Date: 2015-11-15 22:38:18
Canadian

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:36 pm

One of the things I can't complaint about. That said, I hope the combat vessles don't fall to the wayside in favour of the coastguard. We need both (I'd even like to see the coast guard armed).

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Tampa Bay Lightning

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:52 am

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
One of the things I can't complaint about. That said, I hope the combat vessles don't fall to the wayside in favour of the coastguard. We need both (I'd even like to see the coast guard armed).

CCG Armed? :lol: :lol: Your gonna have a heck of a time getting them into a Pro-Weapons stance from there Yuck Weapons stance.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:20 am

I guess that the Navy gets pushed to the back of the line ... again.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:15 am

As a member of the Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary I welcome this news and give the PM a nod of thanks. As to arming the CCG? You won't see it. It would a generation to arm them but why though? The RCMP have their own marine units as do many municipal police forces. Like my CCG counterparts we deal mainly in Search & Rescue. Security matters are handed off to police, environmental issues handed off to Ministry of Environment. The system works.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:26 am

Game Wardens(DNR) are armed to combat poachers, so why not armed DFO officers to handle smugglers and people fishing illegally?

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:53 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Game Wardens(DNR) are armed to combat poachers, so why not armed DFO officers to handle smugglers and people fishing illegally?

Because we are not law enforcement (neither CCG or CCGA). I for one can barely hit the broadside of a barn on dry land with a hand gun imagine in 1m waves 8O . Here on the Great Lakes both US & Canada are limited to the size of arms we are allowed to carry as per a treaty from after the war of 1812. We were limited to cannon size. They had to figure out the equivalent fire power in todays weaponry and it was determined to be .50 calibre. Again we don't deal in smuggling or illegal fishing, that is covered by RCMP, local police and DNR. We are strictly Search & Rescue or to be specific the marine aspect of SAR with the RCAF contributing the air aspect of SAR through 4 Joint Rescue Coordination Centres (JRCC) across Canada.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:34 am

ccga3359 ccga3359:

Because we are not law enforcement (neither CCG or CCGA). I for one can barely hit the broadside of a barn on dry land with a hand gun imagine in 1m waves 8O . Here on the Great Lakes both US & Canada are limited to the size of arms we are allowed to carry as per a treaty from after the war of 1812. We were limited to cannon size. They had to figure out the equivalent fire power in todays weaponry and it was determined to be .50 calibre. Again we don't deal in smuggling or illegal fishing, that is covered by RCMP, local police and DNR. We are strictly Search & Rescue or to be specific the marine aspect of SAR with the RCAF contributing the air aspect of SAR through 4 Joint Rescue Coordination Centres (JRCC) across Canada.

You folks need to catch up with the times.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg531/

$1:
The United States Coast Guard is the nation's leading maritime law enforcement agency and has broad, multi-faceted jurisdictional authority. The specific statutory authority for the Coast Guard Law Enforcement mission is given in 14 USC 2, "The Coast Guard shall enforce or assist in the enforcement of all applicable laws on, under and over the high seas and waters subject to the jurisdiction of the United States." In addition, 14 USC 89 provides the authority for U.S. Coast Guard active duty commissioned, warrant and petty officers to enforce applicable U.S. law. It authorizes Coast Guard personnel to enforce federal law on waters subject to U.S. jurisdiction and in international waters, as well as on all vessels subject to U.S. jurisdiction (including U.S., foreign and stateless vessels).

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:51 am

Our coast guard wasn't intended to be the same as yours. It's part of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. Conservation and scientific research are its primary focus. I'd still like to see them carry a few members who are armed to help enforce laws related to conservation.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:57 am

Our coast guard wasn't intended to be the same as yours. It's part of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. Conservation and scientific research are its primary focus. I'd still like to see them carry a few members who are armed to help enforce laws related to conservation.

Our Coast Guard was originally meant for revenue and tariff enforcement. Times changed and the Coasties fought in both World Wars and pretty much every war since then.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:17 am

See from the very beginning different focus......law enforcement/revenue collection to policing domestic waters. Our Coast Guard was never involved in anything like that, at no time.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:46 am

See from the very beginning different focus......law enforcement/revenue collection to policing domestic waters. Our Coast Guard was never involved in anything like that, at no time.

Well, given that the Canadian navy is quickly becoming a littoral force (by default) then maybe retasking the coast guard isn't even necessary.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:52 am

Well, Canada hasn't really been able to project a real naval presence over 45 years with the decommissioning of HMCS Bonaventure, so really, there is no 'quickly becoming' ....has been for awhile is more appropriate. As it is we lack the ability to patrol territorial waters.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:01 pm

ccga3359 ccga3359:

As a member of the Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary I welcome this news and give the PM a nod of thanks. As to arming the CCG? You won't see it. It would a generation to arm them but why though? The RCMP have their own marine units as do many municipal police forces. Like my CCG counterparts we deal mainly in Search & Rescue. Security matters are handed off to police, environmental issues handed off to Ministry of Environment. The system works.

But who's going to fire the .50 at Spanish fishing boats when the Turbot war gets hot again?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:15 pm

Weapoms are the last things the Coast Guard needs. Boats, bases and personnel instead of relying on First Nations and volunteers as responders.
Then rebuild the Navy, first with littoral class ships.