Title: HMCS Whitehorse incident results in drinking ban on navy ships
Category: Military
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2014-12-12 11:37:08
Canadian

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:56 pm

No reason to join the Navy now...........

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:09 pm

I never got loaded while at sea after my first year aboard....I got horribly seasick instead and then got stoned on gravol. Some of the worst hangovers I ever had were coming back from the bar and sailing that morning into heavy seas. What should have been a few hours of discomfort dragged into days. I learned my lesson well after the 10th or 11th time :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:45 pm

$1:
Canadian sailors will no longer be able to drink aboard ships, unless the vessel is tied up or an exception has been made for a special occasion such as Christmas or a barbecue.

Every night is BBQ night. [B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:06 pm

Banyans were always fun....especially in the tropics.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:10 pm

No booze... but pot is still OK.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:47 pm

raydan raydan:
No booze... but pot is still OK.

That's just silly.

I'm a god damned stoner, and even I think that if one is getting banned, the other should as well.

Impairment is impairment.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:54 pm

Too stoned to recognize a tongue-in-cheek comment, it seems. :roll:

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:15 pm

raydan raydan:
Too stoned to recognize a tongue-in-cheek comment, it seems. :roll:

Make him walk the plank!!!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:34 pm

It's a damned shame, really. We've had "wet" ships since about 1970 when the old British-style rum ration ended. After 44 years, you'd think that people would learn, but ...

The Admirals do have a point.

A total ban is an overreaction. There should be reasonable limits, that's all and if anyone s stupid enough to show up on watch while pissed, throw the fucking book at them.

Reasonable ... there must be a reasonable way of having a drink ... maybe two ... no more. Not everyone in the navy over the last half century is a idiot (or an alcoholic), only a select few.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:00 pm

Just another knee jerk reaction by a bunch of politically correct senior officers trying to get themselves plum jobs upon retirement. This decision is another case of punishing everyone for the digressions of a few which, seems to be the only way the Navy, Gov't or Military can figure out how to operate these days. Anybody remember the Airborne debacle? :roll:

This is a symptom of a Navy that, because of a severe lack of military discipline and leadership from the top down is searching for it's identity. If you go back into history you can see how this was all brought about after 1982 when the military was obliged to subjugate their own codes of service discipline in favour of a civilian one with the introduction of the Charter and with that Charter came the plethora of lawyers to interpret it and as everyone knows, you can't have enough lawyers to run a military. XD

Some people will call this progress but it's actually regression. When you can't control people and take the easy way out by punishing everyone for the few you'll eventually lose control. This attitude displays the type of Senior Officer Mentality shown in the aftermath of WWII which, the Mainguy report attempted to correct. To bad it appears to have all gone for naught since once you start collective punishments it becomes far to easy to take that route for every and anything you can't control, especially since it's a way to hide your own foibles as leaders.

If the Admiralty thinks this is going to solve the problems ashore they're fucking delusional. These kids are still going ashore to party and they're going to go on larger and more alcohol fueled rampages than we ever did especially when you combine it with the "American Naval effect" of bringing drugs onboard so they can "relax" while at sea.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:11 pm

Better shore patrols may have helped. The old American method was to send thugs armed with billy clubs into the bars to beat the crap out of their naval personnel wherever they are. The old Canadian method was much lower key, almost protective of the drunken hairy ass and their job was to separate them from trouble ASAP and get them into their racks without further ado. Perhaps today's buffers are tired of playing that game but it's part of their job to keep a rein on their messmates.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Tampa Bay Lightning

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:46 pm

We still have thugs on-board our ships and that go ashore. There Called the Marine MP's and they backup the on-board SP's and run the Brig. You dont want to be drunk on a USN vessel and encounter the Marine MP, they are 100X more brutal then a club swinging SP. If the USCG is aboard we only handle Civilian matter's LE wise. We don't get into the way of the SP and MP's.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:52 pm

We used to see those American "MPs" as being total, utter assholes and people like that were not welcome on our ships ... they were in considerable danger themselves, I would suggest, if they were like that.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Tampa Bay Lightning

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:00 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
We used to see those American "MPs" as being total, utter assholes and people like that were not welcome on our ships ... they were in considerable danger themselves, I would suggest, if they were like that.

They must have been the US Army's Military Pricks lol or the USAF's useless AP's.