canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:13 am

Title: Five Vancouver Island hockey parents banned from kids' games for abusing refs, players
Category: Sports
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2015-02-18 00:25:49
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:13 am

Good. Hopefully this sends a message to others that behavior like this is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:19 am

[B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:01 am

One suggestion was that the hockey assn name these parents on their website.

A caller to a radio show talked about taking her son out of lacrosse, because the coach from a team in Mission was telling his players to take out the opposing team by hitting them in the neck with their sticks. It's not just the parents where the rot lies. It's people taking winning way too seriously.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:27 am

Yup, my wife and I caoch hockey and soccer. We see people getting carried away every day. The coaches can be the worst. For all the talk of skills development, coaches are competitive creatures, myself included, especially as you progress to the upper ages and upper levels. It takes a lot of self-discipline to remove yourself from the game, and not take a personal interest in your team's performance. Particularly when you are playing an unsportsmanlike team.

But it's critical we maintain a positive attitude, because if we start yelling at the kids, or the ref, then the parents will dial in to that.

For hockey, I think they should have an adult "ref" in the stands. The kid refs can be brow-beaten, or too initmidated to throw out parents.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:59 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Yup, my wife and I caoch hockey and soccer. We see people getting carried away every day. The coaches can be the worst. For all the talk of skills development, coaches are competitive creatures, myself included, especially as you progress to the upper ages and upper levels. It takes a lot of self-discipline to remove yourself from the game, and not take a personal interest in your team's performance. Particularly when you are playing an unsportsmanlike team.

But it's critical we maintain a positive attitude, because if we start yelling at the kids, or the ref, then the parents will dial in to that.

For hockey, I think they should have an adult "ref" in the stands. The kid refs can be brow-beaten, or too initmidated to throw out parents.

The adult 'ref' in the stand is you, the coach.

Set rules and expectations on parent conduct and remove the parent from the situation if warnings don't seem to be working.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:25 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:

Set rules and expectations on parent conduct and remove the parent from the situation if warnings don't seem to be working.

Having the coach trying to eject parent supporters from the other team is just a recipe for disaster. Not to mention I have a game to coach.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:53 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:

Having the coach trying to eject parent supporters from the other team is just a recipe for disaster. Not to mention I have a game to coach.

It's on the other coach/association if that's the case. As long as your parents are in-line, that's great.

It's hard when you have tools from other leagues ruin it for everyone and it's a shame when their associations don't care.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:29 pm

It shouldn't be up to the coaches to monitor the parents either. Coaches are of all ages and I doubt some 40 year old parent is going to pay much attention to a 25 year old coach. Besides........they are there to coach the kids not monitor the parents all over the rink.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:19 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:

I did a handful of security gigs at hockey games for this exact reason. Tell them to quiet down, if they don't, tell them to leave, if they don't, remove them.

And then have them charged with trespassing if you really feel like being a dick.

Last edited by Tricks on Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:20 pm

When I was a kid sports were fun and our parents didn't bother to come to every game and ensure our play was up to "their" standards or that we weren't being denied the chance to show our true athletic potential. But, somewhere along the way a segment of parents who had or have no athletic ability decided to live vicariously through their children and push them to the heights they were unable to achieve which, wouldn't be to bad if they didn't hurt their children and abuse everyone who stood in the way.

A large segment of parents have definitely become genuine assholes in the past 5 decades since I played Rep Hockey and this attitude of win at all costs, my kid is special will, unfortunately be passed on to those same kids who are now watching their dipshit parents acting like giant douches, abusing each other, players and authority figures from the stands.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:49 am

Regina Regina:
It shouldn't be up to the coaches to monitor the parents either. Coaches are of all ages and I doubt some 40 year old parent is going to pay much attention to a 25 year old coach. Besides........they are there to coach the kids not monitor the parents all over the rink.

Agreed.

Since the arenas where minor hockey is played are usually owned and run by the city/community in which they are located shouldn't it be up to them to have someone present to oversee events taking place within the building? Just a thought.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:00 am

The associations have to pay to use those arenas. Add security and their costs go up.

I think the parents themselves should step up here. Instead of meekly sitting there when some guy or gal is being a dick, if the parents care about their kids, stand up as a group. I heard that's the way it used to be, when people were more connected.

But really the puck stops with the hockey association. (Sorry, didn't even think about what I wrote there.)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:18 am

andyt andyt:
The associations have to pay to use those arenas. Add security and their costs go up.

Ok, I can see that. The associations certainly do not need more costs.

A community rink that I used to go to for hockey had a few volunteer security guys that looked after overseeing the crowd, among other duties. They ejected people that got out of hand and if there was anything they couldn't handle (which did happen) then they called the RCMP. If I remember correctly they volunteered to the association, not the arena itself.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:36 pm

andyt andyt:

I think the parents themselves should step up here. Instead of meekly sitting there when some guy or gal is being a dick, if the parents care about their kids, stand up as a group. I heard that's the way it used to be, when people were more connected.

But really the puck stops with the hockey association. (Sorry, didn't even think about what I wrote there.)

I seriously doubt that asking the parents to step up and police themselves is the answer since that may actually be the catalysts for some of the fights and if you watched the news the other night there were clips of parents fighting with parents and even one brief shot of two refs fighting. 8O

So, the only way they're going to be able to bring this gong show under control is by banning parents, permanently if necessary and the only way they're going to be able to catch these assholes creating havoc is by having security there to monitor them and possibly stop them before they go to far over the line.

As for who'll bear the enforcement costs well, unfortunately it'll have to be the Associations because the taxpayers shouldn't be on the hook for these kids being kept safe from their own and other overbearing, antagonistic, uncooperative, anally retentive hockey parents.

Maybe proactively banning all parents would be a good start. :wink: