Title: Ignatieff woos Quebec with arts vow
Category: Political
Posted By: dino_bobba_renno
Date: 2009-06-05 05:50:19
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:25 pm

Sure, why not? We have record high unemployment but take care of the important things like arts funding. After all winning is what matters.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:34 pm

I am sick and tired of the rehtoric about Canadians valuing arts and culture. They don't.

If I can support Hockey, and the younger crowd can support Britney Spears...

then I suggest that the enlightened and educated should stop being cheap bastards.

They should either cough up the money to keep the arts and culture alive, or let it die.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:57 pm

$1:
"I want a government that understands that (Cirque du Soleil founder) Guy Laliberté, (playwright) Robert Lepage, and (composer) Robert Charlebois aren't just artists," he offered, "but symbols of the creative energy that we want to display in all the population."

Neither Laliberte, Lepage nor Charlebois need government funding because they produce art that people want to see and are willing to pay to support. Government funding support artists who delude themselves into thinking they produce anything of value yet no one will financially support.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:11 pm

The cut that was made to the artists were for "international recognizing". This week, the Quebec government had to remove the president of the SODEC (Société de développement des entreprises culturelles) who went to the Festival de Cannes in a 1,300$/night hotel room and flew first class. On his week there he spent something like 125,000$ of tax-payers money. So f**k them. If they want the money, remove those expensive societies.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:11 pm

I'm not wooed. :?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:20 pm

If art needs help from the government to be funded it usually means the art sucks.

There's this art gallery in Quebec I walk by every day to and from work, you should see the crap in there.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:26 pm

Bodah Bodah:
If art needs help from the government to be funded it usually means the art sucks.

There's this art gallery in Quebec I walk by every day to and from work, you should see the crap in there.

They will tell you that you don't know what REAL ART is :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:28 pm

Anyway that is only vote buying. But the artists will never vote Liberal. They are all separatists. They will go with the Bloc...

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:43 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
Sure, why not? We have record high unemployment but take care of the important things like arts funding. After all winning is what matters.

Arts and culture are jobs for many people in Quebec. And cutting funding for them was what caused harper to be in the crapper in Quebec.. Its important to Quebecers.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:47 pm

kenmore kenmore:
RUEZ RUEZ:

Arts and culture are jobs for many people in Quebec. And cutting funding for them was what caused harper to be in the crapper in Quebec.. Its important to Quebecers.

I understand, that's why I wrote that winning is what matters. There's going to be a time very soon when the results of polling in Quebec will mean nothing to how a party does in an election. Then you will see Quebecers on the outside looking in.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:57 pm

oooohh. Iggy.
Don't you just feel the love?
not.

$1:
Artist hopes to float giant banana over Texas
Updated Wed. Jan. 10 2007 11:04 PM ET
CTV.ca News Staff

A Montreal artist wants to construct an enormous banana that would float over Texas, but critics say the project isn't worth government funding.
Cesar Saez conceived the project, called "Geostationary Banana Over Texas," and prefers to let the art speak for itself.
When asked why he would want a helium-inflated 300-metre banana to hover above Texas for a month, he simply told CTV Montreal: "Texas is as symbolic as the banana."
Then he added: "The banana has a lot of symbolism: phallic, humour, and political, too."
But some people were less than amused by the idea, considering both the federal and Quebec governments have already spent thousands of dollars for Saez's research and planning.
"I'm paying $65,000 to send a banana to space?" one woman balked.
Another said the money should have been spent on solving Montreal's homelessness problem instead.
The Canada Council for the Arts has defended the project, arguing Saez is an established artist and his proposal was chosen by a jury of his peers.
"The project was eligible and went to a committee, and the committee felt that the project had merit according to the criteria of the programme," said the council's Claude Schryer.
Beatrice Pepper, of the Quebec Council for Arts and Letters, said the attention focused on "Geostationary Banana Over Texas" can only benefit Quebec culture, because most contemporary artists are ignored.
"It's a big, big, big day today for visual arts in Quebec," she said.
"For probably one of the first times, a piece of visual art is getting the attention that it never gets from the media."
The project will likely require a total of $1 million before Texans see the giant banana sailing above their heads.
With a report by CTV Montreal's Caroline Van Vlaardingen

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Ruez quote "I understand, that's why I wrote that winning is what matters. There's going to be a time very soon when the results of polling in Quebec will mean nothing to how a party does in an election. Then you will see Quebecers on the outside looking in." Explain this please, I might be losing it, but I don't follow

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Hey ridenrain... you must have slept through it... its now 2009 :)

He was probably building a love boat for george wya and stevie

Artist hopes to float giant banana over Texas
Updated Wed. Jan. 10 2007 11:04 PM ET
CTV.ca News Staff LOL

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:52 pm

Yup.

Here's last years

$1:
Canadian artists want to float giant banana over Texas
Project lacks funding to ensure an August launch date
Toronto Globe and Mail via Scripps Howard News Service
Originally published 10:30 p.m., June 24, 2008
Updated 10:30 p.m., June 24, 2008

Despite getting about $105,000 from Quebec and federal art-funding agencies, Canadian artist Cesar Saez's flying-banana project appears to be meeting turbulence. According to his project's webpage, the "Geostationary Banana Over Texas" has failed to get enough grassroots funding to ensure its planned launch date in August.

He dodged questions about whether the entire enterprise was a hoax.

The Canada Council for the Arts took the project seriously enough to award the artist $95,000; a spokesman praised the banana project as "a work of public art" in which the artist uses "the sky as his venue rather than a park or street corner."

But now a link from the project's website -- geostationarybananaovertexas.com -- says it has collected only 1 percent of the $1.5 million required to get the banana airborne. By June 15 of this year, the project's own cutoff date, it had raised only $12,018.

The artist is required to submit an interim report to the federal agency by February before being eligible for another $40,000 in promised funding. At that point, the agency will weigh whether the artist will "be able to succeed in his original plan," Arpin said.

A spokesman for Conseil Des Arts et Des Lettres du Quibec wouldn't comment on the banana project and referred all questions to the artist. The council has granted Mr. Saez about $50,000 over two years, in addition to $5,000 in travel costs.

I don't want to pay for crap like this and I doubt 90% of the voters in Quebec want their money to go to crap like this.
This is the sort of crap that Iggy's supporting.