bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:35 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Sort of related; when I logged on to my banking website recently, it said it would need my email and phone number.

Not happening. I've been using it for almost 20 years without that info, and it was th eonly reason I stayed with TD when they bought Canada Trust. If I can't access it, I'll change banks.

You might want to ask if they're implementing multi-factor authentication as that what it sounds like.

My own bank (Chase) does this and it's pretty damned useful, IMHO.

Also, the FBI uses it whenever I log onto their resource network. I don't mind so long as they're not abusing the information with advertising or etc.

The problem with MFA as far as smartphones go, is companies just use it as another way to slurp up your contacts info and social media profiles.

I have Entrust and RSA apps on my phone, that should be enough. Forcing me to give up information that conflicts with #7(2) of the Alberta Privacy act is unacceptable.

$1:
Consent required
(1)
Except where this Act provides otherwise, an organization
shall not, with respect to personal information about an individual,
(a) collect that information unless the individual consents to the
collection of that information,
(b) collect that information
from a source other than the individual unless the individual consents to the collection of
that information from the other source,
(c) use that information unless the individual consents to the
use of that information, or
(d) disclose that information unless the individual consents to
the disclosure of that information.

(2)
An organization shall not, as a condition of supplying a product
or service, require an individual to consent to the collection, use or
disclosure of personal information about an individual beyond what
is necessary to provide the product or service.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/P06P5.pdf

As I wrote, I've been using the service for almost 20 years without this information. It's not required. They are changing the requirements to get my info.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:09 am

Not that you should do this but I keep a zip file of some really nasty self-extracting viruses, Trojans, and worms on my phone and so far it's been uploaded by various apps fourteen times since February.

If they want to steal it then who am I to stop them? :wink:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:28 am

That's mean!

Also reason #3972 why we get along. [B-o]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:13 pm

I do the same thing at home. My gaming computer gets targeted rather frequently and so I have an F: drive ('F' as in fucked) which has a folder called 'Personal Finances'.

8)

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:26 pm

You guys make me feel unsecured. I would never know if someone got on to my phone or computer. Not that anyone would find anything really interesting I read the news hang out here and get a lot of free books on Amazon. Boring stuff really.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:48 pm

housewife housewife:
You guys make me feel unsecured. I would never know if someone got on to my phone or computer. Not that anyone would find anything really interesting I read the news hang out here and get a lot of free books on Amazon. Boring stuff really.

99 % of end users have shit security on their systems.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:34 am

Tricks Tricks:
housewife housewife:

The combination of your phone number and email is used by companies to relate your activities across many sites. They put little 'cookies' and other trackers on your computer that are used to follow you around the internet, and learn things about you. Things you might not know.

Housewife might find her own activity boring, but perhaps there is a company out there finds that people who browse sewing books on Amazon also like knitting. So, all of a sudden all these ads appear on CKA for knitting sales on Amazon. Or perhaps people who like sewing and knitting, also like to ferment their own sauerkraut. So, Polish crock Ads start popping up on Facebook. And that might lead to something else . . .

Its insidious, and the Libertarian in me screams 'leave me alone'. The Conservative in me sees that there is a big industry in collecting data, and my data is valuable to many companies - but I don't see any $$ for giving it up.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:20 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Not that you should do this but I keep a zip file of some really nasty self-extracting viruses, Trojans, and worms on my phone and so far it's been uploaded by various apps fourteen times since February.

If they want to steal it then who am I to stop them? :wink:

I'd ask if you could send those to me for "reasons". But I'm sure I'd forget what they were when you send them, and I'd end up nuking my computer.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:54 am

$1:
Your personal financial data is safe, says head of Statistics Canada

The head of Statistics Canada is assuring Canadians that their personal financial data is safe after days of Conservative criticism over the agency's move to collect the financial transaction data from 500,000 people.

"I understand the concerns that Canadians have and want to assure them that their personal information is carefully protected, and never shared publicly," Anil Arora, Chief Statistician of Canada, said in a statement.

Global News first revealed that Statistics Canada was asking banks across the country to provide the financial transaction data and personal details of Canadians without asking the people impacted for their permission beforehand.

. . .

In his statement Arora said his agency has a long history of working with sensitive date and they have the policies and practices in place to ensure this financial information is also protected.

"Traditional statistics-gathering methods are no longer sufficient to accurately measure Canada's economy and societal changes," Arora said.

"It is our duty to leverage the best methods and sources to provide facts to Canadians when they need it while providing the highest level of protection of privacy and confidentiality."

The agency says three-quarters of all purchases are made online and Statistics Canada needs access to that information to provide data on the housing market, debt levels and the emergence of the gig economy.

"Throughout the planning of the pilot project, we have worked closely with the Office of the Privacy Commissioner and incorporated their recommendations into our design," Arora said. "In fact, I have invited the privacy commissioner to provide us with any additional suggestions."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/person ... -1.4885945

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:14 pm

...and the database of personal information will never get hacked.... ROTFL

That data will be like gold to some nefarious bastards.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:22 pm

Everybody else seems to have this info already, so why not?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:23 am

PluggyRug PluggyRug:

One thing about StatsCan is they have been trustworthy to keep the data safe for their entire existence.

Mostly because when they are done with analyzing it, they destroy it. Makes it pretty unhackable. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:19 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
PluggyRug PluggyRug:

One thing about StatsCan is they have been trustworthy to keep the data safe for their entire existence.

Mostly because when they are done with analyzing it, they destroy it. Makes it pretty unhackable. ;)

Ha! A "trustworthy" bureaucracy. Nice oxymoron.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:06 pm

Well stats can when you get to my account, the code “NaN” is correct.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:40 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Tricks Tricks:
housewife housewife:

The combination of your phone number and email is used by companies to relate your activities across many sites.
Which is why I always use a fake number (my ex-wife's actually :lol: ) and a non-existent e-mail address.