canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:43 pm

Title: Growing wildfire prompts evacuation of High Level, Alta.
Category: Environmental
Posted By: Strutz
Date: 2019-05-20 18:27:01
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:43 pm

My hopes and prayers go out to the people of High Level Alberta. This is obviously another case of "if you didn't have bad luck you'd have no luck at all". First the flood and now this.

Here's hoping the fire spares them and the Reserve.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:09 pm

The jet stream arch must be stuck near or above Ft. McMurray again. When that happens the northern part of the province can get much warmer and dryer than it does from Red Deer on south to the border.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:24 am

Oh look! Lack of winter snow, lack of spring rain, and Alberta is a match box again! :(

Got my go bag by the door, with pet cages nearby.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:24 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Oh look! Lack of winter snow, lack of spring rain, and Alberta is a match box again! :(

Okay just a bit confused. Because Freakinoldguy said it had flooded now the wild fire. You are saying that lack of rain in the spring. So how did the flood happen without the rain. Sorry not trying to be a jerk just trying to make two seemingly conflicting statements mesh.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:28 am

stratos stratos:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Okay just a bit confused. Because Freakinoldguy said it had flooded now the wild fire. You are saying that lack of rain in the spring. So how did the flood happen without the rain. Sorry not trying to be a jerk just trying to make two seemingly conflicting statements mesh.

I see your confusion. The flooding is in Eastern Canada, 4000km away.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:30 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
stratos stratos:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:32 am

stratos stratos:

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

Happy to help. Here is a fire risk map, for all of Canada. The blue area in the east is where there has been flooding, the red areas in the West got very little snowfall this past winter.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:38 am

Can confirm, in the blue, flooded as fuck. Fortunately my subdivision is elevated

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:00 am

We're blue and grey everywhere, as usual this time of year.

There's only one year way back that I remember us having a forest fire problem up north... but we could still smell the smoke in Montreal.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:10 am

I like the 'Nil' diamond in Western Ontario. No one lives there, so no one takes records? 8O

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:24 am

Yeah my daughter is in northern Ontario there were a few fires around her. Now the lake shoreline is covered in ice and from the pictures it looks like it’s over 6 feet high. I think they got most of the snow everyone else missed. Good thing she her place is high enough she doesn’t have to worry about flooding and can get out of town without using the bridge. I still worry

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:27 am

In Québec, there's a lot of blue where nobody lives... wonder who's taking records? :?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:45 am

raydan raydan:
In Québec, there's a lot of blue where nobody lives... wonder who's taking records? :?

Environment Canada still has weather stations in the area. Probably on forestry monitoring stations.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ms ... 484375&z=6

Few and far between, but they exist.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:21 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
stratos stratos:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Sorry to cause any confusion. I was referring to Alberta's lack of luck as a province with the 2013 floods and now this. [titanic]