CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 27867
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:16 am
 


Title: Kangaroos Dying of Cold and Hunger in Australia�s Capital
Category: Environmental
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2018-08-07 09:05:00


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20787
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:16 am
 


https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/30/aust ... index.html


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20787
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:19 am
 


"(CNN) Mobs of kangaroos have been raiding patches of grass in the Australian capital Canberra, driven to the city's sports fields, back yards and roadsides by food scarcity.

Canberra residents have taken to social media with images of the jumping marsupials exploring outside their usual habitats. But beyond the cute photo opportunities, the hungry kangaroos are at risk of dying on the roads as their feeding times coincide with rush hour.

Canberra has more than 30 nature reserves, with most hosting hundreds of Eastern Grey Kangaroos, and it is not unusual to see them in the reserves or in roads or yards nearby, Australian Capital Territory (ACT) Parks and Conservation Service Director Daniel Iglesias told CNN.
But he said this winter the animals were far more visible.

"Canberra is experiencing a perfect storm of hardship for its kangaroos. New records have been set in Canberra for very cold, frosty nights this winter. This, coupled with very dry conditions with very little rain at all in June and July, means there is very little food for kangaroos, " Iglesias said, via email.

'Sports ovals, suburban yards, schoolyards and roadsides are the few places offering any green grass at all in Canberra at the moment and they act as magnets for kangaroos,' he said."


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20991
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:25 pm
 


Gaslighting.

The NOAA State of the Climate, Global for June 2018 (the latest), produced by NOAA states:

Quote:
The globally-averaged temperature across land and ocean surfaces was the fifth highest on record for June at 0.75°C (1.35°F) above the 20th century average of 15.5°C (59.9°F). The ten warmest Junes on record have occurred since 2005, with 2016 the warmest June at +0.91°C (+1.64°F). June 2018 also marks the 42nd consecutive June and the 402nd consecutive month with temperatures, at least nominally, above the 20th century average.


Also, the annual report for 2017 states:

Quote:
The monthly global land and ocean temperatures at the start of 2017 were extremely warm, with the first four months each ranking as the second warmest for their respective months, behind the record year 2016. Of particular note, the global land and ocean temperature for the month of March 2017 was 1.03°C (1.9°F) above the 20th century average—this marked the first time the monthly temperature departure from average surpassed 1.0°C (1.8°F) in the absence of an El Niño episode in the tropical Pacific Ocean. After reaching its peak monthly temperature departure from average in March, temperatures began to slowly decrease in magnitude, ranging between +0.73°C to +0.88°C (+1.31°F to +1.58°F). The last four months each ranked among the four warmest on record, giving way to 2017 becoming the third warmest year in NOAA's 138-year record. The 2017 average global temperature across land and ocean surface areas was 0.84°C (1.51°F) above the 20th century average of 13.9°C (57.0°F), behind the record year 2016 (+0.94°C / +1.69°F) and 2015 (+0.90°C / +1.62°F; second warmest year on record) both influenced by a strong El Niño episode. The year 2017 is also the warmest year without an El Niño present in the tropical Pacific Ocean.


https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201806


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20787
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:35 pm
 


[huh] Now CNN is gaslighting you, are they?

So what's the official Zip definition of "gaslighting," anyway?

Anybody who says anything you find inconvenient?

But the global weather is pretty up and down coming off the recent super El Nino. 0.3 above the 40 year mean, right? The horror! 8O

Image

Currently, there is hot weather in North America where it summer. The weather is seasonally cold where it is winter in Australia.

Surprise, surprise.


Last edited by N_Fiddledog on Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20787
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:43 pm
 


If I was gaslighting you I would be all, "The Kangaroos are all dying of frostbite. They're the canaries in the coal mine. We've gotta save the kangaroos. You're a denier a gaslighter and probably a racist because you want to kill the kangaroos by not burning enough fossil fuels so they can get some heat.

You're evil because you won't run a coal powered car to heat up Australia and save the kangaroos."


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20991
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:48 pm
 


N_Fiddledog wrote:
If I was gaslighting you I would be all, "The Kangaroos are all dying of frostbite. They're the canaries in the coal mine. We've gotta save the kangaroos. You're a denier a gaslighter and probably a racist because you want to kill the kangaroos by not burning enough fossil fuels so they can get some heat.

You're evil because you won't run a coal powered car to heat up Australia and save the kangaroos."


Gaslighting is when the average global tropospheric temperature is rising and you post stories about how cold it is.

Gaslighting is when a neo-Nazi runs into an anti-fascist crowd with his car, and you claim that the victim run over--live on video--in fact just happened to have a heart attack at that moment.

Gaslighting is when you promote white supremacists and then, when people call you out, you call them the real racists.

Let me know if you need any further examples.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 26062
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:57 pm
 


1) It's winter there so it's perfectly natural that there would be some attrition of the local wildlife from (what the Aussies consider as) colder temperatures, especially animals that don't have enough food and are weak because of it

2) The key part of the article was the lack of food for the 'roos was caused by long-term lack of rain, which goes hand-in-hand with this being partially a climate-change related phenomenon because increased drought and droughts that are much longer in duration than what was recorded in the past (even in normally hot & dry Australia, and in too many other places to list as well) is one of the more obvious signs of global warming occurring.

This really is not that difficult to understand, at least not for anyone who isn't pushing some kind of right-wing extremist fact-and-evidence denying ideology. Sigh. Where did all the adults go? It's like they all went extinct. :|


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20787
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:08 pm
 


Zipperfish wrote:

Gaslighting is when the average global tropospheric temperature is rising and you post stories about how cold it is.


Ah, so that's your problem, is it?

Relax. I can help you out with that one.

This summer there were some heatwaves here and there. Again relax.

Here's a spoiler. We're gonna live. Turns out heat happens in the summer.

Unfortunately summer heatwaves led some of the locals this summer to run about like their hair was on fire getting hysterical about things like how the Sockeye salmon were all gonna die. But then the actual Sockeye run starts and it turns out there will be a bumper crop of salmon. Sound familiar? :wink:

But that's the way it's been all summer this summer. Stupid "OMG it's hot out. We're all gonna die," story after stupid story.

Except today I see a story about how it's also cold in the Australian winter, surprisingly enough. Apparently some Kangaroos aren't toughing it out so well. I post it, thinking maybe I'm not the only person who will get a schadenfreude-y smile out of it.

But relax. It's no big thing. In the summer it's hot. In the winter it's cold. If I had a point that's all there was to it.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20991
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:16 pm
 


N_Fiddledog wrote:
Ah, so that's your problem, is it?

Relax. I can help you out with that one.

This summer there were some heatwaves here and there. Again relax.


I'm plenty relaxed, thanks. It's not that I have a problem. I come here for political debate--as most do--so I don't see how engaging in it is a problem.

The issue at hand is that you posted a thread on how cold it is in Australia. You have a long history of "debunking" anthropogenic climate change theory. In this case, I believe it was your intent to provide evidence that the planet is in fact cooling--again this is classic Fiddy "gaslighting."

So I provided some context to indicate that, while it may be cool in some places, or warm in others, the overall trend is increasing average tropospheric temperatures.


Offline
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 927
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:22 pm
 


N_Fiddledog wrote:
"(CNN) Mobs of kangaroos have been raiding patches of grass in the Australian capital Canberra, driven to the city's sports fields, back yards and roadsides by food scarcity.
Enormous country and they have to fench it all???


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20787
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:30 pm
 


Thanos wrote:
2) The key part of the article was the lack of food for the 'roos was caused by long-term lack of rain, which goes hand-in-hand with this being partially a climate-change related phenomenon because increased drought and droughts that are much longer in duration than what was recorded in the past (even in normally hot & dry Australia, and in too many other places to list as well) is one of the more obvious signs of global warming occurring.


You mean this bit?

Quote:
"Canberra is experiencing a perfect storm of hardship for its kangaroos. New records have been set in Canberra for very cold, frosty nights this winter. This, coupled with very dry conditions with very little rain at all in June and July, means there is very little food for kangaroos, " Iglesias said, via email.


2 dry months and some cold frosty nights. Personally, I don't see what CNN is getting so worked up about. Then again, I didn't see why the CBC would be thinking a week-long summer heat wave in Central BC would destroy the Sockeye salmon.

