bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:06 am

BRAH BRAH:
Thanos Thanos:
Unfortunately the massive Toyota recalls, along with no one being able to trust a VW once it goes over 120K on the odometer, indicate that these things are in industry wide problem across the whole world. I'd like a Toyota truck someday but I'd be under no illusion that I'd be able to ride it for a million miles the way the legendary old Corollas from the 1970's could do.

I had a 2009 VW Jetta 2.0T (built in Mexico) within one year 10 items (Warranty) went so I traded up to a 2012 VW CC 2.0T (built in Germany) within one year all four injectors had to be replaced (Warranty) not to mention it depreciated so fast it was worth less than $15,000. 8O

I looked into a 2015 GTI but they don't come with a block heater, the snotty sales punk tried to tell me they don't need one because it runs on synthetic oil, like WTF! I will never drive a VW again. Everyone likes to make fun of domestics, well at least they have a F****** block heater! :lol:

That's about what I'd expect from VW. :evil: My sister owned 2, and both were POS's. Synthetic oil won't flow at 40 below. (That even rhymes!)

Instead of a Golf GTI, look at something like a Ford Focus STi. :) The boys at Top Gear can't always be wrong! :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:40 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
bootlegga bootlegga:
Yet another reason to avoid domestic vehicles like the plague they are.

:roll: Don't let facts get in the way of making a stupid comment.

Nope, it may be anecdotal as hell, but every single domestic I've ever owned was a POS.

Meanwhile, my Toyota Tercel made it to 240k before the engine went. The biggest mistake I've made car wise was replacing it with a Ford Taurus, which barely lasted 2 years and cost me a fortune in repairs. In hindsight, it would have cost me half the price to drop a new engine in the Tercel.

I replaced the Ford with a Jetta TDI and it ran beautifully for over 200k before I traded it in. And I traded it in for a CUV with AWD, not because there was anything wrong with it.

I also bought a Grand Caravan, but after hearing about how easily it can be hacked, it looks like I should have gone with the Honda or Toyota as I thought at the time.

Last edited by bootlegga on Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:44 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BRAH BRAH:
Thanos Thanos:
Unfortunately the massive Toyota recalls, along with no one being able to trust a VW once it goes over 120K on the odometer, indicate that these things are in industry wide problem across the whole world. I'd like a Toyota truck someday but I'd be under no illusion that I'd be able to ride it for a million miles the way the legendary old Corollas from the 1970's could do.

I had a 2009 VW Jetta 2.0T (built in Mexico) within one year 10 items (Warranty) went so I traded up to a 2012 VW CC 2.0T (built in Germany) within one year all four injectors had to be replaced (Warranty) not to mention it depreciated so fast it was worth less than $15,000. 8O

I looked into a 2015 GTI but they don't come with a block heater, the snotty sales punk tried to tell me they don't need one because it runs on synthetic oil, like WTF! I will never drive a VW again. Everyone likes to make fun of domestics, well at least they have a F****** block heater! :lol:

That's about what I'd expect from VW. :evil: My sister owned 2, and both were POS's. Synthetic oil won't flow at 40 below. (That even rhymes!)

Instead of a Golf GTI, look at something like a Ford Focus STi. :) The boys at Top Gear can't always be wrong! :)

I never had a problem with my Jetta TDI and it was outside all day long at those temperatures every winter.

I would hazard that your sister's VWs either didn't have glow plugs or your sister didn't know how to use them.

And every car manufacturer puts block heaters in their cars, sometimes you just have to shell out for the "winter package, which is a ripoff for sure but still available.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:48 am

YOu won't find block heaters in VAncouver, even tho canadian cars all come with a winter package vs US. a block heater is an accessory installed by the dealer. Probably in your neck of the woods the dealers most just install them as a matter of course.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:50 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BRAH BRAH:

I never had a problem with my Jetta TDI and it was outside all day long at those temperatures every winter.

I would hazard that your sister's VWs either didn't have glow plugs or your sister didn't know how to use them.

And every car manufacturer puts block heaters in their cars, sometimes you just have to shell out for the "winter package, which is a ripoff for sure but still available.

Sister had non-diesel Passats. The dealer did the old sawdust-in-the-transmission trick rather than fix the faulty transmission before reselling them. Which is why I expect Brahs' experience with VW dealers.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:52 am

andyt andyt:
YOu won't find block heaters in VAncouver, even tho canadian cars all come with a winter package vs US. a block heater is an accessory installed by the dealer. Probably in your neck of the woods the dealers most just install them as a matter of course.

If I ever need a block heater here in Texas I'm moving to Panama. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:13 am

bootlegga bootlegga:

Nope, it may be anecdotal as hell, but every single domestic I've ever owned was a POS.

Meanwhile, my Toyota Tercel made it to 240k before the engine went. The biggest mistake I've made car wise was replacing it with a Ford Taurus, which barely lasted 2 years and cost me a fortune in repairs. In hindsight, it would have cost me half the price to drop a new engine in the Tercel.

With all due respect, you're likely comparing your 10+ year old Ford Taurus to current day product. A silly comparison at best. All car companies have evolved 10 fold over the last decade alone.

bootlegga bootlegga:

I also bought a Grand Caravan, but after hearing about how easily it can be hacked, it looks like I should have gone with the Honda or Toyota as I thought at the time.

