Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:00 pm

That said, anybody who would blame Albertans like Thanos with being fed up ought to take a good, long look at our history in Canada. This is why I majored in history in the first place.

This piece by Jen Gerson in Macleans is well worth reading, but here's a good summary of what's set so many of us off:

$1:

The transformation that took place while it was travelling across the Prairies was so complete that few now remember that the convoy was not some kind of white nationalist uprising. Instead, they recall Conservative Party Leader Andrew Scheer, who addressed the convoy’s rally in Ottawa, allegedly speaking at the same event as racist alt-right personality Faith Goldy. Never mind that Goldy had showed up uninvited and offered her own rants from a cherry-picker located a block away from the main stage.

I’ve seen a version of this play out in greater or lesser form again and again in reporting from Alberta. From racists rooted out in bars in Brooks, Alta., to the the anti-Semitic ramblings of school teacher Jim Keegstra, whose firing helped form Canada’s hate speech laws, to the anti-semitism within the early Reform Party, to Stephen Harper’s alleged hidden agenda.

Nefarious far-right conspiracies born in the dark heart of oil country, though never quite proven, are assumed.

Yet Alberta isn’t passing legislation like Bill 21, which would bar members of the public service from wearing religious garb. It isn’t calling for a “values test” for new immigrants.

A recent Ipsos poll conducted for Global News found that roughly half of all Canadians entertained racist thoughts they wouldn’t speak in public.

The point isn’t to deny that kooks and racists live in Alberta, nor to litigate which province is most racist, but rather to note that the stereotype serves a particular political function. When a reporter parachutes into cattle country to root out a racist wacknut, the outlier and the anecdote become proof of the corrupt and immoral nature of the province and its political culture as a whole.

I had long chalked this up to habit. Once your province has cultivated a reputation for being a redneck backwater, well, that’s a hard one to break. But it’s a habit that leaves Albertans constantly seeing themselves and their grievances reflected back at them through a profoundly distorted lens.

It doesn’t seem to be enough to perceive Albertans as wrong, or mired in a declining oil-and-gas industry that produces significant greenhouse gas emissions—they must also be bad people.

And what consideration is owed to a pack of hard-luck deplorables?

If you view the province as a collection of regressive hicks whose only claim to wealth is that they were lucky enough to be born on valuable dirt, then it becomes very easy to decimate that wealth. Or, at the very least, to greet the crisis playing out in this province with smug contempt. The oil crash of 2014 and subsequent economic decline becomes a manifestation of divine justice.

The province’s suffering is proper and righteous.

The indifference of the nation is justified.

I will never, ever, ever support separation, but attitudes like this piss me off just as much as they do anyone else in this province, particularly when they're directed at people I consider friends and family.

Hell, I'm as close to a Captain Canada as you'll find on this forum and even I've vented about it.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:31 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
They were actually being repressed though. Alberta has one of the best economies in North America right now. Such things won't get a lot of traction.

Take away all the govt debt financing and take another look at the books.

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
You guys have been like that for quite some time. We haven't. Literally, no one is talking about this, beside those guys.

You, being a left winging govt level non oil contractor, do not represent in any way the majority in Alberta.

JaredMilne JaredMilne:
$1:
The UN convention, adopted in 1982, does say that "landlocked states shall enjoy freedom of transit through the territory of transit states by all means of transport."

Wouldn't the exact same thing happen with us not just in any pipeline negotiations, but on all the other issues we'd have to work out with separation?

Which is why the best for Alberta separation.... is joining the USA.

Those people with a brain may understand I do not advocate such a position,
it simply the facts on the ground.
The other triggered bitches can go F themselves.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:47 am

Martin15 Martin15:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
You guys have been like that for quite some time. We haven't. Literally, no one is talking about this, beside those guys.

You, being a left winging govt level non oil contractor, do not represent in any way the majority in Alberta.

Yet, you describe most Albertans, who are also not oil contractors. The top 3 professions by population are; Health Care, Retail, and Professional/Scientific. Which makes me in the top 3 industries.

https://work.alberta.ca/documents/labou ... lights.pdf (Page 11, if you care to enlighten yourself)

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:19 am

If Albertans really want to secede, I hope we’ll go through a proper consultative process for the public, organize a plebiscite with a clear question and send them on their merry way. That is how civilized countries should do it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:19 am

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
If Albertans really want to secede, I hope we’ll go through a proper consultative process for the public, organize a plebiscite with a clear question and send them on their merry way. That is how civilized countries should do it.

Which is how it will be done, if it is done at all.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:07 am

llama66 llama66:
Sunnyways Sunnyways:

Which is how it will be done, if it is done at all.

It would not surprise me in the least if Trudeau decides to do to Alberta what the Spanish did to Catalonia.

For the record I support Catalan independence even though the new country would be strictly leftist.

The sole issue to me here is self determination. :idea:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:31 am

Catalonia has a linguistic, ethnic and historic grounds to claim distinction from the rest of Spain. As Quebec has in Canada.
The handful of whiney babies you keep giving audience to has NONE.