CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 27464
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:49 am
 


Title: Former NHL enforcer now lives in truck, faces an uncertain future
Category: Sports
Posted By: shockedcanadian
Date: 2018-02-14 04:48:30
Canadian


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
Profile
Posts: 3149
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:49 am
 


Who cares about this guy and his health? Donald S Cherry made a killing off of Rock 'em Sock 'em hockey, that's what's important here!


Offline
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
Profile
Posts: 674
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:06 am
 


Professional sports that regularly cause brain injury should be held responsible for such casualties.


Offline
Active Member
Active Member
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 432
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:18 am
 


Sad.
The entire history of professional sports is littered with athletes used and abused by the industry.

Long ago when hockey players made a pittance, they were pumped up with cocaine to numb the injuries and thrown back on the ice.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 58559
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:26 am
 


It's long overdue for these needlessly violent sports to come to an end.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
Profile
Posts: 3149
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:56 am
 


BartSimpson wrote:
It's long overdue for these needlessly violent sports to come to an end.



How about just getting rid of fighting altogether and handing down heavy fines/suspensions if people intentional injure others, then won't be a need to fight.

Funny with Don Cherry's pedigree and "tough on crime" attitude, that he believes that if someone does you wrong it's cool to just scrap it out.

The world has evolved. Olympic hockey has been superior and they hardly even check one another.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 12079
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:34 pm
 


How about the article mentioning that this guy is eligible for a $50K per year pension and if he's living in his truck it's because he either can't manage money or is in dire need of mental health help?

Quote:
The NHL has been the "poor cousin" of pension plans in pro sports, says pension lawyer Mitch Frazer. NHL players were eligible to earn a maximum of $50,000 (all currency U.S.) a year in 2012 after playing at least 160 games, while players in Major League Baseball need 43 days of service to begin to qualify for a pension benefit of $34,000 a year, and analysts say baseball can earn pensions of $200,000 annually with 10 years of service.


https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/ ... le7206747/


Or, how about the author of the article having him take some responsibility for the fact that he chose to be an NHL enforcer and spent 7 years plying his trade. He joined the league in 2000 long after they'd figured out that having your head punched numerous times causes concussions yet he continued even after the fact that he probably got alot of those concussions from his Major Junior days.

I also don't understand why he or his father haven't sought out the help that's available to him by the NHL Alumni because as Glenn Healy pointed out "The player has to want it and we will give it."

I'm sorry but this is a very troubled individual and he likely would have been that way even if he hadn't gotten all these concussions. So, blaming the NHL for his current situation is pretty much like blaming McDonalds for America's obesity epidemic. This article comes off as nothing more than a pity piece explicitly written to make the NHL and it's stance on fighting look bad.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 25120
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:00 pm
 


shockedcanadian wrote:
Who cares about this guy and his health? Donald S Cherry made a killing off of Rock 'em Sock 'em hockey, that's what's important here!


Hopefully a lot more people care about this guy and others like him than do about you and your bullshit sob story. Move to the states already. Not giving a fuck about anyone else and being proud of it is held in the highest regard down there.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 42712
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:32 pm
 


:idea:
One has to wonder how long electroshocked was playing hockey without a helmet.

[hockey]


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 25120
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:50 pm
 


The lack of empathy for someone in severe pain is appalling, and enraging. The NHL and NHLPA better get in there and help this guy or it'll just show that their "we're a family" crap is just more propaganda. :evil:


Offline
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
Profile
Posts: 574
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:30 pm
 


Freakinoldguy wrote:
How about the article mentioning that this guy is eligible for a $50K per year pension and if he's living in his truck it's because he either can't manage money or is in dire need of mental health help?

Quote:
The NHL has been the "poor cousin" of pension plans in pro sports, says pension lawyer Mitch Frazer. NHL players were eligible to earn a maximum of $50,000 (all currency U.S.) a year in 2012 after playing at least 160 games, while players in Major League Baseball need 43 days of service to begin to qualify for a pension benefit of $34,000 a year, and analysts say baseball can earn pensions of $200,000 annually with 10 years of service.


https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/ ... le7206747/


Or, how about the author of the article having him take some responsibility for the fact that he chose to be an NHL enforcer and spent 7 years plying his trade. He joined the league in 2000 long after they'd figured out that having your head punched numerous times causes concussions yet he continued even after the fact that he probably got alot of those concussions from his Major Junior days.

I also don't understand why he or his father haven't sought out the help that's available to him by the NHL Alumni because as Glenn Healy pointed out "The player has to want it and we will give it."

I'm sorry but this is a very troubled individual and he likely would have been that way even if he hadn't gotten all these concussions. So, blaming the NHL for his current situation is pretty much like blaming McDonalds for America's obesity epidemic. This article comes off as nothing more than a pity piece explicitly written to make the NHL and it's stance on fighting look bad.



I’m with you. He has a pension. Family who could help but don’t. And he chose to bash in other people’s faces for his career. Don’t get me wrong, the NHL should be footing the bill, but in this case it looks like they’ve offered to.
This guy is really no different than any other mentally ill Canadian. He falls into the exact same category as I’d say 99.99% of Canada’s homeless.

We have paid for social programs, welfare, free healthcare, housing etc for *anyone* who wants them. But, the reason people wind up homeless, or like this guy, is they have to take their meds and attend doctor’s visits in order to get and keep those benefits. Once they’re mentally ill they don’t want to. Catch-22. I walk by at least a dozen people like this every day on my way to work, and all I can think is why on earth they aren’t forced into a mental institution for treatment.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.