Title: Global trends show seabird populations dropped 70 per cent since 1950s
Category: Environmental
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2015-07-10 07:01:42
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:30 am

Who needs them. All they do is shit all over everything. Plus more fish for us.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:32 am

andyt andyt:

It's the garbage they keep eating. If they were smarter, they wouldn't eat it or feed it to their young.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:28 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
andyt andyt:

It's the garbage they keep eating. If they were smarter, they wouldn't eat it or feed it to their young.

If we were smarter we'd stop dumping plastic into the oceans and we'd stop buying from countries that do this on an industrial scale (China) until they cease using the oceans as a garbage dump.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:58 am

Yet another ominous sign that the global marine ecosystem is stressed. I suspect collapse of important fisheries will be a much more immediate impact than climate change. I hope I'm wrong, because collapse of major fish stocks would lead to a lot of starvation.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:04 am

Are the Chinese going to demand that they deserve a percentage of all our fresh water fish?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:05 am

Well, it's jumping the gun, I know, but if what we're having here right now is the new normal, as people fear, climate change may yet come out the winner. Especially with the collapse of the California bread basket. Breathing Bejing type air really freaks me out.

I'm so worried, on my next shopping trip I'm going to look at meat alternatives. every pound of beef takes 1800 liters of water to produce. Milk averages out to about 1000 liters. I don't use much milk, but won't give up my kefir and cheese.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:10 am

andyt andyt:
Well, it's jumping the gun, I know, but if what we're having here right now is the new normal, as people fear, climate change may yet come out the winner. Especially with the collapse of the California bread basket. Breathing Bejing type air really freaks me out.

I'm so worried, on my next shopping trip I'm going to look at meat alternatives. every pound of beef takes 1800 liters of water to produce. Milk averages out to about 1000 liters. I don't use much milk, but won't give up my kefir and cheese.

It's difficult to say if it's the "new normal." The Pacific Blob is big chunk of the North Pacific that is currently about 2 degrees warmer than normal, which is pretty significant. It may just be a part of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation, which we don't understand all that well, or it may be climate change, or, more likely, it may be a combination of both. There's also a moderate El Nino. But the Blob seems to be the main culprit for the unseasonable weather we're having.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:18 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Yet another ominous sign that the global marine ecosystem is stressed. I suspect collapse of important fisheries will be a much more immediate impact than climate change. I hope I'm wrong, because collapse of major fish stocks would lead to a lot of starvation.

Funny how nature works.

If the fisheries collapse then that will most impact Asia as they're more dependent on sea food than North America is.

Millions of Asians starve to death and then die in the inevitable wars they'll have over resources.

Pressure on the fisheries will be reduced and they'll eventually recover.

Nature in action.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:21 am

andyt andyt:

I've been using pulses and barley as my proteins. Black Bean, Corn and barley salad is just freaking awesome for the summer. :) I buy beef, but it's only for the cat.

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
It's difficult to say if it's the "new normal." The Pacific Blob is big chunk of the North Pacific that is currently about 2 degrees warmer than normal, which is pretty significant. It may just be a part of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation, which we don't understand all that well, or it may be climate change, or, more likely, it may be a combination of both. There's also a moderate El Nino. But the Blob seems to be the main culprit for the unseasonable weather we're having.

What worries me is this 'Omega' pattern we've been in since . . the fall? Last Summer?

It seems to be 'the new normal'. :(

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:26 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
What worries me is this 'Omega' pattern we've been in since . . the fall? Last Summer?

If you're very patient then one fine day most of Canada will be enrobed in a 3km thick sheet of ice again.

Sarcasm aside; things will change again and we'll be complaining about floods and freezes again and we'll be missing the years with more or less mild weather.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:03 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

If you're very patient then one fine day most of Canada will be enrobed in a 3km thick sheet of ice again.

Sarcasm aside; things will change again and we'll be complaining about floods and freezes again and we'll be missing the years with more or less mild weather.

I wish I shared your optimism. :(

Even over the past couple years I've noticed drastic changes in my local weather. When it gets this hot, we used to be guaranteed a thunderstorm simply due to daytime heating. And they came in around 6pm, every night it was 28C or hotter. Thunderstorms cooled things off, made the nights bearable.

Yesterday it was 34C, and there wasn't any clouds in the sky and barely any wind at all.

I know that 'weather' is not 'climate', but this 'weather' has been with us the last few years. It's starting to become a pattern.

As far as your tropical storm goes, at least your outlook is improving short term. :)

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/C ... 375822.php