canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:32 pm

January 12, 2019 7:37 PM

Hundreds of Palestinian Christians and their supporters gathered Friday in Haifa, in northern Israel, to protest an Israeli exhibit that featured Ronald McDonald taking the place of Jesus on the cross.

The so-called “McJesus” exhibit was created by Finnish artist Jani Leinon, and has been on display at a gallery in Haifa as part of a gallery exhibition called ‘Sacred Goods’.

It recently came to the attention of church authorities in Haifa, who called for the protest.

The Greek Patriarchate said “While we express freedom of expression, this should not include mocking and targeting our religion and religious figures”.

The Patriarchate added that they blame the municipality of Haifa for this exhibit. They said that the Municipality collects taxes, including from those Christians that were insulted by this exhibit. This was especially insulting because the timing of the exhibit came just as the Greek Orthodox Christians were celebrating Christmas, according to their calendar.

The Israeli authorities claimed that the night before the protest, an unknown person threw a flaming bottle at the museum, causing minimal damage.

During the protest on Friday, Israeli police say that three of their officers were hit by rocks and bottles and injured. Dozens of Palestinian protesters were treated for the effects of tear gas inhalation.

The Israeli Cultural Minister, Miri Regev, on Thursday weighed in on the issue, saying that she had received “ many complaints of serious offense caused to the Christian community’s feelings”, and asked the Director General of Haifa Museums to remove the controversial artwork.

http://imemc.org/article/israeli-police-fire-tear-gas-at-palestinian-christians-protesting-israeli-art-exhibit/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:43 am

That's odd when I read that story they told it this way:

$1:
HAIFA, IsraelAn art exhibit in Israel featuring a crucified Ronald McDonald has sparked protests by the country's Arab Christian minority.

Hundreds of Christians calling for the removal of the sculpture, entitled "McJesus," demonstrated at the museum in the northern city of Haifa last week. Israeli police say rioters hurled a firebomb at the museum and threw stones that wounded three police officers. Authorities dispersed the crowds with tear gas and stun grenades.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/mcje ... ns-n958706

So how did these Israeli Christians become "Palestinians?" Is it because they're Arabs? Because if that's the case why don't your guys just say "Arabs" or Arab Christians? Or are they "Palestinians" just because they live in Israel? If so does that mean Jews are also "Palestinians?" If not why not?

There's still a wall around Israel, right?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:58 am

The way I see it, they're not mocking and targeting religion and religious figures, they're mocking and targeting brands and goods that have "God" like status in this age of consumerism.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:19 am

^^

McDonalds crucified for luring children to unhealthy lifestyles for the bribe of a cheap toy.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:43 am

I doubt such "free speech" in art would have been tolerated in the disputed territories around Israel.

Even if it was just Christianity being dissed, Christ is considered some sort of prophet and useful in the predicted final purge of the infidel in Islamic eschatology.

Jesus is "Isa" in Islam.

$1:
Abu Hurayrah narrates that the Messenger of God said, "By Him in whose hands my soul rests! It is definitely close in that time that Isa, Son of Maryam descends amongst you as a just ruler. He will break the cross, kill the swine and abolish jaziya. And money will abound in such excess that no one will accept it.

— Ahmad bin Hambal, al-Musnad, vol 2, p. 240[28]

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:25 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
I doubt such "free speech" in art would have been tolerated in the disputed territories around Israel.

Even if it was just Christianity being dissed, Christ is considered some sort of prophet and useful in the predicted final purge of the infidel in Islamic eschatology.

Jesus is "Isa" in Islam.

$1:
Abu Hurayrah narrates that the Messenger of God said, "By Him in whose hands my soul rests! It is definitely close in that time that Isa, Son of Maryam descends amongst you as a just ruler. He will break the cross, kill the swine and abolish jaziya. And money will abound in such excess that no one will accept it.

— Ahmad bin Hambal, al-Musnad, vol 2, p. 240[28]

Yes.

Muslims know Jesus Christ very well....In end times, Jesus Christ will lead Muslims. Islam tells us that. But Since Prophet Muhammad was last prophet among all and no other prophet will come after him so Jesus Christ will come as a follower of Prophet Muhammad.

Jesus Christ will be Muslim, He was and He will be as well.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:51 pm

So basically we agree then. You just wouldn't approve of my terminology.

I would say if some Prog masquerading as an artist tried pulling that 'Ronald MacDonald on a cross' crap in the disputed territories he'd most likely find himself flying from whatever passed as a building there for blasphemy.

You would say something more like the "Palestinians" might disapprove of being disrespectful to one of Islam's prophets.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:01 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
^^

McDonalds crucified for luring children to unhealthy lifestyles for the bribe of a cheap toy.

I recall the passage in the Bible where Christ was bodily throwing the money-changers out of the Temple - as he picked the one man up over his head, he winked at him and said "got two tens for a five?". Jesus had a sense of humour*. Do you? :lol:

* Muhammed doesn't :twisted:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:34 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
^^

Exactly. R=UP

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:11 pm

$1:
The Greek Patriarchate said “While we express freedom of expression, this should not include mocking and targeting our religion and religious figures”.

This asshole is dead wrong.

And the absolute worst mockery of 'our religion and religious figures' comes in the form of assholes in satin robes who would silence their critics with 'hate speech' laws.

So go ahead and mock Jesus all you want. So far as I'm concerned He'll be waiting for you after you die and then you can explain it to Him yourself. [B-o]

Also, feel free to burn some Bibles. We'll just print more.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:15 pm

Not gonna lie, I laughed at that picture. That shit is funny.

$1:
So go ahead and mock Jesus all you want. So far as I'm concerned He'll be waiting for you after you die and then you can explain it to Him yourself

I can take him. :lol: