canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:26 am

Ironically my truck fob doesn't work at one specific Canadian Tire, the wonders of technology. 8O

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:48 pm

raydan raydan:
Think about this the next time you fly. 8O

Oh, yeah.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fbi-investigat ... d=31113456

$1:
The FBI is investigating a computer security expert's claim that he hacked into an airliner's in-flight entertainment system and briefly made the plane fly sideways.

The claims were outlined in a newly released FBI affidavit, which says that Denver computer security expert Chris Roberts told investigators that he not only hacked into in-flight entertainment systems 15 to 20 times, but that at one point "he caused one of the airplane engines to climb resulting in a lateral or sideways movement of the plane."

According to affidavit, Roberts said that as a passenger he broke into the planes' entertainment system through boxes under the seats.

Law enforcement sources told ABC News there is no evidence that a hacker could gain control of an airliner in the way that Roberts indicated he did.

"While we will not comment on specific allegations, there is no credible information to suggest an airplane's flight control system can be accessed or manipulated from its in-flight entertainment system," one senior law enforcement official said. "Nevertheless, attempting to tamper with the flight control systems of aircraft is illegal and any such attempts will be taken seriously by law enforcement."

ABC News aviation consultant and former Marine Corps pilot Steve Ganyard said is something that is a possibility, and is something the government has said is a problem.

"Nobody can take control of the airplane right now," Ganyard said. "I think somebody can insert bad data. They can spoof and fool the crew. They can say that they are in one place when they're really in another. They can do all sorts of things that could potentially be dangerous. But at this point, we don't have any reason to suggest that somebody can take over the airplane and fly it into a mountainside."

Last month, while traveling on United from Denver, Roberts tweeted about the airplane's system that caused the FBI to be alarmed.

After the plane landed in Syracuse, N.Y., FBI agents immediately met him at the airport, seizing more than a dozen electronic items.

According to the affidavit, agents later found that the seat electronic box on that plane "showed signs of tampering in the location where Roberts had been seated."

Roberts declined to speak with ABC News today but spoke to FOX after last month about hacking into a plane's wi-fi:

"It is definitely difficult," he said. "It takes a lot of work. It takes a lot of research and you have to be on quite a number of flights."

Roberts tweeted tonight: "Over last 5 years my only interest has been to improve aircraft security.."

Federal sources tell ABC News they believe it is extremely unlikely that someone could hack a plane's control system while in the air.

United Airlines also said tonight that the company is confident Roberts' claims are unfounded.

Yep, There's "no proof" that Roberts did what he said and that's why he's been banned from airports and aircraft all over the USA.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:27 pm

Rare occurrences of anything, car hacking included, don't require extreme measures to avoid them.

Many people get injured or killed on a daily basis due to fluky and rare occurrences. This is no different.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:13 pm

2005 F350. None of this will ever concern me unless a hacked pickup or tractor trailer crosses the median.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:21 am

$1:
Fiat Chrysler recalls 1.4 million cars over remote hack vulnerability

In the wake of the demonstration of a vulnerability in the "connected car" software used in a large number of Chrysler and Dodge vehicles in the United States, Fiat Chrysler NV announced today that it was recalling approximately 1.4 million vehicles for emergency security patches.

The company has already issued a patch on its website for drivers, and on Thursday it performed an over-the-air update of some vehicles to block unauthorized remote access, Bloomberg Business reports.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/07 ... content%29

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:41 am

Gee! Fixes released faster than Microsoft....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:01 pm

No vehicles recalled in CAnada, since they use a different system. Still no reason given why the vehicle's operational systems should be connected to the net, unless it really is meant to allow police to disable vehicles remotely.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:44 pm

Proper way to remote kill a Jeep

Attachments:
remote_jeep.jpg
remote_jeep.jpg [ 14.01 KiB | Viewed 237 times ]
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:18 pm

I cheaped out and bought the Wrangler without the electrics option. Now I find myself reaching for a button instead of the roll up the windows thing and pointing the key at it before before muttering you cheap bastard at myself...
How many times in my life I've tried to remind myself to always buy things at least one step up from what you need.