Category: Showbiz
Posted By: kitty
Date: 2017-07-03 10:08:55
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:11 am

As hard as it is to be mad a such a cute rubber duckie, it makes me a little crazy how much we paid for a fraud!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:36 am

Link doesn't work for me. I had to google to find out what this was about.

$1:
A giant rubber duck that caused feathers to fly for weeks before its arrival has settled into its temporary new home on Toronto's waterfront for Canada 150.

The six-storey-tall yellow duck was inflated on Toronto's harbourfront on Friday morning ahead of the weekend RedPath Waterfront Festival.

The duck's $200,000 price tag had some critics crying foul, questioning the bird's connection to Canada 150 festivities.

The festival, which has received government funding in previous years to promote tourism, received about 1$20,000 from the province and $250,000 from the federal government from the Canada 150 fund to tour the faux fowl in six cities.

The giant rubber duck is based on similar floating structures by a Dutch artist that have travelled the world.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/r ... -1.4187329

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/giant-rubb ... -1.3484310

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:54 am

Good to see Canada's government has its spending priorities in order.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:03 pm

What the duck? Ontario taxpayers take a bath on Canada Day

$200,000 :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:55 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:

$1:
A giant rubber duck that caused feathers to fly for weeks before its arrival has settled into its temporary new home on Toronto's waterfront for Canada 150.

The six-storey-tall yellow duck was inflated on Toronto's harbourfront on Friday morning ahead of the weekend RedPath Waterfront Festival.

The duck's $200,000 price tag had some critics crying foul, questioning the bird's connection to Canada 150 festivities.

The festival, which has received government funding in previous years to promote tourism, received about 1$20,000 from the province and $250,000 from the federal government from the Canada 150 fund to tour the faux fowl in six cities.

The giant rubber duck is based on similar floating structures by a Dutch artist that have travelled the world.

FINALLY!

The DND decides on the replacements for the Destroyers!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:49 pm

Wow that's crazy. Thankfully they didn't spend the extra to have a loon made. Not seeing the attraction or why anyone would want to go see it. I'm sure it makes sense to at least one person.

Edit: prof reading fail

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:37 am

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:

FINALLY!

:lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:46 am

ipad ipad:
Wow! to see this rubber duck such a giant in the water pool make it fascinated by the people and makes it sweep in water for a long hour.Huge loads of people gather to see typical rubber duck.

**Link deleted**

[huh]

I'm guessing that since English obviously isn't your first language you're probably a spammer from India or Pakistan who thinks we're stupid enough to click on that link you posted.

Just a thought. It ain't gonna happen but, if you really want to have any success in tricking people into opening their computer up, you could at least make an honest attempt to find an online translator that doesn't make you look like a complete [drool] mental deficient.. [moon]

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:29 am

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:

$1:

FINALLY!

new form of stealth warship!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:52 pm

I still have my son's rubber duck when he was young, I could have sold it to Toronto for half the price. :(

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:44 pm

$1:
The giant duck brought bang for the buck to Toronto's waterfront

Waterfront businesses give credit for huge Canada Day crowds to the mighty duck.

Toronto’s infamous duck has floated away, but not before inflating the city’s bottom line.

Waterfront businesses say this Canada Day long weekend was their busiest ever. And the duck is to thank.

“It was definitely the busiest Canada Day long weekend we’d ever seen,” said Trevor Brodie, Amsterdam BrewHouse’s director of operations. “Everyone was coming down to see the duck so it’s 1-0 for the duck I think.”

While the Toronto islands were closed, pushing crowds to the waterfront, Brodie says everyone who showed up at Amsterdam asked the same question: “Where’s the duck?”

Toronto’s infamous duck has floated away, but not before inflating the city’s bottom line.
Waterfront businesses say this Canada Day long weekend was their busiest ever. And the duck is to thank.
“It was definitely the busiest Canada Day long weekend we’d ever seen,” said Trevor Brodie, Amsterdam BrewHouse’s director of operations. “Everyone was coming down to see the duck so it’s 1-0 for the duck I think.”
While the Toronto islands were closed, pushing crowds to the waterfront, Brodie says everyone who showed up at Amsterdam asked the same question: “Where’s the duck?”
ADVERTISEMENT

“It was definitely a busy week for everyone down here. Everybody on the patios got up and was taking selfies. They were loving it,” Brodie added. “It was pretty cool to see all the young kids get up close to the big duck – it was the coolest thing they’d ever seen. All-in-all it was a great addition to the waterfront.”
Redpath Waterfront Festival organizers say they cleared half a million visitors on the first day, smashing previous three-day records. Lea Parrell, the festival’s co-producer, expects 2017’s economic impact study to far exceed the $4.2 million they helped generate from non-local tourists in 2015.

She says the Radisson Hotel’s Starbucks had to close down on Saturday after selling out.

Related
Everything you wanted to know about Toronto's giant rubber duck

Giant rubber duck wades into Toronto after causing a flap
Ontario Tories cry fowl over $120K for a giant rubber duck
“I have been in this business a long time and I have never, ever seen crowds like that,” she said. “You couldn’t move. It was unbelievable. At one point, it was like ‘oh my goodness, I’m a little worried, there’s so many people down here’.”

The city’s water taxis, struggling this summer due to the island’s closure, got a boost.

“Massive duck made a massive lineup,” said Tiki Taxi’s Luc Cote. “It was easily three times the amount of business we would have had.”

While most Canada Day long weekends only provide the water taxis a boost on July 1, Cote says he had his full fleet running 30-minute trips onto the water for all three days.

“We were actually busier on the holiday Monday than we were on Canada Day,” he said. “It compensated for the island being closed, that’s for sure. We actually really, really needed something like the duck to get people out on the water.”

Eleanor McMahon, Ontario’s minister of tourism, culture and sport, said in a statement that the duck was a success.

“The crowds lining up to see the duck and the economic boost for local economies indicates that our investments are effective and critically important for our tourism sector.”

Parrell says the duck was money well spent and that all but a US$21,000 rental fee of Redpath’s $121,325 grant went to marketing, fencing, a crane, a tugboat, and security they needed anyways.

The local businesses agree.

“It was massively busy down here and it was people coming to see the duck,” said Cote.

http://m.metronews.ca/#/article/news/to ... crowd.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:58 pm

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:58 am

I'm glad you posted that article Beaver.

Obviously there was an uproar over the cost of that silly duck but look at the outcome... businesses in the area benefitted. When they benefit so do their suppliers of goods and services to them, and so on...

Working in a touristy area, I can appreciate how something like that draws people to come and take a look, then while there they are drawn to other attractions they may not have been drawn to if not for that. In fact, I have seen firsthand how a little media publicity can have an effect for the positive on businesses and provide future benefits as well.