People should take a chill pill about the weather sometime, I think.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20787
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:42 pm
 


Zipperfish wrote:
The issue at hand is that you posted a thread on how cold it is in Australia. You have a long history of "debunking" anthropogenic climate change theory. In this case, I believe it was your intent to provide evidence that the planet is in fact cooling--again this is classic Fiddy "gaslighting."


I was going to let it pass, but then I thought...nahhh...

You redefine gaslighting to mean something it doesn't. Gaslighting is not disagreeing with you.

It's been explained to you what it actually is. You're not a stupid person so I know you understand what it is. Therefore I can only believe you're intentionally lying...again.

As to this CNN story about the cold Kangaroos it's exactly what I said it was. People keep getting exited about summer heat and the insinuation is always, "OMG, it's global warming we're all gonna die."

The last one was "OMG sockeye salmon are getting hot." So I saw one that said Kangaroos are getting cold and posted it with a smile. :D That's all there was to it.

And now you're freaking out. Chillax, it's no biggie.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20507
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:18 am
 


Thanos wrote:
1) It's winter there so it's perfectly natural that there would be some attrition of the local wildlife from (what the Aussies consider as) colder temperatures, especially animals that don't have enough food and are weak because of it

2) The key part of the article was the lack of food for the 'roos was caused by long-term lack of rain, which goes hand-in-hand with this being partially a climate-change related phenomenon because increased drought and droughts that are much longer in duration than what was recorded in the past (even in normally hot & dry Australia, and in too many other places to list as well) is one of the more obvious signs of global warming occurring.

This really is not that difficult to understand, at least not for anyone who isn't pushing some kind of right-wing extremist fact-and-evidence denying ideology. Sigh. Where did all the adults go? It's like they all went extinct. :|


That was what I thought when I saw this thread.


Zipperfish wrote:
N_Fiddledog wrote:
If I was gaslighting you I would be all, "The Kangaroos are all dying of frostbite. They're the canaries in the coal mine. We've gotta save the kangaroos. You're a denier a gaslighter and probably a racist because you want to kill the kangaroos by not burning enough fossil fuels so they can get some heat.

You're evil because you won't run a coal powered car to heat up Australia and save the kangaroos."


Gaslighting is when the average global tropospheric temperature is rising and you post stories about how cold it is.

Gaslighting is when a neo-Nazi runs into an anti-fascist crowd with his car, and you claim that the victim run over--live on video--in fact just happened to have a heart attack at that moment.

Gaslighting is when you promote white supremacists and then, when people call you out, you call them the real racists.

Let me know if you need any further examples.


R=UP


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20787
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:15 am
 


One more time then, Boots. This time I'll explain it so clearly that even you can understand it.

The thing about Gaslighting is the claim the gaslighter makes has to be false. It's gaslighting if I make something or someone sane out as being insane. But it's not gaslighting to notice that something or someone is insane when they actually are nuts.

The question of sanity isn't present here in this particular case but it's the same principal.

By posting a winter horror story I'm mocking the pattern of incessantly posting summer horror stories to sell the global warming scare. I'm saying weather is not climate. It's always silly to say it is.

So that's not gaslighting. Suggesting weather is climate is silly. That's not false. It's worth mocking.

But if you're going to mock it you should be consistent in Summer and winter. Consistency that doesn't appear to be the case when coming from the Summertime Chicken Littles. Or is that gaslighting? :wink: Only if it's not true.

And since you've succeeded in irritating me I'm going to go somewhere I wanted to avoid.

I didn't want this get into another "Catastrophes of global warming, true or false" thread but if you really are so impressed by the below, let's get into it:

Quote:
2) The key part of the article was the lack of food for the 'roos was caused by long-term lack of rain, which goes hand-in-hand with this being partially a climate-change related phenomenon because increased drought and droughts that are much longer in duration than what was recorded in the past


I don't think that's true. I don't think there is evidence droughts are worse lately as a result of greenhouse gas warming.

Go ahead though, you post me your evidence and I'll post you mine.

Oh and Zip is lying or misrepresenting facts to present a false narrative by demeaning at a personal level. That is Gaslighting.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  1  2  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: llama66 and 10 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.