CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:47 pm

ah Stemmer give up on posting old car photos :lol: never thought you would see a half million dollar Toyota...Left hander as well! even you could drive it :wink:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:48 pm

Nice car... Roger Moore drove a roadster version in a James Bond movie I believe... You can clearly see the Jag E type influence in it's design... If I remember correctly Yamaha had a part in the manufacturing of this car... I've always liked the Datsun 240Z from the same era... IF I had a 240Z I'd haul out that pathetic inline Datsun toy motor and swap in a SMB 350 4 bolt main....

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:49 pm

Tricks Tricks:
This doesn't have any bearing on current vehicles...

It proves domestics DO hold their value...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:54 pm

http://www.richmond-toyota.com/buy-american.htm

Toyota Tundra is More American Than Dodge Ram

Recently Cars.com released a study that announced the Top 10 American-Made Cars, and much to our surprise the Dodge Ram was not on the list!

Here are the results from the Cars.com study:

1. Ford F150
2. TOYOTA CAMRY
3. Chevy Silverado 1500
4. Chevy Cobalt
5. Ford Focus
6. TOYOTA SIENNA
7. Chevy Malibu
8. Pontiac G6
9. Ford Escape
10. TOYOTA TUNDRA

It's important to see what's NOT on the list? No Dodges. None.

WOW.

We had to see this for ourselves, so we did some research ourselves and found out the following:

1) The Dodge is 72% domestic parts, with the transmission coming from Germany
2) The Tundra has 75% domestic parts, with the most expensive components (engine and transmission) being made in the U.S.

"the Sienna is far more American than the Mustang. Statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that were publicized in "Auto Industry Update: 2006," a presentation by Farmington Hills, Mich., research company CSM Worldwide, show only 65% of the content of a Ford Mustang comes from the U.S. or Canada. Ford Motor Co. buys the rest of the Mustang's parts abroad. By contrast, the Sienna, sold by Japan's Toyota Motor Corp., is assembled in Indiana with 90% local components."

Last edited by mtbr on Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:54 pm

Just want to say that it's sure american cars have more value because there is more history. In 20 years, the Hondas and Toyotas will have more value too.

We are talking about history. It was part of the 70s and 80s. It is not anymore.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:56 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Shelbys are aftermarket. They are customized cars. It doesn't matter where they are sold.

A Callaway Corvette, Saleen Mustang or an Hennessey Viper are aftermarket cars... You wouldn't be able to get any warranty work for them at the local Chevy, Ford or Mopar dealership... A Shelby on the other hand is warranted by the dealer...

Shelby is sanctioned as a model of Ford that's why they were allowed to race in the pony car races as Fords...(SCCA, IMSA, etc)....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:59 pm

stemmer stemmer:
Tricks Tricks:
This doesn't have any bearing on current vehicles...

It proves domestics DO hold their value...

Past domestics, not current.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:00 pm

stemmer stemmer:
Tricks Tricks:
Shelbys are aftermarket. They are customized cars. It doesn't matter where they are sold.

A Callaway Corvette, Saleen Mustang or an Hennessey Viper are aftermarket cars... You wouldn't be able to get any warranty work for them at the local Chevy, Ford or Mopar dealership... A Shelby on the other hand is warranted by the dealer...

Shelby is sanctioned as a model of Ford that's why they were allowed to race in the pony car races as Fords...(SCCA, IMSA, etc)....

Sorry, they aren't stock fords. They are customized. Shelby =/= ford.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:01 pm

Yes...they are... Go to a Ford dealership. You can buy a Shelby Mustang but not a Saleen Mustang...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:04 pm

stemmer stemmer:
Yes...they are... Go to a Ford dealership. You can buy a Shelby Mustang but not a Saleen Mustang...

I don't give a shit, they are customized vehicles with special modifications. We are talking stock, shelby is not stock.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:45 pm

A Shelby Mustang is considered a showroom stock vehicle... That is WHY they are allowed to race under the Ford badge in sanctioned races in the production class.... While a Callaway or Hennessey is not allowed...

By your definition a Z06 is not a stock Corvette model....

Take a look at the Ford website... AND I really hate to say this BUT I used to work for Ford. Shelby Mustangs are considered a production vehicle unlike Saleen or Jack Rousch Mustangs...

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:08 pm

PS: AND if you disagree then take the issue up for Ford Motor Company and not I....

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:31 pm

Average Japanese car - current - holds its value better than the domestic equivalent. Accord vs. Taurus, Corolla vs. Cobalt or Windstar/Freestar vs Odyssey. NOTHING stemmer can mash out changes that. And no, no one cares what a '68 Mustang went for at auction. Most of all consumers.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:43 pm

Corvette vs Skyline or Acura NSX or Nissan Z cars (240Z, 260Z, 280Z, 300Z, 350Z,etc) ....whatever.... The Vette has a higher resale value...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:45 pm

Since 99 I have owned nothing but Subaru's, Nissan's, Toyota's and Honda. Prior to that I had one Datsun B110 and a Toyota Corona wagon (and several uJm's (universal Japanese motorcycles)). Interspersed with these were full size Pontiacs, a Ford Pinto and two Chevrolet Suburbans.

All in all the cost of ownership was far less with the North American vehicles. Recently I had to spend $6k to fix a Lexus transmission. A friend spent $9k to fix a Murano transmission.

And with regards to "independent" surveys of quality, MSN Autos reliability survey ( http://autos.msn.com/home/reliability_ratings.aspx ) is filtered as my evaluation of the Lexus with the transmission issue was not published even though it was reported months prior to the "latest" submission.

I get the feeling that North Americans' attitudes towards the fruits of their efforts are naturally masochistic and we have been mislead by unethical media taking money from parties of interest to alter the public's perception.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  Next