CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:07 am

oooh, so long as they don't shoot the plane down over Langley.. 8O

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:59 am

What in the world is worth all this trouble? All for some country penis contest?

Do us a favor and never hold another olympic event in Canada. Waste of money, effort and time.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:12 am

Bacardi4206 Bacardi4206:
What in the world is worth all this trouble? All for some country penis contest?

Do us a favor and never hold another olympic event in Canada. Waste of money, effort and time.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way. Though truthfully I'm glad they are serious about security as the potential for damage is huge.

It's been hard lately at home for me, my wife grew up in the 80's and so remembers the dubious "excitement" of Calgary 88. My kid's school is pushing all this Canadian Olympic spirit on all the kids, so of course he's excited, wanted to go see the tourch relay and such, buy olympic gear ect. My politics don't agree with the olympics, I usually only watch the hockey and probably won't bother this year just due to Heir Campbell's attempts at Fascism.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:08 pm

And here I'm wondering how I'm going to get in all 4200 hours of coverage. :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:13 pm

Alta_redneck Alta_redneck:
And here I'm wondering how I'm going to get in all 4200 hours of coverage. :P

I won't have that problem.

Still havent decide on the hockey... the rest is completely off the table. :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:31 pm

I don't understand why everyone is so down on the Olympics. It's an inconvenience (albeit a big one) for two weeks that leaves most cities with a plethora of excellent infrastructure and venues. Canada's success in the past two decades at the Winter Olympics is attributable to the wonderful facilities that were built for the Calgary games.

I don't care much for the opening and closing ceremonies, but I love watching the Olympics, especially for the wonderful stories of athletes competing in events you've never heard of (and likely won't hear of again). Chandra Crawford in the last Winter Olympics was typical.

The world class hockey is a big bonus too.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:36 pm

I grew up in Calgary, and went to the medal ceremonies at olympic plaza almost every night, I have a lot of fond memories from 88. But now since 9/11 it is almost as if all of the fun has been removed from this very special event.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:42 pm

The security issue was a huge problem for decades before 9/11. Canada used 15,000 or so CF personnel and RCMP to secure the '76 Olympics (because of the Munich massacre in '72) and security was a major issue again after Atlanta in 1996.

To me, it's just one more hassle, and as a TV viewer, doesn't really affect me in any way.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:56 pm

The model aircraft prohibition is a bit much. What is NORAD going to do? Bomb all the hobby shops in Vancouver? :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:05 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
I don't understand why everyone is so down on the Olympics. It's an inconvenience (albeit a big one) for two weeks that leaves most cities with a plethora of excellent infrastructure and venues. Canada's success in the past two decades at the Winter Olympics is attributable to the wonderful facilities that were built for the Calgary games.

I don't care much for the opening and closing ceremonies, but I love watching the Olympics, especially for the wonderful stories of athletes competing in events you've never heard of (and likely won't hear of again). Chandra Crawford in the last Winter Olympics was typical.

The world class hockey is a big bonus too.

I'm down on the olympics because they are the opposite of what they claim to be. They are supposed to be non-political, non-commercial, non-partisan. They allow athletes that are paid pros (hockey/Basketball) to compete. They pick and choose what they want to have as acceppted sports and bar others on no real grounds, (IE; the womens skiing issue this year). They are run by a bunch of beaurocrats that want everything served to them on a silver platter.
In short, the only admirable thing about them is the athletes themselves (except the ones that dope and cheat)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:09 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
To me, it's just one more hassle, and as a TV viewer, doesn't really affect me in any way.

Reminded me of this..

First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out.

Keep your head in the sand.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:13 pm

martin14 martin14:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Reminded me of this..

First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;

The security at the 2010 Olympics can be compared to Hitler. :roll:

Wow, now I've heard everything. Methinks it's you who has his head in the sand.

Way to Godwin an Olympic thread...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:16 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
martin14 martin14:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Reminded me of this..

The security at the 2010 Olympics can be compared to Hitler. :roll:

Wow, now I've heard everything. Methinks it's you who has his head in the sand.

Way to Godwin an Olympic thread...

over your head and past your knees bootie.

it's you and your refusal to care what happens to other people in the country.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:20 pm

Taken from http://olympicresistance.net/content/wh ... olympics-0
While I don't agree with all of it, mostly it hits the nail right on the head.

The Olympics are not about the human spirit and have little to do with athletic excellence. They are a multi-billion dollar industry backed by real estate, construction, hotel, tourism and media corporations, and powerful elites working hand in hand with government officials and the International Olympic Committee (IOC). While public pressure is unlikely to stop the 2010 Games from occupying Vancouver, critical resistance is needed to expose deceptions about the Games’ impact and purposes, voice our dissent to the world, and strengthen social movement solidarity.

