bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:56 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
In regards to WRG's comment about hunting seals, you can walk right up to them and put one in their head from inches away. If you STILL can't make it a clean kill, you'd probably be better off taking up gardening or something.

Actually I was referring to her big game hunting skills. psst don't tell her the Newf's main focus in the seal hunt is the fur. Flipper pie is just a bonus.

But I agree with you, if you can walk up and stick a spike in it's head, then you should be able to a put a cap in it, CLEAN KILL.

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:40 pm

Alta_redneck Alta_redneck:
Should we call you Instant Death? You mean to tell us you've never had to walk the bush looking for an animal that didn't drop on 1 shot. Or perhaps arriving at the scene of the kill and you have to put another shot into it's brain because it was still kicking. How long do those animals suffer?

Don't tell us how ethical hunting is, because it's far from what you make it out to be.

Oh I would love to be able to tell you that, but that would be a lie.

No, not all kills are instant, but they are as fast as humanly possible. From the first shot to death is usually within a minute. Not as instant as I'd like, obviously, but the first priority is always to end the suffering the second we can.

Not all hunters are that ethical, you're right. I have no respect for the "slaughterhouse" assholes that are out there with a gun either (by that I mean the ones that figure wounding an animal and taking hours to find it while it suffers and have NO conscience whatsoever about it because, "it's just a f***ing animal). I'd like to see those assholes held accountable as well. And obviously, because of circumstances beyond our control, there are those occasions where a bad shot can lead to a bad kill as well. There's no question shit can happen out hunting. It's not without it's flaws.

Actions taking place in the slaughterhouse, on the other hand, are far more controlled, and the unethical treatment of animals is done on purpose. It's not accidental, or an unfortunate event. That's my point with this issue.

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:43 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I had "Sunny Boy" hot cereal with dried figs and apples. No guilt here. But I do get my bacon and eggs from Hutterites, who are very caring when it comes to all aspects of their animals. And for $40 a chicken, they better be!

We have to watch which colony we deal with here. A few are pretty good, and there are a couple others that are no better than the slaughter houses. :?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:45 pm

wildrosegirl wildrosegirl:

Actions taking place in the slaughterhouse, on the other hand, are far more controlled, and the unethical treatment of animals is done on purpose. It's not accidental, or an unfortunate event. That's my point with this issue.

Good point.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:04 pm

Around my in laws there are few big hog operations, and they are almost all owned by Hutterites. The butchering plants are industrial, so I don't see what the difference is between a Hutterite and a non Hutterite operation.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:23 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Around my in laws there are few big hog operations, and they are almost all owned by Hutterites. The butchering plants are industrial, so I don't see what the difference is between a Hutterite and a non Hutterite operation.

The hogs have to learn Low German.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:23 am

Like WRG said, you have to know the colony you are dealing with. Some are no different than 'normal' high volume operations, some are still stuck in the 18th century and let the animals free roam.

http://thefarmersstand.blogspot.ca/2012 ... farms.html

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:24 am

Hutterites, the original factory farms.

I've never seen one that wasn't one.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:35 am

I've seen quite a few colonies, and they all have the newest and best modern farming equipment. The only old fashioned types I've really run across are the old order Mennonite communities. No electricity with horse and buggies. That was out between Neepawa and Happyrock (Gladstone) in Manitoba. We'bought eggs from them. As for kindness and care, maybe the animals were happy, but CFS and the RCMP seized all the kids because of abuse.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:41 am

I've seen quite a few colonies, and they all have the newest and best modern farming equipment. The only old fashioned types I've really run across are the old order Mennonite communities. No electricity with horse and buggies. That was out between Neepawa and Happyrock (Gladstone) in Manitoba. We'bought eggs from them. As for kindness and care, maybe the animals were happy, but CFS and the RCMP seized all the kids because of abuse.

I have worked from one end of Alberta to the other and all parts in between, every hut colony I've seen, has had a set up similar to this.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1437915/thous ... barn-fire/

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:48 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Alta_redneck Alta_redneck:
Can't be bothered replying to stupid sh*t like this. ^^^^ :lol:

Should I have used shorter words?

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
See above. Don't bring the hogs to the executioner, bring the executioner to the hogs. Don't pen them up in close quarters for days and weeks before execution. Execute them in a setting where they will be as least stressed as possible.

Something I'd advocate for people as well.

It's actually a business model. Quite a growth industry too.

http://www.mobilemeatprocessing.com/

I don't think 20 of these in all of the US are going to feed to many people. Really? This is like saying 1 sanding truck could do the QE2 from Ed. to Cal. in the winter.

And then there's this, trained butchers. :lol:

From this link you posted. http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... hterhouses

$1:
Enter the Island Grown Initiative, a nonprofit that sends trained butchers to slaughter, scald, and pluck chickens and ducks at the small farms where the birds are raised. They arrive in pickup trucks towing everything they need to process poultry: knives, a scalder, and a board lined with stainless steel “kill cones” to drain blood from the birds’ necks. The animals are cleaned and packed on plastic folding tables set out under white tents.

We use to get 4 or 5 brothers and sisters together along with their families on a weekend and do 100 chickens. Right from Grandma and Grandpa, down to the kids 5 or 6 years old. If you were able to carry a chicken, alive or dead you had a job that day somewhere on the line.

At least you came up with an alternative, but it's only for the hobbie farmer, harvesting their tax benefits and don't have a clue what their doing or can't stomach the process. Apples to Oranges as you say.

Being slaughtered in the comfort of your own home.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:59 am

That's how we did it too. My mom and her cousin's family, and a few others, adding up to a dozen or so people. Young kids would catch the birds, a couple cousins and I would cut off the heads(had a neat guillotine like contraption) and hang them, then dunk them into the boiling water and put them on two feather plucking machines. I also helped to weigh and bag them, or fetch ice for the water tank we kept the cleaned birds in. It's not a complicated process, and we could do 500 birds over a long weekend. The only part of the process I absented myself from was the gutting.