Title: Kudos to Harper for Haitian rescue effort
Category: Misc CDN
Posted By: Alta_redneck
Date: 2010-01-13 17:39:15
Canadian

Detroit Red Wings

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:36 am

Kudos for sending help without any questions asked. Also, it makes me proud to see the military so responsive at the drop of a dime. Good jobs all around and good luck helping those in need.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:52 pm

Yup. I watched the news this morning and Canada is really stepping up to the plate. Good job!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:57 pm

It is good to see, and as my colleague on the other side of the House, I mean forum said (the Right Honourable Derby, Liberal Land South) , the Libs were the guys behind DART and the Tories got the C17's.

Both governments did good on this and we should all pat each other on the back, Liberals and Tories, for making sure we had the capability to respond so quickly in Haiti's hour of need.

I think they now need to deploy air-to-air tankers (Airbus) to a nearby island as apparently fuel is an issue at Port au Prince.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:52 pm

It's a pity the Liberal spokesman Justice and Human Rights couldn't help himself from partisan politics though.

http://twitter.com/ujjaldosanjh/status/7730282986

Faster than two weeks it took you and your troops for the Tsunami Dosanjh.

Plonker.

McCallum slagging our troops off as war criminals and this idiot trying to accuse the Government of slow reactions to Haiti.

Nice.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:20 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
It's a pity the Liberal spokesman Justice and Human Rights couldn't help himself from partisan politics though.

Plonker.

McCallum slagging our troops off as war criminals and this idiot trying to accuse the Government of slow reactions to Haiti.

Nice.

Just two of the many reasons I can't see myself voting Liberal anytime soon.

Nice to see a PM who didn't have to study something to death before acting. :roll: Good luck troops. :rock:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:32 pm

How long will it be before the ultimate cynic suggests Harper's fast reaction was a way to court the immigrant vote in Quebec?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:33 pm

2Cdo 2Cdo:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

Plonker.

Nice.

Just two of the many reasons I can't see myself voting Liberal anytime soon.

Nice to see a PM who didn't have to study something to death before acting. :roll: Good luck troops. :rock:

Agreed. It's bad enough to have an MP saying this, a former MND makes it downright ugly. :evil:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:36 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:

Plonker.

Nice.

Wow, that's just sad. (on Dosanjh's part, not yours)

I do have a question...would air tankers actually be able to carry fuel that isn't made for aircraft? Or are you specifically referring to helping to fuel aircraft to help them take off? I remember reading there is a fuel shortage in the country, but wouldn't it be more cost effective to get an oil tanker from the US Gulf coast (or wherever else) there to supply the fuel?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:47 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
How long will it be before the ultimate cynic suggests Harper's fast reaction was a way to court the immigrant vote in Quebec?

Don't quote me or nothing but I think on the CBC site it is found in some of the comments after one of the many stories about the quake. The same people will call it a "photo op" if the PM heads down there but if a Liberal MP goes it is "fact finding". :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:47 pm

2Cdo 2Cdo:
Gunnair Gunnair:

Don't quote me or nothing but I think on the CBC site it is found in some of the comments after one of the many stories about the quake. The same people will call it a "photo op" if the PM heads down there but if a Liberal MP goes it is "fact finding". :roll:

I'm not surprised.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:53 pm

commanderkai commanderkai:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

Plonker.

Nice.

Wow, that's just sad. (on Dosanjh's part, not yours)

I do have a question...would air tankers actually be able to carry fuel that isn't made for aircraft? Or are you specifically referring to helping to fuel aircraft to help them take off? I remember reading there is a fuel shortage in the country, but wouldn't it be more cost effective to get an oil tanker from the US Gulf coast (or wherever else) there to supply the fuel?

The C17's have an air refuelling capability. It's kinda SOP to top up transports with AAR on tac missions where there are payload issues. Fuel is weight. Take off with diversion fuel and get refueled in flight would be a good way of managing any fuel supply problems. I'm sure some guy in a Blue-Grey suit is working on this right now.
The Brits did the same with the air-transport airbridge during the early days of the re-occupation of the Falklands. A C130 would get refuelled 2 or 3 times en route to Stanley from the Ascensions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:02 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:

No, no how long will it be before they accuse Harper for helping out his Haitian prorogation girlfriend the GG?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:08 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
The C17's have an air refuelling capability. It's kinda SOP to top up transports with AAR on tac missions where there are payload issues. Fuel is weight. Take off with diversion fuel and get refueled in flight would be a good way of managing any fuel supply problems. I'm sure some guy in a Blue-Grey suit is working on this right now.
The Brits did the same with the air-transport airbridge during the early days of the re-occupation of the Falklands. A C130 would get refuelled 2 or 3 times en route to Stanley from the Ascensions.

I understand this, but the shortage of fuel for aircraft (to me, anyway) doesn't seem as big of an issue considering (unlike Britain during the Falklands War) there's a good number of allies in the region willing to provide fuel. I bet even neutral powers would be willing, since it's disaster relief and not a war effort. I thought the fuel shortage was more in terms of gasoline and fuel for electrical power generation

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:33 pm

commanderkai commanderkai:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

I understand this, but the shortage of fuel for aircraft (to me, anyway) doesn't seem as big of an issue considering (unlike Britain during the Falklands War) there's a good number of allies in the region willing to provide fuel. I bet even neutral powers would be willing, since it's disaster relief and not a war effort. I thought the fuel shortage was more in terms of gasoline and fuel for electrical power generation

Your talking on quite a feat of logistics to set up a fuel link to the airport from a tanker terminal that will need to be constructed.

Basing a few air tankers at a nearby island nation, operate an air tanker service for our C17's in mid air.
Our guys could do this tonight. Logistic support for 3 tankers would probably amount to 250 guys and airfield support equipment.

Much easier fix to the fuel issue for our C17's than a build and rely on a vunerable fuel line from sea. Having the C17's stuck on the deck in Haiti is a piss-poor use of a key aircraft for strat and tac airlift.