CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 28720
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:33 am
 


Title: Greenpeace targets KitKat chocolate bars
Category: World
Posted By: tritium
Date: 2010-03-23 22:51:08


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2074
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:33 am
 


Give me a break, give me a KitKat.


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2398
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:18 am
 


Who do the environmental groups hire as their PR consultants? Retarded 5 year olds?


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 24303
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:14 am
 


Why did Greenpeace all of a sudden discover the palm oil issue anyway?

They were among the biggest implicit endorsers of the problem back when Kyoto carbon offsets were responsible for decimating the Indonesian rain forest to create palm plantations for bio-fuels.

What happened? Is the Kyoto carbon offset gold rush over, or is this some sort of enviro-whacko bait and switch?


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4713
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:23 am
 


I think that for them is more important cases than stupid "palm oil". If we do like they say, the humanity will disepear during 5-7 years.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4408
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:02 pm
 


Remember folks, this is the same organization that wanted to ban an element of the periodic table.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63754
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:28 pm
 


Oddly enough, I agree with them on this one.

Palm oil is used in chocolate as a cheap substitute for butter fat and that impacts Canadian and American dairy farmers. The next issue is that palm oil is typically hydrogenated and can be a trans-fat which is not so good for you. And the last issue is as they say, Indonesia is essentially devastating their vast tropical rain forests and displacing (or simply killing) the indigineous people who depend on those rain forests for their subsistence.

While I am not about to dictate to Indonesia, it's certainly acceptable to demand that palm oil not be used in American and Canadian products.

Besides, the boon to domestic dairy farmers would be welcomed especially in a down market and there's the added benefit of keeping more money at home instead of needlessly exporting it.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63754
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:30 pm
 


Donny_Brasco wrote:
Woooooooot Bart sticking up for the Indigenous of Indonesia!


:lol:

Well, someone's got to do it.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13956
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:39 pm
 


BartSimpson wrote:
Oddly enough, I agree with them on this one.

Palm oil is used in chocolate as a cheap substitute for butter fat and that impacts Canadian and American dairy farmers. The next issue is that palm oil is typically hydrogenated and can be a trans-fat which is not so good for you. And the last issue is as they say, Indonesia is essentially devastating their vast tropical rain forests and displacing (or simply killing) the indigineous people who depend on those rain forests for their subsistence.

While I am not about to dictate to Indonesia, it's certainly acceptable to demand that palm oil not be used in American and Canadian products.

Besides, the boon to domestic dairy farmers would be welcomed especially in a down market and there's the added benefit of keeping more money at home instead of needlessly exporting it.

Cheap substitute is right. We've been scammed by the "benefits" of certain oils. No matter how healthy a type of oil may be it still becomes really bad for you as ALL edible oils and fats become carcinogenic when they reach a certain temp. Even extra-virgin olive oil loses it's health benefit if you use it to say, deep fry something in it.
And yep, most plant oil used in food are hydrogenated which ironically is WORSE for arterial sclerosis than the butter it now substitutes.
This is actually a case of killing others so we can kill ourselves, just more slowly.
Not only that but, those rain forests serve two purposes. They not only provide a means of survival to the Indeginous population, but they are also O2 factories. Hack down rainforests and you hack out the lungs of our living planet.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63754
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:53 pm
 


PublicAnimalNo9 wrote:
And yep, most plant oil used in food are hydrogenated which ironically is WORSE for arterial sclerosis than the butter it now substitutes.


And for that exact reason Mrs. Bart and I have had butter in the house for the past ten years or so instead of 'healthier' margarines (which are replete with chemical preservatives, chemical colorings, and etc.).

What we do to stay healthy is we just use the butter in moderation. We probably buy 1 pound (about .5kg) per every two months or so.

We also use real 1/2 and 1/2 in our coffee as opposed to the powdered non-dair crap that is made from... yes, palm oil. :!:


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13956
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:28 pm
 


BartSimpson wrote:
PublicAnimalNo9 wrote:
And yep, most plant oil used in food are hydrogenated which ironically is WORSE for arterial sclerosis than the butter it now substitutes.


And for that exact reason Mrs. Bart and I have had butter in the house for the past ten years or so instead of 'healthier' margarines (which are replete with chemical preservatives, chemical colorings, and etc.).

What we do to stay healthy is we just use the butter in moderation. We probably buy 1 pound (about .5kg) per every two months or so.

We also use real 1/2 and 1/2 in our coffee as opposed to the powdered non-dair crap that is made from... yes, palm oil. :!:

And aluminum in some form.
And same here. Ever since I met my wife, I haven't bought any munchies from the store(ok the occassional bag of new flavoured chips just to try 'em out). She loves baking so I get to enjoy baked goodies with no artificial bullshit in them.
She also makes homemade potato chips in the deepfryer. Yeah, not that healthy really but I do like my chips and at least there's no artificial bullshit or preservatives in them. And I don't ask her to make them too often.

And just as a side note, don't worry about converting imperial measures to metric measures for me. I'm still in imperial measures mode..except for kilometers. And even then, I only like kms because the math is easier for estimating how long a trip will take. Other than that, I still think in miles when it comes to distance and being able to relate how far away some place is. :lol:


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 6562
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:51 pm
 


Palm oil is one of the "baddest" oil for your health. Like Bart says, it's just used 'cause it's cheap. It's like biting in a shortening brick.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63754
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:02 pm
 


PublicAnimalNo9 wrote:
And aluminum in some form.
And same here. Ever since I met my wife, I haven't bought any munchies from the store(ok the occassional bag of new flavoured chips just to try 'em out). She loves baking so I get to enjoy baked goodies with no artificial bullshit in them.
She also makes homemade potato chips in the deepfryer. Yeah, not that healthy really but I do like my chips and at least there's no artificial bullshit or preservatives in them. And I don't ask her to make them too often.

And just as a side note, don't worry about converting imperial measures to metric measures for me. I'm still in imperial measures mode..except for kilometers. And even then, I only like kms because the math is easier for estimating how long a trip will take. Other than that, I still think in miles when it comes to distance and being able to relate how far away some place is. :lol:


I don't know if you have a convection oven, but we do and Mrs. Bart makes potato chips in the convection oven with no oil at all. I'll plead guilty to using too much salt, but the dang things are pretty good all around. She sets the oven at 450F and puts the chips on a lightly buttered cookie sheet for about 8-10 minutes and they come out about right every time. [drool]


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 6562
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:10 pm
 


Where do we buy a Mrs. Bart ? :lol:


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63754
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:19 pm
 


Proculation wrote:
Where do we buy a Mrs. Bart ? :lol:


Hahahaah!!

She's not for sale! We've been married 22 years and it just keeps getting better every day! :D


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  1  2  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.