bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:51 pm

uwish uwish:
…So go cry yourself asleep on your wee pillow...

Don't talk or act like an eastern Liberal or left-wing voter who won't bother to conceal their glee at other Canadians getting hurt as long as the "important" part of the country always gets their way. We're Westerners and we're better than that, and we're better than them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:05 pm

uwish uwish:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Called it!

Government will seek two per cent wage cuts from broad swath of public sector workers

Just like the Budget was finalized back in September, Jason Kenney didn't reveal it till after the federal election so it didn't reflect badly on Andrew Scheer; he also didn't reveal this wage cut for workers who haven't had a raise in 9 years in his budget.

yeah sucks to have a job...my family has faced three layoffs (in reality, that means fired without cause..no such thing as layoffs in the oil patch) in the past 24 months. So go cry yourself asleep on your wee pillow..cause I just don't care that you as gov employee haven't gotten a raise..

The anger is strong in you...let the dark side of the Force flow through your veins.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:14 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Your own misfortune doesn’t justify deliberately bringing misfortune on others. The solution to increasing unemployment and stagnant wages is never to lay off more people and freeze more wages.

That's just the way bullies are though, they attack you for doing the things they can't do. Like think logically or feel empathy.

And technically, government workers will have to have their decade long wage freeze lifted, so the rates can be lowered and then frozen again. I even know a few people who were demoted from management back to Level 3's so that they dodn't get outright laid off. Lots of people in the Director and Team Lead categories are getting pink slips. A demotion and pay cut is the only way they get to keep their jobs.

But they have to pay high rates in order to attract the best people, dontchaknow!

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:55 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
uwish uwish:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Called it!

Government will seek two per cent wage cuts from broad swath of public sector workers

Just like the Budget was finalized back in September, Jason Kenney didn't reveal it till after the federal election so it didn't reflect badly on Andrew Scheer; he also didn't reveal this wage cut for workers who haven't had a raise in 9 years in his budget.

yeah sucks to have a job...my family has faced three layoffs (in reality, that means fired without cause..no such thing as layoffs in the oil patch) in the past 24 months. So go cry yourself asleep on your wee pillow..cause I just don't care that you as gov employee haven't gotten a raise..

The anger is strong in you...let the dark side of the Force flow through your veins.

Not really angry as an energy worker I have had one raise in 6 years so I don't like being singled out as if only government employees are 'suffering' at least they still have great benefits for the most part. Mine are essentially gone...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:01 am

Try being the small business owner who just had your entire staff cut.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.5260547

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:06 am

IT is a rigged business model...you can do well without 10 system architects etc in my IT days I did everything from routers, desktop support, WAN, LAN and infrastructure planning etc. It got too big for itself and now it is getting re-aligned.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:08 am

uwish uwish:
Not really angry as an energy worker I have had one raise in 6 years so I don't like being singled out as if only government employees are 'suffering' at least they still have great benefits for the most part. Mine are essentially gone...

Benefits? what are those? Raises? what are those? I'm a service slave. I last saw a raise when Obama was in his first term.

I know this isn't a competition, but lets be empathetic to all the poor bastards who's life rests at whim of others. Be it Kenney the God-King of Alberta or your boss that does nothing- yet collects a paycheque equal to 10 years your wage.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:10 am

uwish uwish:
IT is a rigged business model...you can do well without 10 system architects etc in my IT days I did everything from routers, desktop support, WAN, LAN and infrastructure planning etc. It got too big for itself and now it is getting re-aligned.

You have no idea what you are talking about, if you think today's IT in any way compares to that of yesteryear.

People like me and the former you were able to be flexible enough to generalize our knowledge, but the complexity of the operation of something like a SAN or Blade Chassis alone now requires an FTE to run them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:16 am

Δεν καταλαβαίνω ποια είναι η σκιά της λεπίδας. Ωστόσο, ακούγεται κακός κώλο.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:24 am

:lol:

A Blade Chassis is a way to stuff a large number of servers in small space, with more processing ability. With a 64 core blade, 12 blades per chassis, you can stuff 768 cores in the space you used to stuff 8.

You can the run up to 32 virtual servers on every 4 cores in that chassis. So, theoretically 6,144 servers in the space you used to house 2 only ~15 years ago.

It takes more than one person to administer 6,144 servers. And that person does not have time to run F5's or SANs.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:37 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
uwish uwish:

You have no idea what you are talking about, if you think today's IT in any way compares to that of yesteryear.

People like me and the former you were able to be flexible enough to generalize our knowledge, but the complexity of the operation of something like a SAN or Blade Chassis alone now requires an FTE to run them.

nah did all that as well, not rocket science...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:04 am

Really? So you can give me a one line PowerShell command that queries the logs of "nsr.js" that checks for any failed jobs and emails those logs to an address?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:06 am

that kind of stuff should already be semi automated. You would not be manually doing that daily...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:10 am

That is the automation. You write the line, and schedule it.

Automation doesn't happen by magic.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:11 am

**sigh** thanks Capt obvious.