It can't be easily hacked.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:14 am

andyt andyt:

Block heaters are a factory installed option on most new vehicles and most manufacturers.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:21 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
andyt andyt:

Block heaters are a factory installed option on most new vehicles and most manufacturers.

^^ That. Dealers in Canada are idiots if they don't order them with factory block heaters, or are just ripping you off for charging for a 'winter package' along with your undercoating and lifetime paint and upholstery package. :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:46 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
or are just ripping you off for charging for a 'winter package' along with your undercoating and lifetime paint and upholstery package. :roll:

That's not really the case in most dealerships in 2015. So many new laws, regulations and government bodies overseeing the industry.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:12 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BRAH BRAH:
Thanos Thanos:

VW is doing what BMW does building cars like the GTI without block heaters. MY CC did start at minus 35 without being plugged in still you need a block heater and if VW promoted the CC more where it wouldn't have depreciated so much I probably would have kept it but the fact my 2009 Jetta was worth more than my 2012 CC the writing was on the wall.

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
andyt andyt:

Not on BMW's.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:35 pm

ccga3359 ccga3359:
You'll find DW on Fords and GMC. My '53 Willys M38A1 was damn near 45 years old when I drove it for the couple years that I had it. In that time it happened to me only 3 or 4 times and I drove this thing pedal to the rust at a blistering 50mph, 55 going down hill, I drove the crap out of it on rod and off.. The thing with it is that you cant predict when its going to happen, it takes a certain sequence of bumps and a nackered suspension but it will only do it with solid axle. My present truck just clocked 100,000 miles, I took it in for an alignment, 3 out of 4 ball joints are shot, one tie rod and one wheel bearing also need replacing. My truck weighs oer 2 and a half tons plus I haul a couple hundred lbs of tool in the back, I probably should've replaced those items 20-30k miles back. Things in trucks will just wear faster than cars.

There's a difference between a vehicle with a 100,000 miles on it and a brand new truck which is where the problem lies.

Yes, all solid axle trucks will develop steering issues at excessive mileage, hell all trucks will but for some reason the Dodges seem to come with that issue built in from new.

So if you have to take a brand new or low mileage truck into the shop to have these issues dealt with it's the company that should be taken to task not the owner:

1.Ball joint wear or improper adjustment
2.Steering linkage wear
3.Tires defects and/or wear
4.Steering Box wear or adjustment
5.Bent wheel(s)
6.Inadequate/inoperable steering dampener
7.Control arm bushings
8.Bent steering components
9.Bad steering components in general
10.Improper suspension design
11.Bent axle, axle shaft, axle housing

People with these Dodges have been complaining about the steering problems from new or low mileage for years. For example, my brother in laws 2012 came with a built in pull from brand new which is unacceptable. BTW at 16000 Km it's still doing it so it isn't a "high mileage" vehicle but for some reason Chrysler couldn't figure out the cause or, maybe they didn't want to spend the money but, with the new ruling he'll likely be one of the thousand of truck owners who'll be asking for their money back.

The only bad part of that is that Chrysler will be allowed to "fix" these vehicles and sell them again which given past history is probably going to end up being a questionable practice.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:51 pm

BRAH BRAH:
Thanos Thanos:

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
ccga3359 ccga3359:
The death wobble can happen to any vehicle with a solid front axle, I used to get it on my Willys. Its caused by worn suspension bushes. It wont happen on my Dodge 1500 because it's independent front suspension and although I need to replace some ball joints and a tie rod I have no concern of this happening to me.

I've owned numerous trucks, dodges included with both 4x4 and 4x2 since the 1960's and alot have had solid front axles yet not one of them ever developed that death wobble and that's despite the abuse I put them through.

Sloppy steering, bad alignments, worn bushings, shot steering boxes yes, that wobble no. So, why then is it almost solely endemic to newer Dodges?

Here's one guys solution. Maybe Fiat should hire him.

Fiat will borrow this guy's solution, it comcerns the 2500-3500 models correct? I drive a 2015 1500 so I think I'm covered. 8O

You should be.

But it's interesting to note that these owner fixes have been on the internet since at least 2011 when I was looking at purchasing a Dodge so it would appear that Fiat never even looked at them so, why would this one be any different. Maybe they don't have the internet in Italy or maybe it's a case of why listen to some backyard or independent garage mechanic who doesn't have an engineering degree and couldn't possibly understand the mechanics of a front end suspension. :roll:

To bad they haven't because these guys who likely have decades of truck ownership not the manufacturers seem to have come up with the answers. :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:43 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
bootlegga bootlegga:

With all due respect, you're likely comparing your 10+ year old Ford Taurus to current day product. A silly comparison at best. All car companies have evolved 10 fold over the last decade alone.

Actually, I was comparing a '91 Tercel with a '98 Taurus, which according to you logic should have been vastly better than the Tercel.

The reality was the exact opposite...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:58 pm

stratos stratos:
andyt andyt:

If I ever need a block heater here in Texas I'm moving to Panama. :lol:

I've spent lots of time in Texas at this time of the year. You definitely need block coolers so that they don't melt into piles of iron and aluminum goo.