Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:24 am

I love you Doc, but I'm going to have to go with Patriot and Housewife on this one. The only real reason Trudeau requested this election was because he thought he could get a majority.

Nobody would be complaining if the election call came after Trudeau losing a confidence vote, or if the Canada Elections Act dictated that it was time for an election. Nobody complained after Harper requested the election in 2015 or Trudeau did it in 2019. They were simply following the rules set by Parliament. Even when Harper requested the election 10 years ago, he'd already lost a confidence vote. There wasn't an alternative government that could replace him and get the confidence of the legislature, so we were off to the polls.

Everything Harper and Trudeau did in all these cases was fair and the election expenses were just part of the costs of living in a democracy. But Trudeau's summer election wasn't required by legislation or the Constitution, so it was BS.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:49 am

housewife housewife:
Doc the argument point of the election costs isn’t really about the cost but the priority. Yes elections cost money no matter when they happen. But to put ahead of all the other things that could have been spent on is the problem. Yes they are in charge but the priority list is skewed. To me it reads like buying electronics for a kid that needs food. I’m sure not everyone sees it that way but I do.

I see it. And you aren't wrong.

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
That is the point I was trying to make (in a roundabout way), but you nailed it much better than I could.

When the so-called 'leader' of our country focuses more on vanity projects or ego-driven elections more than the plight of his own people, it shows a huge disconnect between the politicians and the people who they are supposed to work for - namely, US.

:idea:

-J.

And my problem with what you tried to say was that you say nothing about the actual problem - climate change. Blaming Trudeau for everthing is lazy.

JaredMilne JaredMilne:
I love you Doc, but I'm going to have to go with Patriot and Housewife on this one. The only real reason Trudeau requested this election was because he thought he could get a majority.

I've never denied that caling the election this fall was a bad move, but it is the right of the PM on when to call it. Any party leader in a minority would call it when they think they could get a majority.

My only argument that complaining about the price is moot. It always costs the same, regardless of the time.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:12 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
And my problem with what you tried to say was that you say nothing about the actual problem - climate change. Blaming Trudeau for everthing is lazy.

1) As I've stated before, I'm not a climate denier but I'm also not 100% convinced of the seriousness of it all. Also, I have more important things to worry about, as I stated in a previous post.

2) I blame Trudeau for the things he is 100% responsible for - like a snap election that no one wanted at the expense of Canadian citizens. We're also talking about the same PM who still continues to blame Stephen Harper for everything. That is UBER lazy from someone who is supposed to set an example and do his job without bitching and moaning and making excuses almost all of the time.

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:12 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
1) As I've stated before, I'm not a climate denier but I'm also not 100% convinced of the seriousness of it all. Also, I have more important things to worry about, as I stated in a previous post.

You blamed Trudeau for a whole city being without water, but when it turns out it's actually climate change, you have no time for it? It's not important? It's not serious?

At what point does it become important to you, when you have no water? Won't that be a little too late to start to care?

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
2) I blame Trudeau for the things he is 100% responsible for - like a snap election that no one wanted at the expense of Canadian citizens. We're also talking about the same PM who still continues to blame Stephen Harper for everything. That is UBER lazy from someone who is supposed to set an example and do his job without bitching and moaning and making excuses almost all of the time.

-J.

Now you are hearing things. Pretty sure he hasn't mentioned Harper in 6 or 7 years. And when he did blame Harper, it's because it actually was Harpers' fault.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:36 am

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:22 pm

An old fuel tank in a precarious position that rusted out due to age and the fact that it's buried underground has nothing to do with 'climate change', and everything to due with the fact that metal deteriorates over time. This is fact.

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:46 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
An old fuel tank in a precarious position that rusted out due to age and the fact that it's buried underground has nothing to do with 'climate change', and everything to due with the fact that metal deteriorates over time. This is fact.

-J.

You left out the part about the permafrost melting and shifting the ground, being responsible for the water reservoir shifting. I got your back:

How Iqaluit's water crisis is connected to climate change

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:05 pm

:roll:

Metal corrodes and fails. Period. If you don't believe that, come visit my shop and watch corrosion in action on the chassis/frame/bodies of most vehicles that end up on a hoist.

It's even better AFTER winter.

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:33 pm

I've never said metal doesn't corrode. But the evidence is so overwhelming, there is a government website set up for permafrost melt, and how to adapt.

https://climatechangenunavut.ca/

You know you aren't going to win this one, any more than you've won any other, right?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:08 pm

You honestly think I'm going to trust any government or their sources?

ROTFL

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:58 am

Your congnitive bias won't let you. That doesn't make it any less true however.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:48 pm

The radio interview Doc linked is good, but it really is a shame the media never brings in engineers to explain these things. Probably because we are so boring. The two CBC North journalists from Iqualuit they interviewed were kind of lost on how potable water systems work.

There is no evidence of melting permafrost damaging the tank presented in the interview. The mayor says that permafrost melting is "most likely" the source, but tanks/pipes can fail for any number of reasons (freezing, corrosion, erosion, water hammer, etc) and you need a forensic engineer to determine why they failed.

Old underground storage tanks failing is a common occurrence, especially in communities that rely, or used to rely, on diesel for fuel, because they tend to have a lot of them. Often contractors come along and chop off the fill pipe and vent pipe and just build on it or pave over it--out of sight, out of mind. Until it eventually goes.

Often these leaks go undetected for a long time, and by the time they are detected, they are stuck dealing with massive quantities of contaminated soil and water.

In this case, I imagine they may have to rebuild the water treatment plant elsewhere. Can't imagine they would leave it situated on top of contaminated soil.