CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:53 am

Here we go again...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:55 am

Sorry about the double thread... the site was giving me an error but still opened a thread.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:06 am

Taken care of.

Went in random shooting. Hmmm. And I bet they still can't find 10 Republican Senators to vote for mandatory background checks either.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:51 am

$1:
This is the third mass shooting in Indianapolis this year.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:51 am

now is not the time... thoughts and prayers... blah, blah, blah

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:43 pm

sigh :|

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:34 pm

We should have an Omnibus Mass Shooting thread.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:12 pm

raydan raydan:

Oy. I was thinking the same thing earlier when I saw this thread. There are far too many of these tragic events and not all even make major headlines. It's a good but at the same time horrible idea. :(

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:39 pm

raydan raydan:

It would get a weekly update at this rate, as things in sad old America return to "normal". :(

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:16 pm

We interrupt the coverage of this afternoon's mass shooting to send you to the coverage of tonight's mass shooting.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:06 am

raydan raydan:

I'd prefer if we just stopped posting them altogether. There is literally no point in having threads on mass shootings in the US.

The gun nuts and NRA (and the politicians in their pockets) continue to block any meaningful action on preventing them and as Canadians, we have no say in the matter anyways. If you want to mourn people lost to senseless gun violence, it's makes more sense to post in the Omnibus RIP thread IMHO.

I won't be posting on US mass shooting threads any more after this one.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:55 pm

If this guy turns out to have been white, I wonder how many people will try to make excuses for him due to stress about unemployment, uncertainty about cultural changes, or something like that, sort of like what happened with that guy who went to Rideau Hall armed to the teeth to try and have a "conversation" with Justin Trudeau.

Of course, if it turns out he's some shade of brown or black, he'll probably just be condemned as another example of how violent and savage "those people" are.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:18 pm

Given the level of life-consuming mayhem that happens in the American black community on a daily basis that's one meme that really needs to die. The white shooters don't "get away" with it because they either get gunned down by the police because they're trying to commit suicide by cop or they kill themselves at the end of the rampage. The Latino kid that got killed by the police in Chicago, who is at the center of the new racial freak-out, had a gun in his hand and had been shooting at passing cars along with an older buddy of his. He wasn't George Floyd by any stretch of the imagination so don't make him another martyr, not when he was engaging in reckless violence himself.

And there's this - black kid from Ohio busted in Times Square NYC while carrying an AK47 and a bag of ammunition. Taken alive, not gunned down on sight, even though it's obvious he was going to go for a solo high score.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/17/us/ak-47 ... index.html

For all their commonalities each incident needs to be treated differently because at their root the specific reasons why are all unique. The only thing that seems to be certain in each incident is that some piece of shit with mental/emotional problems, or a criminal record, or devoted to insane politics/religion, got their hands on a weapon that they should have been prevented from possessing. This "whitey gets away with it all the time" is pointless, and not helpful at all. And it makes things worse because it injects more of the non-stop American racial poison into something where, more often than not, race isn't even a factor. Most of the dead always turn out to be white, and that's even when the shooter turns out to be white, so it's obvious that most of the time racism has nothing to do with it. If that's the case then why make it about race after the face with some un-needed comments that do no good and just ratchet up the tension even more? :?

Besides, as Boots just said, this is a uniquely American problem. Other countries react when these things happen while the US just goes "meh" after a period of insincere thoughts/prayers and pearl-clutching. It's an American problem to fix, not ours.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:29 pm

Strutz Strutz:
raydan raydan:

Oy. I was thinking the same thing earlier when I saw this thread. There are far too many of these tragic events and not all even make major headlines. It's a good but at the same time horrible idea. :(

Agreed. It would too grim. If I want that, I can go to r/morbidreality if I want to further shatter my faith in humanity.