CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 28570
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:33 am
 


Title: Manitoba writes off Blue Bombers stadium loan
Category: Sports
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2018-09-27 06:26:08
Canadian


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 32432
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:33 am
 


Capitalize profits, socialize costs. :(


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8432
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:36 am
 


DrCaleb wrote:
Capitalize profits, socialize costs. :(

A key part of the keeping the rich, rich and the poor, poor plan.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4333
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:51 am
 


I wouldn't call any CFL team rich, their salary caps are around 5.1 million, not per person, per TEAM.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8432
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:52 am
 


uwish wrote:
I wouldn't call any CFL team rich, their salary caps are around 5.1 million, not per person, per TEAM.

Still rich enough to build a stadium.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 32432
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:58 am
 


llama66 wrote:
uwish wrote:
I wouldn't call any CFL team rich, their salary caps are around 5.1 million, not per person, per TEAM.

Still rich enough to build have someone gift them a stadium.


FTFY.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63586
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:05 am
 


Another reason why I adamantly oppose government funding for these fucking sports teams.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8432
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:44 am
 


BartSimpson wrote:
Another reason why I adamantly oppose government funding for these fucking sports teams.

Me too. Billionaires bitching because building a new place to make them money is going to cost them money.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13776
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:56 am
 


All good points on this kind of topic generally, but in the case of this team, the Bombers are a nonprofit with no owner. And the stadium is jointly owned by the Bombers, the city of Winnipeg, the province of Manitoba, and the University of Manitoba. So I wonder if it isn’t a little self-dealing here both when the province issued the loans and when they wrote them off, given that the province is on both sides of the equation, and the other borrowing partners are entities that receive direct funding from the province. The whole arrangement seems a little incestuous.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63586
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:00 am
 


BeaverFever wrote:
All good points on this kind of topic generally, but in the case of this team, the Bombers are a nonprofit with no owner. And the stadium is jointly owned by the Bombers, the city of Winnipeg, the province of Manitoba, and the University of Manitoba. So I wonder if it isn’t a little self-dealing here both when the province issued the loans and when they wrote them off, given that the province is on both sides of the equation, and the other borrowing partners are entities that receive direct funding from the province. The whole arrangement seems a little incestuous.


Most corruption is.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20798
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:23 am
 


BeaverFever wrote:
All good points on this kind of topic generally, but in the case of this team, the Bombers are a nonprofit with no owner. And the stadium is jointly owned by the Bombers, the city of Winnipeg, the province of Manitoba, and the University of Manitoba. So I wonder if it isn’t a little self-dealing here both when the province issued the loans and when they wrote them off, given that the province is on both sides of the equation, and the other borrowing partners are entities that receive direct funding from the province. The whole arrangement seems a little incestuous.


I could see a stink if the team was owned by a billionaire, but it's basically owned by the city as a non-profit.

Given the fact that the Bombers are a community-owned team, I don't see the difference between this and giving a city grants for other public infrastructure. While it's not an LRT line or highway, this stadium still increases quality of life for a lot of people in dreary Winnipeg (if not Manitoba).


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.