What a turd.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:02 am

Here's another vet's pov.
$1:
POSTED BY: WestEnd_Pete
MAY 21, 2011 AT 9:45 AM
Mr Young has taken responsibility for his terrible mistake. It is very sad when a good person makes a bad choice, but making full amends is the right and proper thing for him to do. I personally believe in Redemption, and giving a person the chance to set things right.

What I really want to know, as a fellow Veteran, is why the HELL this man was medically discharged for an Operationally Related Psychological Injury, and then left with NO support?!?!? This is, in my opinion, absolutely immoral behaviour on the part of the Department of National Defence, and more particularly, that damned hypocrite Harper. That so-called "New Veterans Charter" is nothing but a snow-job, spending lots of money on flashy PR for public consumption, while SCREWING the men and women who have sustained injury in the service of our nation.
Good Luck to you, Mr Young. Call the Bureau of Pension Advocates, and get the help you obviously need and have rightfully earned.

Guess not all soldiers are the hardasses we see on this forum.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:24 pm

andyt andyt:
Here's another vet's pov.
$1:
POSTED BY: WestEnd_Pete
MAY 21, 2011 AT 9:45 AM
Mr Young has taken responsibility for his terrible mistake. It is very sad when a good person makes a bad choice, but making full amends is the right and proper thing for him to do. I personally believe in Redemption, and giving a person the chance to set things right.

What I really want to know, as a fellow Veteran, is why the HELL this man was medically discharged for an Operationally Related Psychological Injury, and then left with NO support?!?!? This is, in my opinion, absolutely immoral behaviour on the part of the Department of National Defence, and more particularly, that damned hypocrite Harper. That so-called "New Veterans Charter" is nothing but a snow-job, spending lots of money on flashy PR for public consumption, while SCREWING the men and women who have sustained injury in the service of our nation.
Good Luck to you, Mr Young. Call the Bureau of Pension Advocates, and get the help you obviously need and have rightfully earned.

Guess not all soldiers are the hardasses we see on this forum.

Hmmm... whining because a forum member made a right of centre judgement on a vet who, when caught stealing to fuel his gambling addiction, played the PTSD card, which amazingly, means that it must be true for you.

While you, a snivveling left of centre hangdown, play a supportive forum comment card to justify your left of centre support for a military member even though you don't support the CF in general. You're just trying to make some kind of a statement - another dumb one as it turns out.

In other words, you're again playing the forum jackass.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:48 pm

Squeeky gear gets the grease.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:39 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
Hmmm... whining because a forum member made a right of centre judgement on a vet who, when caught stealing to fuel his gambling addiction, played the PTSD card, which amazingly, means that it must be true for you.

While you, a snivveling left of centre hangdown, play a supportive forum comment card to justify your left of centre support for a military member even though you don't support the CF in general. You're just trying to make some kind of a statement - another dumb one as it turns out.

In other words, you're again playing the forum jackass.

Really frosts your ass that not all military guys are part of your groupmind, huh?

I wonder what supporting the CF in general would look like to you? More of that Cherry flavored unthinking stuff, I guess. We owe returning soldiers adequate support, we don't owe them unquestioning support for missions they volunteered for.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:08 pm

By "them" you mean us. Just saying.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:12 pm

Smacle Smacle:

If you're one of them, then yes, obviously. I don't owe you to the degree I have to agree with everything you say. Canada owes you adequate support when you come back from combat, even if you leave the forces. I would like Canada to also not send you on futile missions, but that's a matter for debate, and since the people who go volunteered, they can't really complain about it.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:20 pm

I'll be pretty stoked for what ever the Gov wants to give me. You're exactly right, we volunteered for it. In my books the gov doesn't owe me anything. I'll be pretty stoked no matter what I get for my VAC claim.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:33 pm

andyt andyt:
Smacle Smacle:

If you're one of them, then yes, obviously. I don't owe you to the degree I have to agree with everything you say. Canada owes you adequate support when you come back from combat, even if you leave the forces. I would like Canada to also not send you on futile missions, but that's a matter for debate, and since the people who go volunteered, they can't really complain about it.

That's kind of a mixed bag you put out there.

The problem I have is this douche is this, he knew what he was doing was wrong and probably would have kept on stealing but he got caught.

Also, you dont really just starts an addiction after getting out. Chances are he was an avid gambler before, but he had a steady income, and after his release he tried to continue the same lifestyle but couldnt afford it. He pocketed money from people who trusted him and while his OSI may have had something to do with it, it could just have likely not had any impact. The fact still remains he knew what he was doing was wrong, if a pedophile abuses a child they also know its wrong, and we dont give them a walk because they have an illness do we.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:36 pm

Using the PTSD defense has become the new "my mommy drank" excuse for anyone who spent longer than a standeasy in the military and find themselves at odds with the law.

So like every other serving or retired member on this forum. I call bullshit. This guy is a thief plain and simple, which, if Westend Pete had taken the time out from his partisan political rant would have noticed isn't an actual sign of PTSD.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Smacle Smacle:
I'll be pretty stoked for what ever the Gov wants to give me. You're exactly right, we volunteered for it. In my books the gov doesn't owe me anything. I'll be pretty stoked no matter what I get for my VAC claim.

That's you. Maybe you're young and just getting into it. The vet I quoted seemed to see it differently, as do other vets I've talked to. I think if the govt sends you into something where there's a good chance you'll be broken, they do owe you to fix you as best they can.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:54 pm

Guy_Fawkes Guy_Fawkes:
andyt andyt:
Smacle Smacle:

That's kind of a mixed bag you put out there.

The problem I have is this douche is this, he knew what he was doing was wrong and probably would have kept on stealing but he got caught.

Also, you dont really just starts an addiction after getting out. Chances are he was an avid gambler before, but he had a steady income, and after his release he tried to continue the same lifestyle but couldnt afford it. He pocketed money from people who trusted him and while his OSI may have had something to do with it, it could just have likely not had any impact. The fact still remains he knew what he was doing was wrong, if a pedophile abuses a child they also know its wrong, and we dont give them a walk because they have an illness do we.

Fair enough. He also said this:
$1:
"I'm not blaming this on anybody, this all falls on me. I'm not a drinker, I don't do drugs. My choice of vice is gambling."
He gave an explanation of why he did it, it's only the headline that said he blamed PTSD. He pled guilty, which means he took responsibility. He also has to pay full restitution, wich is the best part of the sentence. So often people get a sentence similar to his for a similar crime, but aren't forced to pay back the money. Nobody have him a walk.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:01 pm

I know the legal system didnt let him off, but some people have a soft spot for vets/soldiers in general. He also brought up PTSD as a contributing factor in his decision to commit his crime. A remorseful turd smells still smells like a turd. I do understand what you are saying, and I also feel the reporters latch onto his mention of PTSD is unwarranted.
Mike McIntyre Mike McIntyre:
...says post-traumatic stress disorder was the trigger for stealing more than $32,000...

Is a little over the top.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:30 pm

Well let's just agree that there's way bigger turds out there than this guy. I don't have a soft spot for vets/soldiers any more than other people who have suffered horrible things. They still have to fly right. I'm supposed to be this bleeding heart, but I actually believe in personal responsibility. But I also believe in giving someone the chance to learn to fly right, and giving them support. This crime doesn't deserve a prison term. And as I say, the fact he has to make restitution is the best part - it erases the damage done. We should allow convicts to do that a lot more, where ever possible. It's good for them, and good for the people they harmed.