Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:14 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
bootlegga bootlegga:
It was really telling when Mother Teresa died a few days afterwards and the world barely noticed it happened. Now that was a tragic death IMHO.

Then you don't know much about Mother Theresa. That woman was pure evil in a white wrapper.

Pure evil? I'd reserve that term for people like Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Genghis Khan, etc.

Did she have antiquated views on religion, women's rights, abortions, etc.? Sure she did.

Did she work to try reduce poverty, help lepers, orphans, the homeless and others? Sure she did.

She was far from perfect, but I think she did more than her fair share trying to make the world a better place.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:46 pm

Lived just long enough to NOT have Boris Johnson speak at her funeral... priceless

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:02 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
bootlegga bootlegga:
It was really telling when Mother Teresa died a few days afterwards and the world barely noticed it happened. Now that was a tragic death IMHO.

Then you don't know much about Mother Theresa. That woman was pure evil in a white wrapper.

Pure evil? I'd reserve that term for people like Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Genghis Khan, etc.

Did she have antiquated views on religion, women's rights, abortions, etc.? Sure she did.

Did she work to try reduce poverty, help lepers, orphans, the homeless and others? Sure she did.

She believed that people went to heaven based on the suffering they experienced in life. The homes she created took in the dying, so they didn't have to die on the streets. But she did nothing for them. Food and a cot, that was it. No medicine. No cures. Very little treatment, and from people who weren't medical professionals. She wanted them to suffer so they would go to heaven. She enjoyed their suffering.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/mother-teresa-saint

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism ... her_Teresa

She would even baptize people as they were dying, regardless of their own religions.

bootlegga bootlegga:
She was far from perfect, but I think she did more than her fair share trying to make the world a better place.

Now, I wouldn't say she was Hitler level evil. More like Bernie Madoff level evil. She did some good, but she did far more bad. But everyone that praised her as a saint didn't seem to dig too deeply past the surface.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:28 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Tricks Tricks:
Do... do people actually think the monarchy makes political decisions anymore?

Yes. Think of the US rebellion, "Boston Tea Party". They still believe they were rebelling against the King of England, even though the Monarchy had been written out of the Government back with the Magna Carta 500 years earlier.

Er, not exactly. King Charles I was beheaded and the monarchy temporarily abolished due to his refusing to listen to Parliament, while Charles II and James II both squabbled with Parliament over the exact extent of royal vs. Parliamentary power. In fact, kings and Parliaments had been squabbling for centuries over the exact limits of royal power, but it wasn't until the Glorious Revolution in 1688 that there were more clearly defined limits to royal power.

It's only been in the last couple of centuries that there were much stricter limits on the "royal prerogative" and the monarch (or their representative, in Commonwealth countries like ours) exercises their powers pretty much only at the request of prime ministers who are themselves accountable to the legislatures and the general voting public.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:46 pm

:D

Attachments:
306471242_638918707593467_474490379980737923_n.jpg
306471242_638918707593467_474490379980737923_n.jpg [ 94.89 KiB | Viewed 9 times ]
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:55 pm

Why she was important - twenty one years ago the Queen ordered the band of the Coldstream Guards to play The Star Spangled Banner ahead of God Save The Queen as a gesture of compassion & support to the United States in the wake of the attacks on Sept 11 2001....

True class & basic human decency never disappear.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:22 am

Thanos Thanos:

I think this is the basis for the sadness many people are feeling. It's not that we cared about the Queen, as much as we did about 'Elizabeth'. That she was Monarch as secondary to that she was just a good Human.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:36 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Thanos Thanos:

I think this is the basis for the sadness many people are feeling. It's not that we cared about the Queen, as much as we did about 'Elizabeth'. That she was Monarch as secondary to that she was just a good Human.

Very well stated to both of you.

I see it this way as well and that's why I find it so unfortunate that there are those dissing others for feeling sadness over her passing.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:32 am

I just had to post this article. It made me laugh.

$1:
When the hearse carrying Queen Elizabeth II's body pulled out of the gates of Balmoral Castle on Sunday, it marked the monarch's final departure from a personal sanctuary where she could shed the straitjacket of protocol and ceremony for a few weeks every year.

The sprawling estate in the Scottish Highlands west of Aberdeen was a place where Elizabeth rode her beloved horses, picnicked, and pushed her children around the grounds on tricycles and wagons, setting aside the formality of Buckingham Palace.

At Balmoral, a woman most remembered for being clad in robes and crowns or grandmotherly dresses and wide-brimmed hats could tie a scarf around her head, snuggle into a warm jacket and tug on a pair of boots to explore a domain covered with heather and pine forests and populated by deer, bees and butterflies.

That sense of informality could bring out the queen's mischievous side.

A former royal protection officer, Richard Griffin, remembered accompanying the queen on a picnic when they met two American hikers. The tourists didn't recognize Elizabeth and asked how long she had been visiting the area. When she replied "over 80 years," they asked if she had ever met the queen.

"As quick as a flash she says, `Well, I haven't, but Dickie here meets her regularly'," Griffin told Sky News earlier this year during events marking the monarch's 70 years on the throne.

One of the hikers then turned to Griffin and asked what the queen was like. He replied: "She can be very cantankerous at times, but she's got a lovely sense of humour."

After posing for a picture with the queen, the unsuspecting hikers waved good-bye and they continued their trek.

"And then Her Majesty said to me, `I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he shows those photographs to friends in America. Hopefully, someone tells him who I am,"' Griffin recalled.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/for-queen- ... -1.6064234

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:27 pm

That's a great story. I think it's safe to say everyone wants to be that fly on the wall after hearing it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:27 pm

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:46 am

Australians want Steve Irwin on their money and not King Charles

https://www.indy100.com/celebrities/aus ... rles-money

CKA Moderator