Title: 'Making a Murderer's' Brendan Dassey ordered released from prison
Category: Law & Order
Posted By: shockedcanadian
Date: 2016-11-15 08:49:27
Canadian

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:52 am

A 17 year old kid coerced into a confession. No access to an adult or lawyer. Strong arguments which suggest he didn't have his Constitutional Rights supported (unlike Canada, Americans respect their rights as enshrined by their Founding Fathers).

Pretty easy to see why this was finally thrown out. All that was missing from this case was an agent provocateur and a beating to make him talk...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:25 am

The other thing at issue here is that forensic evidence was 'found' after the initial forensic investigation and the inescapable conclusion is that the police themselves planted the evidence against the accused.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:51 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
The other thing at issue here is that forensic evidence was 'found' after the initial forensic investigation and the inescapable conclusion is that the police themselves planted the evidence against the accused.

I saw the documentary, was fascinating to watch for sure. To me there is no clear proof that evidence had been planted Steve Avery. There were certainly some concerns, and it is for those with far more knowledge than me to determine this and you can be sure that good lawyers are trying to get to the bottom of the evidence itself, there was some doubt. However, that aside, the interrogation of this Brendan kid was probably the most disturbing.

We call all appreciate and acknowledge how difficult it is to build a case, but it has to always be to the letter of the law. One can't go by the opinion that "any means necessary to get a conviction" is valid. The interview of this kid raised far too many issues and questions. To me he was obviously "challenged". Watching the interview made me feel uncomfortable, I was watching an injustice with my own eyes.

All of us have been 17 years old, it's a far cry from being an adult. When you put together the totality of the investigation and it's hard to imagine how these particular investigators believed the case they had built with this kid was legal, ethical and/or honest.