Date: 2015-06-23 18:42:11
Canadian

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:56 pm

Maybe Colt's bankruptcy will result in the return of Dimaco?

The new rifles they are posing with look nice (appearance, not performance). Barrel appears to be a bit shorter so I wonder if muzzle velocity & range are lower than the Enfields?

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:51 pm

The new rifles are all chambered for the .308 Win/7.62x51mm NATO cartridge. The .308 has more energy, a slightly higher velocity, and therefore flies a bit flatter. There are quite a few variables that could get thrown into the mix, like the bullet's diameter, .308 compared to the .303 with a diameter of .311, also bullet weight, style, ballistic coefficient.......all things considered though I think the .308 stacks up just a wee bit better than the .303 British cartridge.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:33 am

I wouldn't mind one of those myself, to replace my grandfathers' Lee Enfield.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:09 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Yep, I wouldn't mind adding one or two of them to the gun cabinet, not to replace anything though. As most in the shooting fraternity know, there is no such thing as too many guns..... :D :wink:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:48 am

Hyack Hyack:
As most in the shooting fraternity know, there is no such thing as too many guns..... :D :wink:

Yup. :)

There is another view of it over here:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... mperatures

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:10 pm

Hyack Hyack:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Yep, I wouldn't mind adding one or two of them to the gun cabinet, not to replace anything though. As most in the shooting fraternity know, there is no such thing as too many guns..... :D :wink:

I tell people that I have firearms for different purposes just as golfers have a bag full of clubs for different uses.

Most reasonable people understand this. And then there's the idiots like whoever is going to be first to condemn me for what I just said. :wink:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Nice looking piece of equipment. Really need to get myself a gun. And find a place to shoot. And maybe learn how to shoot as well. Not necessarily in that order. :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:14 pm

Unsound Unsound:
And find a place to shoot.

About 4 hours northwest of Edmonton there is lots of space for shooting. No gun club fees either. 8)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:25 pm

2Cdo 2Cdo:
Unsound Unsound:

About 4 hours northwest of Edmonton there is lots of space for shooting. No gun club fees either. 8)

Also no one sitting around keeping track of who comes and goes at the range. :idea:

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:28 pm

Unsound Unsound:
Nice looking piece of equipment. Really need to get myself a gun. And find a place to shoot. And maybe learn how to shoot as well. Not necessarily in that order. :)

If you're planning on buying a first rifle and have no plans on using it to hunt with I would recommend buying a .22 caliber bolt action, preferably one known for accuracy. As for a place to shoot, contact any of the hunting/fishing clubs close by, some of them have indoor ranges for .22s only. There are also target shooting clubs which are a great place to learn how to shoot. First off though you're going to have to take the course on safety etc, which is needed to obtain a license to buy a firearm!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:31 pm

I learnt to shoot with an old bolt action Cooey. :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:32 pm

Hyack Hyack:
Unsound Unsound:

If you're planning on buying a first rifle and have no plans on using it to hunt with I would recommend buying a .22 caliber bolt action, preferably one known for accuracy. As for a place to shoot, contact any of the hunting/fishing clubs close by, some of them have indoor ranges for .22s only. There are also target shooting clubs which are a great place to learn how to shoot. First off though you're going to have to take the course on safety etc, which is needed to obtain a license to buy a firearm!

I've often said the same for anyone wanting to improve their shooting. Go with a nice .22, ammo is cheap thus allowing a lot more practice.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:33 pm

2Cdo 2Cdo:
Unsound Unsound:

http://esrd.alberta.ca/recreation-publi ... use-zones/

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:02 pm

Hyack Hyack:
First off though you're going to have to take the course on safety etc, which is needed to obtain a license to buy a firearm!

Got my RPAL a few years ago, but haven't done anything with it since.

I agree about the 22 though. Pretty sure my dad has one I can probably "borrow" until he feels the the need to put it back in storage for years at a time.

Biggest thing really is finding somewhere convenient to go. Far as I know Phoenix is the only indoor range in Edmonton where you can use long guns and it, and the outdoor ranges that I know of, are inconveniently far away. There's also thing where I'm very self-conscious when I'm doing something I'm not good at, so the idea of range officers watching me is... annoying.

Lots of excuse :)

Maybe this will be the summer I find my way around some of them.