Category: Political
Posted By: BeaverFever
Date: 2016-01-14 16:06:42
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:14 pm

Canada's Donald Trump?

I thought the whole Harper legacy was to supposed to be convincing Canadians that Conservatives weren't ruthless right-wing assholes like O'Leary. O'Leary doesn't just happen to be a ruthless asshole, he actually puts time and effort into presenting himself as such to the public and admits that he enjoys having that reputation.

On the plus side, if he did become the CPC leader, he'd probably guarantee that the Cons would go another 2 decades without winning an election.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:21 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Canada's Donald Trump?

I thought the whole Harper legacy was to supposed to be convincing Canadians that Conservatives weren't ruthless right-wing assholes like O'Leary. O'Leary doesn't just happen to be a ruthless asshole, he actually puts time and effort into presenting himself as such to the public and admits that he enjoys having that reputation.

On the plus side, if he did become the CPC leader, he'd probably guarantee that the Cons would go another 2 decades without winning an election.

I agree 100% with you here. That's what conservatives do, weigh the evidence and judge accordingly. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:22 pm

That would be a serious, major mistake for the Conservatives to go out on a populist wing-ding extreme. Conservatives often form governments because they are perceived to be more careful at governance and keeping the books. That's how the last cycle of Conservative administrations began. Canadians will not vote for an exciting, roller coaster-riding right winger. We are not like that. We don't need that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:50 pm

I'm confident the Conservative Party won't fall low enough to make O'Leary a legitimate option. Pretty sure they demand a fair bit more maturity from their leaders than that virus with shoes has to offer.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:01 pm

I think they've learned their lesson. At the very least, they'll go for somebody with a sunny disposition. Was it Kenny that talked about that? I'd like to see Lisa Rait go for it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:05 pm

Mr Wonderful himself...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:33 pm

andyt andyt:
I think they've learned their lesson. At the very least, they'll go for somebody with a sunny disposition. Was it Kenny that talked about that? I'd like to see Lisa Rait go for it.

Ditto.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:54 pm

andyt andyt:

Actually I think Raitt has a reputation as a crusty battle axe. At least she did before she decided to run for office about a decade ago, when she was the head of Toronto Port Authority.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:56 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
andyt andyt:

Actually I think Raitt has a reputation as a crusty battle axe. At least she did before she decided to run for office about a decade ago, when she was the head of Toronto Port Authority.

...another hard-headed business person like O'Leary but a grown-up, instead.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:57 pm

My impression over the years was she was a moderate who had her act together, wasn't so dogmatic. I mean these are conservatives, so I doubt I'll think any of them are all that great. The days of Robert Stanfield and Joe Clark are long gone.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:07 pm

andyt andyt:
My impression over the years was she was a moderate who had her act together, wasn't so dogmatic. I mean these are conservatives, so I doubt I'll think any of them are all that great. The days of Robert Stanfield and Joe Clark are long gone.

I live in the neighbouring riding to Lisa's and we see a fair bit of her. She actually lives here and is part of our community so we see her as a human. The Conservatives should consider moving back towards the Clark/Stanfield Progressives if they want to be elected. I may be wrong but I believe that the Reformacons have run their course and the remaining group don't have a personable enough leader to offer up that will attract many votes outside of Alberta and the Interior of BC.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:24 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
The Conservatives should consider moving back towards the Clark/Stanfield Progressives if they want to be elected.

Clark/Stansfield never won anything of significance, unless one thinks having a minority government that lasts for eight lousy months was some kind of victory. And then managing to lose that government because of the bizarre decision to "govern like we have a majority" with a budget that the opposition had no intention of ever supporting. Joe Clark was Liberal Canada's favourite Tory, and that was only because of his "hyuck, yep, I'm a loveable loser" image.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:42 am

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
andyt andyt:

I live in the neighbouring riding to Lisa's and we see a fair bit of her. She actually lives here and is part of our community so we see her as a human. The Conservatives should consider moving back towards the Clark/Stanfield Progressives if they want to be elected. I may be wrong but I believe that the Reformacons have run their course and the remaining group don't have a personable enough leader to offer up that will attract many votes outside of Alberta and the Interior of BC.

Well to be fair from my last comments, Toronto Port Authority, which is a federal agency, is a difficult and controversial file anyway because the city and province have overlapping and competing mandates, they are always fighting with each other. Anyway, I heard tell that during the Raitt days, TPA and Raitt herself were very hostile and difficult to deal with, and that things improved when she stepped down to run for MP.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:58 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Canada's Donald Trump?

You sound a little threatened. Probably explains why you posted the story and couldn't wait to comment on it.

Could Kevin knock your precious Justin out of his job?