Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:03 pm

All you are saying is just common sense tho, Bart ;-)

There have been many books written with and about common sense, yet, none is gospel :D
For me, that includes the Bible, the Torah, the Quran, the Kama Sutra... :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:09 pm

Oh come on. Jesus made the Christians switch from Stoning to Burning at the Stake. Stoning is barbaric. 8)

Here's thing: It's not that Chrisitanity is better than Islam, it's really that Westerners have evovled to become better than most non-Westerners. All religions are stupid and Christians were as barbaric as these islamists burning women at the stake, etc. in the name of their religion. What's different is not the religion - theres not really any substantive difference in the texts - it's the people. And in the West, the people have become better because of modern liberal thought. And I mean liberal in the classic sense of challenging our own established customs, instituions and conventions, not in the modern political sense. The Christian Church and religious fervour was a casualty of western liberalism and we are all better off for it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:09 pm

The Jews, the Christians and the Muslims all worship exactly the same god. The Jews don't believe the Messiah has come. The Christians believe it was Christ, and the Muslims think Mohammed was the prophet.

Allah, Jehovah, YHWH, Adonai, God.

In practice though, the Mu7slims have reverted to the old skool prehistoric blood gods.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:17 pm

Brenda Brenda:

There have been many books written with and about common sense, yet, none is gospel :D

Brenda, I'm not going to tell you what to believe but I will encourage you to find the fundamental truths in your life because it's the things we hold true that are the foundation of character.

Not knowing what is or isn't true in your own life is like building your house on sand. Knowing truth and holding it close is like building your house on a rock.

When the storms in your life blow you'll not be moved if your character is founded on the rock of truth.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:17 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
In practice though, the Mu7slims have reverted to the old skool prehistoric blood gods.

This.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:25 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Brenda Brenda:

Brenda, I'm not going to tell you what to believe but I will encourage you to find the fundamental truths in your life because it's the things we hold true that are the foundation of character.

Not knowing what is or isn't true in your own life is like building your house on sand. Knowing truth and holding it close is like building your house on a rock.

When the storms in your life blow you'll not be moved if your character is founded on the rock of truth.

What makes you think I do not have found fundamental truths in my life that I recognize as such and base my life on?
I don't need a religion to teach me morals and values, to teach me right from wrong.

I rather use my own common sense, my values and morals and a bit of the law of the land than a 'fiction novel' that is badly translated...

My (very religious) friend once told me she does "not need a Church to live in Jesus' name."
I don't need Jesus to live a fulfilling, truthful life.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:02 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Oh come on. Jesus made the Christians switch from Stoning to Burning at the Stake. Stoning is barbaric. 8)

Here's thing: It's not that Chrisitanity is better than Islam, it's really that Westerners have evovled to become better than most non-Westerners. All religions are stupid and Christians were as barbaric as these islamists burning women at the stake, etc. in the name of their religion. What's different is not the religion - theres not really any substantive difference in the texts - it's the people. And in the West, the people have become better because of modern liberal thought. And I mean liberal in the classic sense of challenging our own established customs, instituions and conventions, not in the modern political sense. The Christian Church and religious fervour was a casualty of western liberalism and we are all better off for it.

Western liberalism grew out of Christianity tho, the focus on the worth of the individual. Ie the christian church did a lot to spawn the very enlightenment that removed Christianity primary foundation of truth for the Western world. (the plague actually played an important role too).

Western "betterness" owes a lot to Christianity. Unfortunately there are also many Christians who have attitudes not much more evolved than many Muslims have, just are held in check by the majority of people who have moved on.

Islam definitely needs to go thru it's own enlightenment. Our was very bloody and protracted, so no doubt theirs will be too. Plus they are spread all over the globe, with many different cultures whereas Christianity was confined to on small region that acted like a crucible for new thought.

What's for sure is we won't help Muslims, or ourselves, but painting them all with the same brush or treating it as a war between Islam and Christendom.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:03 pm

Brenda Brenda:
What makes you think I do not have found fundamental truths in my life that I recognize as such and base my life on?

I've known you for eight years. [B-o]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:06 pm

andyt andyt:
Unfortunately there are also many Christians who have attitudes not much more evolved than many Muslims have, just are held in check by the majority of people who have moved on.

I disagree. Some of us are 'held in check' by our faith and not by other people.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:09 pm

There are plenty who would also condemn Christ for having long hair, hanging out with disreputable folk and being working class and Jewish....Sunday Christians

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:09 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

The uniqueness of the Torah/Bible amongst all holy books is that it is the sole such book that was written by more than one person.
Just which holy books are you referring to? The Vedas have many authors, The pali canon came out of an oral tradition from many sources. Guru Granth Sahib has 10 authors.

But how the number of authors is relevant is beyond me.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:11 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Brenda Brenda:

I've known you for eight years. [B-o]

:lol:
Online ;-)

You should come over for a couple of drinks whenever you are in the neighbourhood. A whole new 'World of Brenda' will open it's (flood)gates :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:21 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
andyt andyt:
Unfortunately there are also many Christians who have attitudes not much more evolved than many Muslims have, just are held in check by the majority of people who have moved on.

I disagree. Some of us are 'held in check' by our faith and not by other people.

I'm morally strong enough to hold myself in check. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:30 pm

raydan raydan:

EXACTLY!!
Thank you :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:37 pm

Brenda Brenda:
raydan raydan:

EXACTLY!!
Thank you :P

Any time. :D