Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:49 am

raydan raydan:
I'd say that pretty much 90%+ of problem animals are that way because of stupid humans.

Maybe we're not taking the right trophies.

NOTE: Sorry, can't find my tongue-in-cheek smilie. :wink:

I agree. Humans living in areas where wildlife roam need to follow guidelines in minimizing the chances of negative encounters. Managing garbage being one of the main factors.

When I was living up on the central coast travellers from boats would stop there to dispose of their garbage and some were confused (for reasons I will never understand) as to how to open the garbage bins so they would just drop their bags of garbage on the ground beside the bins. F*cking brilliant. :roll: Usually someone would see it and go immediately to show them how to do it properly or at least get their trash off the ground so as to not give the bears a tantalizing reason to wander into the populated area.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:49 am

Jeez I've lived in bear country 30 years, been in my yard several times this summer. They don't like people, they hustle away from my damn Pomeranian.
Know just one guy who got clawed being stupid. Know 20 who stupidly ran up and smacked one on the ass on a dare.
The East Indian guy across the street died, his place is empty while the estate sells it. We have to go pick all his apples in a month or so cuz there's 3 new families with little kids moved onto this street since last year. We used to all be in his driveway taking pictures while he hid inside!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:53 am

Strutz Strutz:
Trophy hunting of any creature should be banned everywhere.

You'd ban fishing, too?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:55 am

Acceptable behaviour is "catch and eat" or "catch and release".

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:02 pm

herbie herbie:
Know just one guy who got clawed being stupid. Know 20 who stupidly ran up and smacked one on the ass on a dare.
The East Indian guy across the street died, his place is empty while the estate sells it. We have to go pick all his apples in a month or so cuz there's 3 new families with little kids moved onto this street since last year. We used to all be in his driveway taking pictures while he hid inside!

The East Indian guy smacked a bear on a dare? There would be a Darwin Award winner, if he didn't have kids.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:06 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
herbie herbie:

The East Indian guy smacked a bear on a dare? There would be a Darwin Award winner, if he didn't have kids.

That's what I thought at first, then said "no, that can't be right" since he hid in his house when a bear came apple picking in his yard.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:08 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Strutz Strutz:
Trophy hunting of any creature should be banned everywhere.

You'd ban fishing, too?

I didn't say ban all hunting. It's hunting ONLY for a "trophy" I do not agree with.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:11 pm

raydan raydan:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
herbie herbie:

That's what I thought at first, then said "no, that can't be right" since he hid in his house when a bear came apple picking in his yard.

That makes more sense.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:13 pm

x

Last edited by BartSimpson on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:13 pm

raydan raydan:
Acceptable behaviour is "catch and eat" or "catch and release".

Yes. So far the salmon I have caught have all been keepers and were all tasty indeed. When it comes to crabbing we have only ever kept the males that exceed the minimum size requirement. All females and small males go right back in to carry on.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:14 pm

Strutz Strutz:
I didn't say ban all hunting. It's hunting ONLY for a "trophy" I do not agree with.

Only poachers do that kind of thing and if there were trophy hunts for poachers I'd be happy to sign up.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:24 pm

Trophy hunting big game "catch and release" rules...

Acceptable weapon - blowgun
Acceptable munition - tranquilizer dart

After pictures are taken, you have to remove the dart yourself and wait until he wakes up before leaving.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:22 pm

No, mostly native kids and locals did the smack the bear thing and they are way older now. My son's generation heard the stories and thought "fuck that idea". It wasn't jackass enough for them.

I'd keep trophy hunt going if it was like $10,000 for a permit, you needed a licensed guide and you had to pre-arrange someone to take the meat for food and the pelt to tan, pack it all out and deliver it.
Not like there's a shortage of grizzlies.

EDIT: and I'd still think you're a dick if you did.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Grizzly Bears, Orangutans the meteor can't come soon enough! :evil: