CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 6575
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:33 am
 


Tman1 wrote:
Proculation wrote:
ShepherdsDog wrote:
in St. Boniface and some tiny communities there is a Franco Manitoban culture. Outside of those small farming villages, and Festival du Voyageur, German and Ukrainian culture is more prevalent in Manitoba....and most of the Prairies I dare say.


I understand that. But still, Frenchies were there. Thinking like that it's like saying they should put a dragon on BC's flag.

Same could be said of the English culture in Quebec but I guess both are repressed on representation eh?


Flag of Montreal:

Image


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9956
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:37 am
 


One city doesn't make a province. You were comparing Manitoba right?


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 6575
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:52 am
 


Well, there's more people in Montreal than in Manitoba ! :lol:

But, my point was that it would be a good thing to put the french heritage of Manitoba in the flag if they decide to change it. I would not see a fleur-de-lysée on the Alberta flag !


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 6575
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:55 am
 


Just for the record: last year, there was more Canadiens flag in Montreal then both Canadian and Quebec flag. That tells a lot :idea: .


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9956
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:12 am
 


Proculation wrote:
Well, there's more people in Montreal than in Manitoba ! :lol:

But, my point was that it would be a good thing to put the french heritage of Manitoba in the flag if they decide to change it. I would not see a fleur-de-lysée on the Alberta flag !

And you missed my point entirely. If it is a good thing to put a fleur de lys on a Manitoba flag, then I guess it is good to put a union jack on the fluer de lys...right? good luck selling that to your fellows and vice versa.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9956
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:14 am
 


Proculation wrote:
Just for the record: last year, there was more Canadiens flag in Montreal then both Canadian and Quebec flag. That tells a lot :idea: .

The Canadien flag is different than the Canadian flag? or do you mean the Habs the hockey team flag? If so, that's pretty sad actually.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 6575
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:28 am
 


Tman1 wrote:
Proculation wrote:
Well, there's more people in Montreal than in Manitoba ! :lol:

But, my point was that it would be a good thing to put the french heritage of Manitoba in the flag if they decide to change it. I would not see a fleur-de-lysée on the Alberta flag !

And you missed my point entirely. If it is a good thing to put a fleur de lys on a Manitoba flag, then I guess it is good to put a union jack on the fluer de lys...right? good luck selling that to your fellows and vice versa.


I don't think it's the same thing.
We had the Union Jack in Canada but since then we moved on and now we are an independant country. Even in the coat of arms of England there is the fleur-de-lys since France was there for hundreds of years. It's part of the history. But back in time, when lower Canada was only the St Lawrence, we were British of course but it was still a french heritage. I posted the flag of Montreal for that purpose since it was the biggest city back then. I don't mind the England cross on that flag. But now it's Quebec as the whole province. Outside Montreal there's not really a British heritage. Manitoba has that french heritage a lot. That is the point.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 6575
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:29 am
 


Tman1 wrote:
Proculation wrote:
Just for the record: last year, there was more Canadiens flag in Montreal then both Canadian and Quebec flag. That tells a lot :idea: .

The Canadien flag is different than the Canadian flag? or do you mean the Habs the hockey team flag? If so, that's pretty sad actually.


Yeah I meant the Habs flag :wink:


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 42160
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:44 am
 


Quote:
Even in the coat of arms of England there is the fleur-de-lys since France was there for hundreds of years.

That's because once upon a time, the majority of what is today France, belonged to the Kings of England. It began with the Angevins. Henry, Richard Coeur de Leon, John and such. The n there was that entire episode with that with the witch of Orleans(what is it with the French thinking God is speaking to them....everyone knows they can't understand English :twisted: ) England was never a possession of the French crown.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9956
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:20 am
 


William the Conquerer begs to differ and the poor Anglo-Saxons under him.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9956
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:28 am
 


Proculation wrote:
I don't think it's the same thing.
We had the Union Jack in Canada but since then we moved on and now we are an independant country. Even in the coat of arms of England there is the fleur-de-lys since France was there for hundreds of years. It's part of the history. But back in time, when lower Canada was only the St Lawrence, we were British of course but it was still a french heritage. I posted the flag of Montreal for that purpose since it was the biggest city back then. I don't mind the England cross on that flag. But now it's Quebec as the whole province. Outside Montreal there's not really a British heritage. Manitoba has that french heritage a lot. That is the point.

It is the same thing. You want the fleur de lys on Manitoba considering the Franco influence on it. An english symbol on the Quebec flag is the same thing considering the english involvment in Quebec. How exactly are you not comparing the two here? Outside Montreal there is not a lot of British influence? Manitoba doesn't have a lot of french influence at all except St Bonifice.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 15681
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:13 am
 


Tman1 wrote:
William the Conquerer begs to differ and the poor Anglo-Saxons under him.



William was a Norman. The French kingdom at that time did not include Normandy. That's like saying Switzerland is part of Germany.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 42160
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:30 am
 


The Normans weren't French either, they were Norse who settled into the area now known as Normandy and just adopted the French language.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 15681
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:27 am
 


ShepherdsDog wrote:
The Normans weren't French either, they were Norse who settled into the area now known as Normandy and just adopted the French language.


Yup, on another angle (not the race) Bretons (is in those for Brittany, not the NFLD'ers with a ferry ticket in NS) still speak a variation of Gaelic from Celtic settlements. How's that for a screwed-up 'French' lineage?

People seem to forget that most of the now UK, France and the Low Countries were a myriad of tribal fiefdoms for centuries before they became the countries we are now familiar with.

Back on track, Canadians seem to be quite happy to ditch anything that reminds them of their British and UEL history, but they are ready to embrace all the other cultures that are really just recent arrivals and have little loyalty to our ideals and freedoms that come from our shared Anglo-Saxon experience.

It's a fabulous success story for those within us who are re-writing our history to present facts in a very 'social-history' and left-wing slant. But I wonder why it's been accepted so readily by a huge majority of Canadians?


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9956
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:39 am
 


EyeBrock wrote:
Tman1 wrote:
William the Conquerer begs to differ and the poor Anglo-Saxons under him.



William was a Norman. The French kingdom at that time did not include Normandy. That's like saying Switzerland is part of Germany.

Enlighten me on what "time" we are talking about.....911 (A.D) or 1066. The Middle Ages is all about lineage. How do you get children born claiming territory from one another which is exactly what ShepherdsDog mentioned concerning the English kings claiming much of France due to lineage? Yes, William was a Norman but he was also a vassal of the French king....which technically made England a vassal state to France and why most of England had French institutions throughout....well England. ShepherdsDogs concept of 'England never a French possession' is wrong.


Last edited by Tman1 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests



cron
 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.