CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 28992
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:03 am
 


Title: Japan to Build 22 Coal-Burning Power Plants
Category: Environmental
Posted By: Freakinoldguy
Date: 2020-02-10 09:01:42


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13914
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:03 am
 


So, this would appear to be the result of the Fukishima disaster. Or has Japan just given up on trying to be green?


Either way I like this part:

Quote:
The projects would collectively emit as much carbon dioxide per year as all of the passenger cars sold in the U.S. Activists say that the Japanese government allowed one of the projects, in Yokosuka, to get the green light without proper environmental review after the country was forced to close its nuclear program because of the Fukushima disaster in 2011. The coal plants are coming as the Japanese government touts the environmental friendliness of this summer's Tokyo Olympics.


Where's

Attachment:
un-general-assembly-climate-conference-390x285.jpg
un-general-assembly-climate-conference-390x285.jpg [ 19.31 KiB | Viewed 297 times ]


when you need her. :P


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 34681
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:23 am
 


Freakinoldguy wrote:
So, this would appear to be the result of the Fukishima disaster. Or has Japan just given up on trying to be green?


100% about Fukushima. The Japanese are very wary about nuclear power since Fukushima. But, don't tell them coal plants emit more radiation than Nuclear . . . It'll be our secret.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13914
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:45 am
 


DrCaleb wrote:
Freakinoldguy wrote:
So, this would appear to be the result of the Fukishima disaster. Or has Japan just given up on trying to be green?


100% about Fukushima. The Japanese are very wary about nuclear power since Fukushima. But, don't tell them coal plants emit more radiation than Nuclear . . . It'll be our secret.



Sure, until the nuclear one is hit by a very large, powerful wave, melts down and then all bets are off because it won't be trace amounts of naturally occurring radioactive waste it'll be a massive amount of the good stuff.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 28682
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:53 am
 


I imagine that Canadian natural gas could have been an alternative to coal for the Japanese. Too bad these dickwads trying to kill that pipeline in northern BC probably convinced Japan that it was more reliable to resort to coal because it doesn't attract as much protest from the woke 'n' hip. :roll:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5457912

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/rcmp ... -1.5457916

Reap what you've deliberately sown, Horgan, you backstabbing son of a bitch. :twisted: :lol:


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 34681
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:59 am
 


Freakinoldguy wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
Freakinoldguy wrote:
So, this would appear to be the result of the Fukishima disaster. Or has Japan just given up on trying to be green?


100% about Fukushima. The Japanese are very wary about nuclear power since Fukushima. But, don't tell them coal plants emit more radiation than Nuclear . . . It'll be our secret.



Sure, until the nuclear one is hit by a very large, powerful wave, melts down and then all bets are off because it won't be trace amounts of naturally occurring radioactive waste it'll be a massive amount of the good stuff.


Japan had a very successful nuclear program. It was one of the few who reprocessed their waste back into usable fuel.

Fukushima survived the earthquake, but the tsunami is what did in it's external power source. And only because the site was already being decommissioned. But the Japanese are almost neurotic about their food, and the fallout reaching such a large area spooked many against nuclear power.

I imagine at some time this panic will subside, but in the mean time they are reconsidering almost all of their other nuclear plants and need something to cover the shortfall in electric production.


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 1388
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:10 am
 


Freakinoldguy wrote:
So, this would appear to be the result of the Fukishima disaster. Or has Japan just given up on trying to be green?
Neither but closer towards the latter.
The Nipponese have just given up on the charade of trying to be green.


Freakinoldguy wrote:
Where's
when you need her. :P
Nobody needs her and outliers do not count for much anyways.


Just give it time and any perception problems in the cult of environmentally-pretardation will solve themselves by attrition because most kids know both scams more than adults ever will.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 18203
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:41 am
 


Quote:
Japan had a very successful nuclear program. It was one of the few who reprocessed their waste back into usable fuel.Fukushima survived the earthquake, but the tsunami is what did in it's external power source. And only because the site was already being decommissioned. But the Japanese are almost neurotic about their food, and the fallout reaching such a large area spooked many against nuclear power.I imagine at some time this panic will subside, but in the mean time they are reconsidering almost all of their other nuclear plants and need something to cover the shortfall in electric production.


I've looked but don't know how to phrase it right. Any estimate of what would happen if the same thing happens to a coal burning plant that hit the nuclear facility?


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 28682
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:54 am
 


Probably be a lot of pollution from the coal ash getting flooded and spread out around the plant if a tsunami hit it. Any nearby waterway would be fucked for a while from it, but then again it would also be badly damaged from everything else a major flood washed into and not just from the coal ash. The monetary damage would be huge from whatever electrical equipment got soaked and effectively destroyed by a flood. All said though it wouldn't be permanently damaging as much as nuclear waste getting washed out into the nearby environment or ocean.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 34681
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:57 am
 


^^

A wave hitting a coal plant would be far different than a Nuclear plant. (Poorly designed) Nuclear plants need water to keep the core cool, and electricity to circulate that water. If the core isn't cooled, bad things happen.

Remove electricity from a coal plant, and they just go dark.


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
Profile
Posts: 2050
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:01 pm
 


DrCaleb wrote:
^^

A wave hitting a coal plant would be far different than a Nuclear plant. (Poorly designed) Nuclear plants need water to keep the core cool, and electricity to circulate that water. If the core isn't cooled, bad things happen.

Remove electricity from a coal plant, and they just go dark.

Are you saying that there are nuclear plants that do not use water to cool the core?


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 34681
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:13 pm
 


rickc wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
^^

A wave hitting a coal plant would be far different than a Nuclear plant. (Poorly designed) Nuclear plants need water to keep the core cool, and electricity to circulate that water. If the core isn't cooled, bad things happen.

Remove electricity from a coal plant, and they just go dark.

Are you saying that there are nuclear plants that do not use water to cool the core?


No, I'm saying poorly designed ones don't account for all possible failures.

Quote:
All Canadian nuclear reactors are equipped with special safety systems whose sole functions are to automatically shut down the reactor in the event of any major equipment malfunction and to maintain cooling of the fuel in the event of a failure of the reactor cooling system. These systems are:

Shutdown system #1 – high-speed insertion of shut-off rods into the reactor to immediately stop the nuclear reaction;

Shutdown system #2 – injection of neutron-absorbing materials into the moderator, which can also halt the nuclear reaction;

Emergency core cooling system – injection of high-pressure water into the reactor cooling system if there is a failure of the piping.


https://teachnuclear.ca/all-things-nucl ... or-safety/

Fukushima required an external power source to maintain water flow around the core to keep it cool. There was no backup for that system.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 18203
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:38 pm
 


DrCaleb wrote:
^^

A wave hitting a coal plant would be far different than a Nuclear plant. (Poorly designed) Nuclear plants need water to keep the core cool, and electricity to circulate that water. If the core isn't cooled, bad things happen.

Remove electricity from a coal plant, and they just go dark.


Okay that's along the lines of what I was thinking would happen. Thanks


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 18203
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:39 pm
 


Thanos wrote:
Probably be a lot of pollution from the coal ash getting flooded and spread out around the plant if a tsunami hit it. Any nearby waterway would be fucked for a while from it, but then again it would also be badly damaged from everything else a major flood washed into and not just from the coal ash. The monetary damage would be huge from whatever electrical equipment got soaked and effectively destroyed by a flood. All said though it wouldn't be permanently damaging as much as nuclear waste getting washed out into the nearby environment or ocean.


[B-o] thanks


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13914
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:43 pm
 


DrCaleb wrote:
Japan had a very successful nuclear program. It was one of the few who reprocessed their waste back into usable fuel.

Fukushima survived the earthquake, but the tsunami is what did in it's external power source. And only because the site was already being decommissioned. But the Japanese are almost neurotic about their food, and the fallout reaching such a large area spooked many against nuclear power.

I imagine at some time this panic will subside, but in the mean time they are reconsidering almost all of their other nuclear plants and need something to cover the shortfall in electric production.


They've been terrified of nuclear power since August 9th 1945 and you can understand why. If you're the only country in the world to have be nuked in anger there's good reason to be somewhat leery of Nuclear anything.

I also agree with Thanos. Natural gas would be a much better alternative to more coal fired power plants. So, I wonder if they've considered building these new coal fired power plants with some contingencies built in so they could convert them to natural gas at a later date.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  1  2  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.