Title: Mayor gives Thorold Blackhawks hockey team deadline to change name
Category: Misc CDN
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2016-08-23 13:46:36
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:59 pm

How is Blackhawk an Indian name? I've never heard of the Blackhawk tribe. So change the logo to a hawk rather than an Indian, but keep the name. I've always liked Chicago just because of that name.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:08 pm

Black Hawk, born Ma-ka-tai-me-she-kia-kiak, (1767 – October 3, 1838) was a war leader and warrior of the Sauk American Indian tribe in what is now the Midwest of the United States.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:08 pm

Mayor Ted Luciani needs a kick in the nuts.

So to speak...Image

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:15 pm

$1:
The Chicago Blackhawks of the National Hockey League indirectly derive their name from Black Hawk. Their first owner, Frederic McLaughlin, was a commander with the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of the 86th Infantry Division during World War I, nicknamed the "Black Hawk Division" after the war leader. McLaughlin named the hockey team in honor of his military unit.

How... insulting, and non PC. 8O

/sarcasm off

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:02 pm

andyt andyt:
How is Blackhawk an Indian name? I've never heard of the Blackhawk tribe. So change the logo to a hawk rather than an Indian, but keep the name. I've always liked Chicago just because of that name.

Or they could change it to a deadly helicopter which would be cool.

It also had a US WW1 military unit named after it, so there is now a shared history.

Anyway, this is the name of an individual, I don't know how naming a team after an individual is racist.

Here's a thorough background on the name and the individual:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... me/396356/

Apparently the Chicago Blackhawks have some kind of special permission to use the name from The American Indian Association.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:00 pm

raydan raydan:
$1:
The Chicago Blackhawks of the National Hockey League indirectly derive their name from Black Hawk. Their first owner, Frederic McLaughlin, was a commander with the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of the 86th Infantry Division during World War I, nicknamed the "Black Hawk Division" after the war leader. McLaughlin named the hockey team in honor of his military unit.

How... insulting, and non PC. 8O

/sarcasm off

This very cool looking logo was actually suggested as a possibility if the Blackhawks wanted to rebrand, but the rights have since been bought by a minor league team: