Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:16 pm

novachick novachick:
acidcomplex acidcomplex:
SprCForr SprCForr:
Or a person gets liquored up and maybe hits someone, they should be allowed to get in the school bus the next morning?

I don't think the poster really thought it through before hitting that "Submit" button.

No not the next morning because hopefully there dead, maybe once they have been to AADAC or something along those lines, or even the next week, Funny thing is this "alcohol" stuff wears off and people go back to normal, weird I know but I heard its true.

If an off duty officer shoots someone and its ruled not self defence should he be fired?

Yes,and he should be charged with murder. Where was your point in that [huh]

Lol my point was that that is not what happens.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:22 pm

acidcomplex acidcomplex:

How so? well where does it end, this opens the door to a whole range of shit.

This "door" was always "open", the judge has simply maintained the status quo.

$1:
Guess we should fire bartenders who get drunk at work eh? cause that never happens or maybe we should fire school bus drivers and pizza delivery boys for getting speeding tickets in there own cars when not working, cause people certainly cant act different at work then they do at home. I know each and everyone of you act exactly the same at work as you do when your at home or out with friends right?. Yeeeeah

Bartenders getting drunk at work isn't off the job behavior is it? Your school bus driver point fails because speeding tickets and the like issued after hours are and always have been considered by the employer and do impact your job, that's the nature of the business for professional drivers. It is a clear indication of poor judgement and your driving record is certainly within their area of concern.

Look at it from another angle. A pizza delivery dude with a bunch of tickets, maybe an impaired charge a couple years ago or whatever, all earned "after hours" hits at the employers insurance rates on the delivery vehicle. An employer has to suck up the huge increases just because dickhead got the ticket after hours? If you owned the company would you pay those premium increases everytime the loser got a ticket?

$1:
I guess then we also ot to fire the teachers that spank there own kids at home cause you know they might come to work and spank there students too. Oh and don't forget the police officers who get speeding tickets or the ones who beat there wives/kids, although not acceptable my point is its none of my employers business what i do outside of work,or the ones who have aggressive tendencies cause they might just kill someone at work....fired

A teacher at work isn't in the postion of applying their personal standard for punishment in the classroom are they? That would be professional misconduct. Your police example isn't applicable their after hours conduct has always been subject to review. A detective having a torrid relationship with the multiple convicted con artist/fraudster/extortionist isn't any of the departments business?

What you do after hours is your business yes, but if it affects the employer, casts in grave doubt your judgement or credibility etc, then they certainly get a say in the issue and the right to determine if you should be canned for such. So long as the crackhead doesn't light up while actually on their crossing guard job it's all good, right?

$1:
In this case I can see your response but the precedent it sets is what is in my eyes a danger.

Again, there is no precedent.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:01 pm

SprCForr SprCForr:

This "door" was always "open", the judge has simply maintained the status quo.

Well no he hasn't the "status quo" is not to interfere with people after hours activities. If that was the quo this wouldn't even be a story would it. So ill just disregard that.

SprCForr SprCForr:
Your school bus driver point fails because speeding tickets and the like issued after hours are and always have been considered by the employer and do impact your job,that's the nature of the business for professional drivers. It is a clear indication of poor judgement and your driving record is certainly within their area of concern.

Untrue, unless The bus driver I know is lying through there teeth, possible I guess but doubtful you have allot of tickets and apply for a bus driver job then yes, but if you have a bus driver job and get one ticket your not getting fired. Point is they still DO NOT get fired for it unless these are extreme.

SprCForr SprCForr:
A pizza delivery dude with a bunch of tickets, maybe an impaired charge a couple years ago or whatever, all earned "after hours" hits at the employers insurance rates on the delivery vehicle. An employer has to suck up the huge increases just because dickhead got the ticket after hours?

I can tell you have never been a pizza dude, Never in my entire life of being a pizza dude when i was younger did one single company ask me for drivers abstract to deliver pizza, not one. I got caught going 180 in a 100, nice ticket, work did not care, why? , cause it was not on work time.

SprCForr SprCForr:
A teacher at work isn't in the position of applying their personal standard for punishment in the classroom are they? That would be professional misconduct.

That's not the issue the issue is that according to this they should be fired because they do that at home. And yes they are in a position to do that. They will be fired yes but the point is that they shouldn't even be there because of there off work activities.

SprCForr SprCForr:
Your police example isn't applicable their after hours conduct has always been subject to review.

K let me clear this up for you with first hand experience. Police officers tickets after hours DO NOT affect there job. Unless of course they get like 5 speeding tickets etc. and even then you think they get fired?

SprCForr SprCForr:
So long as the crackhead doesn't light up while actually on their crossing guard job it's all good, right?

Honestly yeah that would be all right, guess you never smoke pot or drink on your days off eh? what if we fired everyone who smoked pot while not on the job?. Oh right we wouldn't have many people left at all.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:41 pm

Once again, the judge has simply reaffirmed what took place in the past. Random drug testing is confirmation that a persons actions with illicit drugs on the job and off don't impact the workplace. Same with bonding or a security clearance. You get caught shoplifting after hours and you lose your bond on conviction. If being bondable is a job requirement and you've lost it, then you'd be out. I could go on with more examples, but I think the point has been amply made.

$1:
Untrue, unless The bus driver I know is lying through there teeth, possible I guess but doubtful you have allot of tickets and apply for a bus driver job then yes, but if you have a bus driver job and get one ticket your not getting fired.

I drive school bus and it's exactly the policy for the company I drive for as well as the others in the area. Ask your bud if he'd lose his school bus job if he was convicted of drinking and driving after hours. The "before" getting a job isn't the point we're discussing, and it isn't a "one ticket and your out" standard that I'm supporting.

$1:
Point is they still DO NOT get fired for it unless these are extreme.

So off work conduct does affect keeping your job. I've said that from the start. How extreme? This extreme?

$1:
...convicted of criminally harassing a young woman...

Which was the charge it was plea bargained down to. Kinda more serious than a parking ticket isn't it?

You're correct, I've never been a pizza delivery dude, but the point I was making still stands. As the manager of a business that involves a vehicle fleet, I can say with 100% certainty that an employee's driver abstract impacts the rate paid for company vehicle insurance, and in our case an employee's conduct over his Christmas holiday (which resulted in charges, yet to go to trial) will result in his being fired, as he will not employable by us. Nothing short of the charges being dismissed will change the outcome as, in the least, his license is gone and with that so is his job.

$1:
That's not the issue the issue is that according to this they should be fired because they do that at home. And yes they are in a position to do that. They will be fired yes but the point is that they shouldn't even be there because of there off work activities.

You put out the teacher example. Not my fault is was a poor example. Besides, spanking kids isn't illegal. You're "just because they do it at home, they do it in the class" reasoning is also plainly faulty.

$1:
Unless of course they get like 5 speeding tickets etc. and even then you think they get fired?

Again with the weak reasoning. Nice how you've completely disregarded the examples I've made previously.

acidcomplex acidcomplex:
SprCForr SprCForr:
So long as the crackhead doesn't light up while actually on their crossing guard job it's all good, right?

Honestly yeah that would be all right, guess you never smoke pot or drink on your days off eh? what if we fired everyone who smoked pot while not on the job?. Oh right we wouldn't have many people left at all.

Nice. You'd trust the well being of children to a crackhead. Not me. And BTW, you're absolutely correct, I don't drink or do drugs on my time off. Nor any other time for that matter. I got better stuff to do with my time and money thanks. Actually, there are lot's of people out there who conduct themselves within the bounds of appropriate behavior.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:28 pm

acidcomplex acidcomplex:
Choban Choban:
acidcomplex acidcomplex:
This is so far from right its retarded. Nice to see employers own you now adays

How so? Do you want people with criminal recors working for corrections canada? Make sense to me, if your job requires a clean record and you commit a crime, by-by.

How so? well where does it end, this opens the door to a whole range of shit.

Guess we should fire bartenders who get drunk at work eh? cause that never happens or maybe we should fire school bus drivers and pizza delivery boys for getting speeding tickets in there own cars when not working, cause people certainly cant act different at work then they do at home. I know each and everyone of you act exactly the same at work as you do when your at home or out with friends right?. Yeeeeah

I guess then we also ot to fire the teachers that spank there own kids at home cause you know they might come to work and spank there students too. Oh and don't forget the police officers who get speeding tickets or the ones who beat there wives/kids, although not acceptable my point is its none of my employers business what i do outside of work,or the ones who have aggressive tendencies cause they might just kill someone at work....fired

In this case I can see your response but the precedent it sets is what is in my eyes a danger.

By reading ahead I see someone has already plead my case against you. Have you ever had a managerial job or worked even as a supervisor? You would probably argue if you got fired for failing a drug test.
Are you bondable? If you work in a job that requires you to be and then you get charged with theft should you keep your job? I mean how can companies operate succesfully if their employees aren't accountable for their actions inside and outside the workplace. I'm not saying they should monitor your every move, but when it comes down to criminal charges it's a different story isn't it.
Also Speeding tickets and drinking on the job aren't CRIMINAL activities. Sounds like you would hire pedophiles to work at a daycare, or burgalars at the jewlers?

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:32 pm

Choban Choban:

By reading ahead I see someone has already plead my case against you. Have you ever had a managerial job or worked even as a supervisor?

Why yes actually I managed a team of about a hundred workers, maybe you have heard of us, we cleaned up the one of the biggest oil spills, at Waubman Lake AB, saving thousdands of birds and plant life. Another group helping us was a temp agency and guess what, most of there workers were drugged out Natives (No offence meant,not all are,these were) or People who were somewhat shady, you know the real suprise? These drugged out people were some of the best and hardest workers we had. Sure they got all messed up after work but it didnt affect there job at work and therefore no reason to worry.

Choban Choban:
You would probably argue if you got fired for failing a drug test.

If I was a police officer no, if I drove a UPS truck then yes.

Choban Choban:
Are you bondable?

Fully Thanks

Choban Choban:
If you work in a job that requires you to be and then you get charged with theft should you keep your job?

Depends, did i steal a choclate bar or A car?

Choban Choban:
Also Speeding tickets and drinking on the job aren't CRIMINAL activities.

Really ? Look up the laws my friend and you will see you can indeed be criminaly charged for it.

Choban Choban:
Sounds like you would hire pedophiles to work at a daycare

now your just being silly. The point of this thread is that it happened AFTER he got his job. Maybe reread the whole thread

This is fun