canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:10 am

Title: Medically unfit for deployment' We'll try to employ you elsewhere, says Canada's top general
Category: Military
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2017-10-10 09:34:08
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:10 am

Sorry General but that won't work unless it's for people on a temporary category who can be guaranteed to be deployable in the near future but, from the sounds of it, this is for people who'll never be deployable again.

I can't speak for the Army and Air Force but for the Navy it's going to destroy the ship to shore ratio. A ratio that is already stretched to it's maximum because of the lack of manpower. This PC fix is going to do nothing but create animosity in the ranks and a culture of entitlement for people who can't be deployed.

Last edited by Freakinoldguy on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:13 am

I was almost discharged for my knee but then my private insurer (not the VA) paid to fix me up and then I was able to serve again.

Moral of the story here is to make sure your injured troops get sufficient care to return them to duty when possible.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:16 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
I was almost discharged for my knee but then my private insurer (not the VA) paid to fix me up and then I was able to serve again.

Moral of the story here is to make sure your injured troops get sufficient care to return them to duty when possible.

Like I said this isn't about the temporary duty people. It's about the ones who'll never be deployable which means it's going to screw the few fit people who'll end up carrying the load.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:20 am

I guess I'd weigh this on a case-by-case basis.

Retention of an injured troop who has skills that can be imparted to others makes sense. But turning the military into a jobs program is total bullshit.

May as well just stop trying to run a military. Seems to me that's the direction Canada is eventually heading anyway.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:09 pm

Next the Libs will be creating a 49 Genders Infantry Battalion. :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:39 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
I guess I'd weigh this on a case-by-case basis.

Retention of an injured troop who has skills that can be imparted to others makes sense. But turning the military into a jobs program is total bullshit.

May as well just stop trying to run a military. Seems to me that's the direction Canada is eventually heading anyway.

If you can remuster a person to a trade that doesn't require deployment and can be guaranteed to never be deployed then fine but, since that's impossible given the "universality of service" requirement of the Canadian Armed Forces it's pretty much impossible unless they rewrite those requirements which will allow the sick the lame and the lazy to enlist in the military at which time it won't be a military anymore but an adult day care center.

But hey, by that time the General in charge who allowed this PC debacle to be implemented will be long gone and drawing his wage likely for a high paid job in the Gov't or as an MP for the Liberal Party of Canada.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:41 pm

Ottawa offices are crammed with fat, dumpy long-service sergeants who have never left Ottawa and would resign if anyone tried to make them. DND has more human resources staff than it does infantry soldiers. There is almost limitless room for unfit soldiers to do things that aren't in the field as long as they are retrained.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:24 pm

Vbeacher Vbeacher:
Ottawa offices are crammed with fat, dumpy long-service sergeants who have never left Ottawa and would resign if anyone tried to make them. DND has more human resources staff than it does infantry soldiers. There is almost limitless room for unfit soldiers to do things that aren't in the field as long as they are retrained.

Read the universality of service terms and get back to me because, despite their lack of fitness all those fat dumpy long service Sgt's are technically fit to be deployed. A fitness requirement that permanently categorized members can never attain.

Your solution might work for the Army but, it doesn't hold water for the Navy because of the Sea Shore ratio. A ratio which was put in place to ensure that "all" sailors had a chance to decompress and spend time with their families. But, if the cuddly feely military goes this route it'll mean that there will be no shore billets left for "medically fit" personnel who will be obliged to stay at sea for much longer periods before one of these soon to be golden postings open up.

So fuck Ottawa and it's denizens. That place is an anomaly and you have to look service wide rather than at one den of iniquity to see the impact this decision will have on peoples lives.

You know what would be even better than keeping medically unfit people to take up positions healthy people need or rewriting the Universality of Service requirements though?

Getting the Gov't to start upholding their part of the moral agreement they made with these troops and start giving DVA Pensions like they promised rather than continuing the lump sum payment scale which wouldn't buy most injured a badly maintained used car.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:04 pm

I don’t think this has anything to do with political correctness or liberal sensitivities. I’m sure there are plenty of wounded veterans who would have wanted to stay in uniform rather than be forced out and not because they’re limp-wristed entitled liberal snowflakes.

I guess the concern FOG is raising is really how is this going to be implemented? Are able-bodied REMFs going to be pushed out to the field every time a disabled soldier wants to stay in uniform, or will there only be an employment opportunity if it doesn’t displace anyone?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:34 pm

Don't need any legs to run a computer or fly a drone.
For that matter some 400 lb fat kids around Mom would like out of her basement who might be better at cryptography etc.
Can't run anything without cooks, paper pushers and geeks.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:17 am

herbie herbie:
Don't need any legs to run a computer or fly a drone.
For that matter some 400 lb fat kids around Mom would like out of her basement who might be better at cryptography etc.
Can't run anything without cooks, paper pushers and geeks.

For that matter, look at the Invictus Games. Some wounded soldiers are obviously very capable. It's expensive to train them, and if they can be moved to a role in training or something like an MP, why not let them?