Category: Health
Posted By: Regina
Date: 2010-03-17 06:27:22
Canadian

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:06 am

You're old; you're body doesn't work like it did when it was 40. Enough is enough. We've all seen what happened in South Park. Plus it's a privilege and not a right.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:25 am

My 79yo father-in-law, who had fought in WW2 for the Wehrmacht and then in Korea for the US Army (long story) now drives his 1978 Ford Pinto (which is in showroom condition) at 45mph on the freeway which has a posted speed of 65mph that everyone ignores. I'm waiting to hear he's been run over by a speeding big rig.

What's needed here are mandatory drivers tests for people over 65. When they can no longer navigate safely they need to be forced out of their cars.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:28 am

I am the first person to remind folks that get seatbelt, helment, speeding tickets etc, that driving is a privledge.

But!

We live in an extremely car centric world. Telling someone they can longer drive is a tough one. I know. They pulled my license a couple years back after I had a heart attack and the paperwork telling the province I was safe to drive got misplaced. Going from having the freedom to go where I wanted when I wanted, to depending on family, friends and public transit is a huge lifestyle change.

I agree that at a certain point, a medical and retest are in order and if found wanting then pull it, but not before. If I did not think that the paper pushers would expand massively, I would be in favour of manditory retests every ten years for everyone.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:15 am

It's easy for people to say that we should force people off the roads, until they walk a mile in those people's shoes (as Wullu noted). I agree that driving tests should be mandatory, but I'd like to see everyone have to re-test every decade at least (every time they renew their license would be better IMHO). It might get rid of some of the dumbasses who populate our roads, or at least keep reminding them of good driving habits.

Given that North American cities have been designed for car use, it is a major life event when an elderly person loses/gives up their car. They suddenly go from being independent to dependent on others for transportation. If they have any sort of disability (like needing a walker or a cane), using the bus, at least during the winter months, is a nightmare (falls are among the leading causes of injury to the elderly), while taxis are too expensive for day-to-day use. That usually leaves family members left holding the bag. As most can not afford to go out on a daily basis, it also has the negative effect of isolating seniors, unless they already live in a lodge or seniors centre.

I volunteer with an NPO that helps seniors get around after they have given up their vehicle and they are constantly struggling to help seniors. Trying to find volunteer drivers, beg for funding, and deal with an ever-growing elderly population keeps them busy all the time.

http://www.satsofedmonton.org/index.html

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:15 am

Just fire her car with petrol, no car - no problem.

Last edited by PostFactum on Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:31 am

PostFactum wrote:
Just fire her car with patrol, no car - no problem.

[huh]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:35 am

Regina wrote:
PostFactum wrote:

[huh]

Petrol

Forum Elite
Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:57 am

I needs to find out where they get these stats so i can sue the BC government for the age discriminating drivers license they have right now. If statistically speaking I am a better driver than a 65 year old why they hell can't I teach someone to drive when I have a full license, yet someone who is more likely to crash can?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:08 pm

Hide the keys. I agree with Bart, over 65 should have a yearly road test to demonstrate the aptitude to operate a vehicle, I'm also in favor of retesting ANYONE every 5 years, it'll get alot of idiots off the roads.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:29 pm

Just burn a copy of the South Park episode onto a bunch of DVD's and leave them around their house/car.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:31 pm

Choban wrote:
Hide the keys. I agree with Bart, over 65 should have a yearly road test to demonstrate the aptitude to operate a vehicle, I'm also in favor of retesting ANYONE every 5 years, it'll get alot of idiots off the roads.

I agree.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:32 pm

Regina wrote:
PostFactum wrote:

[huh]

I think PostFactum means cover the car in gas and set it on fire.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:36 pm

My opinion is that the stats should be taken into account.

I think they said on CBC Radio the other day that come 65, seniors are in the same high risk level as teenagers for getting into accidents.

I think graduated licensing should be reapplied once you hit 65. Road test every 2-4 years, driving curfew, periods where you have to drive with another licensed person, etc.

I know I`ll one day be a senior and its going to be hard as hell to give up that independence, but I know as someone young that senior drivers annoy the hell out of me.

There are speed limits. You drive the limit! Drive 85 or 90 on the highway is dangerous. I think police need to start cracking down on those who drive under the limit. Obviously weather and traffic conditions dictate one's speed. But given ideal conditions, one should have to be within 5km of the posted limit, in my humble opinion. Start ticketing these seniors and maybe they'll start driving faster.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:38 pm

And we all the know the only way to get seniors to change their ways is to hit their pocket book. If I had a dollar for every tight wad senior who holds on to every last penny until they die, just to have gone without enjoying any of it.... Start ticketing them for driving to slow and then they'll get the message loud and clear.