canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:47 am

Title: Lee Valley warns customers of delays of up to 1 year, higher prices to come
Category: Business
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2021-10-15 07:14:47
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:47 am

Can confirm. I've been waiting for some things to come back into stock for nearly a year. One things said 'expected July 2021'. July came around, and it changed to January, 22. 8O Another that was expected in stock in October has moved to July '22. And these are things made in Canada!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:55 am

That’s crazy!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:59 am

Totally nuts. And I don't understand the delay on the first item, because it is something they make themselves. It must be that they can't get raw materials, but it's made from iron and steel and I'm pretty sure we do those things.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:10 am

Well daughter hasn’t complained about any storages with raw material to make iron. It would definitely be on her list of muttering if they were having problems getting materials for castings. As for steel they make stainless but not sure how often.

She was so excited the first time she was able to go out to the melt deck and watch them pour stainless. Mind you she was also excited the first time she saw a bear running down her street. She’s had a lot of firsts since moving north.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:28 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
...it's made from iron and steel and I'm pretty sure we do those things...

Well, we used to make those things, and to a massive economy-defining degree that no one appreciated until it was far too late. Then some very important people decided that paying Canadian workers a living wage to do that kind of work was just too much of a blight on their investment portfolios, and that particular industry was thusly reduced to less than a shadow of what it used to be domestically. Another shareholder success story! :|

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:51 pm

This is just starting. Britain is seeing it much worse right now, mostly due to their own Brexit dumbfuckery ("What?" cry the Brxiteers, "You never told us this would happen!"). Lots of empty shelves in the US right now and panicked normies googling "supply chain."

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:44 pm

Thanos Thanos:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
...it's made from iron and steel and I'm pretty sure we do those things...

Well, we used to make those things, and to a massive economy-defining degree that no one appreciated until it was far too late. Then some very important people decided that paying Canadian workers a living wage to do that kind of work was just too much of a blight on their investment portfolios, and that particular industry was thusly reduced to less than a shadow of what it used to be domestically. Another shareholder success story! :|

Actually, Lee Valley is a private company IIRC. 3rd largest hardware chain in Canada.

I buy their stuff because most of it is made in Canada. If it's not made in Canada, or the US, they put a little disclaimer that they tested the product, and it's up to standards.

This is what I mean.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/to ... em=05P5471

Made in Canada, by them, out of stock since last year. :( And it's not just them. I tried Wood River and Lie Nielsen too. Nothing in stock. :(

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:05 am

If they have been running a just in time supply system that could explain most of this. With the shut downs the supply chain bottle necks things are really messed up. People running around screaming the sky is falling and we are running out of everything panic buy all the things isn’t helping.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:13 am

There are issues across many industries affecting countless products. I have to deal it at work as well and explain repeatedly to customers why we don't have the product they are looking for and why they can't find it anywhere else either.

My washer & dryer, originally set for delivery in August, then delayed and rescheduled for yesterday, now delayed until February though possibly as early as December. I had a fun chat with a fellow in customer service a week ago who was very nice and apologetic but little they can do when waiting for shipments from Europe.

We've been using the communal laundry room in my building for over a year now and will carry on doing so. Oh well, no point in getting upset about it.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:08 pm

In my line of work (auto service), we've had to raise our margins on brake repairs, suspension, and other important parts because the prices have gone up quite a bit. Problem right now besides the supply chain and whatnot is the fact that no one has enough money to fix their cars.

It's not our choice to up repairs costs and pass them on to the customer, but we have to pay more to get the parts. Mind you, we're not the cheapest shop out there, but we don't want to rip people off either.

-J.