Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:11 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
desertdude desertdude:
No amount of reasoning can win this level of stupid, like I always say they also belong to the don't show me the facts my mind is already made up club.

I know. It's no different that climate change deniers, but I hold out hope that there is a magic string I can pull to untangle the knot. It's my nature.

And if I can't, then it's good exercise for me to get back to 'first principles' and remember why it is that Science is the best.

I wish I could find the video, but Tyson was asked why he doesn't "debate" people more often. And he said that when someone tries to bait him into one, he asks what would change their mind. Inevitably the answer is nothing, and he doesn't bother because it's a waste of breath.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:14 am

I just switch to mocking the person. I mean if they are dumb enough to believe the earth is flat in spite of all the empirical evidence, then they are probably too dumb to have an intelligent discussion with.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:20 am

Tricks Tricks:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
desertdude desertdude:
No amount of reasoning can win this level of stupid, like I always say they also belong to the don't show me the facts my mind is already made up club.

I know. It's no different that climate change deniers, but I hold out hope that there is a magic string I can pull to untangle the knot. It's my nature.

And if I can't, then it's good exercise for me to get back to 'first principles' and remember why it is that Science is the best.

I wish I could find the video, but Tyson was asked why he doesn't "debate" people more often. And he said that when someone tries to bait him into one, he asks what would change their mind. Inevitably the answer is nothing, and he doesn't bother because it's a waste of breath.

I recall that, but can't find it either. But then there is this: