cause. Let's wait and see what they find out and how they will fix it and avoid it from happening again.

The good news is that no one was injured and no damage done to anyone's homes or businesses. It must have been scary to see that fireball in the sky though. 8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:08 pm

peck420 peck420:
herbie herbie:

Not that you care, as long as the effects aren't localized in your backyard, you don't give a shit.

Hypocrite.

Eat it buddy. It's practically RIGHT in my back yard.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:02 am

herbie herbie:
peck420 peck420:
herbie herbie:

Hypocrite.

Eat it buddy. It's practically RIGHT in my back yard.

My well water is fizzy from all the natural gas in it. You can light it on fire, right out of the tap.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:56 am

peck420 peck420:
herbie herbie:

Hypocrite.

Not hypocritical. I think most people can agree that venting GHG, while bad, is not nearly as harmful as a crude oil spill, much less oilsands bitumen, which is much harder to clean up.

Especially since Crude oil also produces GHG eventually when it’s processed and ultimately consumed. In fact I believe oilsands oil,over its entire lifecycle from extraction to processing to final consumption has a much larger carbon footprint. Doesn’t producing 1 unit of oilsands oil require 4 units of natural gas?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:25 am

Well the first effects are hitting. A couple sawmills, a pulp mill here shut down to save gas use. 2 refineries in Washington state slowed production because of it, Vancouver's back to $1.60/L gas.
When it's grey and rainy outside in these parts, 19 instead of 21 degrees feels a hell of a lot chillier in the house!