Occupation of Stolen Native Land: The vast majority of B.C. is unceded Native land, unlawfully occupied by B.C. and Canada. By Canadian law, Native title exists unless yielded by treaty and little of B.C. is covered, even by flawed treaties. Neglect of First Nations’ social, environmental, and political rights by a state that benefits from Aboriginal resources is a serious political crisis ignored by Canada and the Games.

“Security” and Eroding Civil Liberties: Increasing political repression and security build-ups accompany modern Games. Estimates for Vancouver of at least 16,500 Canadian military, border guards, private security, VPD, RCMP, and CSIS agents (plus foreign security) are unrealistically low: the Sydney Games had 35,000 police and security (4 cops per athlete) with 4,000 troops and commando units and the Athens Games had 70,000 police, security, and military forces. There will be at least 40 km of crowd-control fencing, video surveillance, and airport-style security zones around the city, including on public property. The monitoring and intimidation of political opposition has already begun. Vancouver City Council has followed the IOC requests to create an environment free of protest by enhancing bylaws to restrict posters, signs, leaflets, marches, noise-makers, and any possible “disturbance” to Olympic entertainment. Many elements can become permanent (such as public video monitoring, new security bodies and policing rules, and the criminalization of protest) and security costs are up to $1 billion.

Environmental Destruction and Waste: The 2010 Games will be one of the most ecologically damaging in history, featuring clear cuts, mountain blasting, road construction (and expansion of traffic), gravel mining (damage to fish stocks), massive amounts of steel, plastics, cement, wood, etc., threats to animal populations, unnecessary luxury buildings, and expanded infrastructure (with accelerated approvals) for mining, logging, oil and gas exploration, ski resorts, and tourism. Approximately 100,000 trees have been cut down for Olympic development.

Corporatization: The Games are entirely commercialized, with pro athletes, exclusive corporate sponsors, and crony deals for development, construction, and media companies. Image control is crucial and all outdoor advertising in Vancouver has been sold to the Games and their sponsors for weeks around the Games. The anthem lyrics “with glowing hearts” and words like “friend” have become trademarks related to the Olympics. Games regularly benefit and are sponsored by companies with poor human rights and environmental records, like Nike, Shell, McDonald’s, Coca-Cola, Petro-Canada, Dow, Teck Cominco, TransCanada, and arms makers GE and GM.

Damage to Communities: Racial profiling and lock-downs of ethnic communities are common for the Games (black neighbourhoods in L.A. and Atlanta, Muslims in Athens, etc.). More tourists increase abuses in the sex trade. Host cities routinely criminalise the poor or homeless and socially cleanse their cities (Vancouver relocated the homeless out of sight for Expo 86 and Atlanta did the same for its Games). The Vancouver Police crackdown on visible poverty has led to hundreds of tickets for panhandling, jaywalking, second-hand sales on the streets, and sleeping in parks. The sacrifice of housing, social services, and environmental and labour laws also hurt the poor, homeless, women, minorities, Natives, and workers. Since the 1980s, Games and their construction have displaced over 2 million people.

Honouring Exploitation: Despite Olympic claims, Games occur in places that violate “international standards” (Nazi Germany in 1936, more than 300 students massacred in Mexico prior to the 1968 Games, political oppression in China during the 2008 Games, etc.). Games are used to rally for nationalist causes, impose social control, and attract corporate investment, more than to celebrate “pure sport.” Past presidents of the corrupt IOC (including colonialists, Nazi sympathisers, and officials of fascist states) have used the Games to suppress dissent and serve their political and economic interests. Like the WTO, FTAA, G8, and APEC, the Games will use public funds to honour leaders from repressive regimes.

Lack of Affordable Housing: During a housing crisis, single-room-occupancies (cheap hotels) and affordable rentals are torn-down or converted to high-priced housing while the City lends money to build Olympic condos. Promises of affordable and social housing and shelter spaces are rarely met by host cities and Vancouver has already admitted that commitments will not be met. In fact, since the bid in 2003, we have lost over 850 low-income housing units and homelessness has tripled. Salt Lake City Games planned for 2500 units of affordable housing and created only 150; prior to Sydney’s Games, tenant evictions increased 400%; and Calgary failed to build any of its pledged social housing.

Public Costs and Debt: The $6 billion cost of Vancouver’s Games keeps increasing with cost overruns and hidden transfers. Host cities take on huge debts: Montreal’s 1976 Games were only paid off in 2002; Calgary had a $910 million debt; Barcelona a $1.4 billion debt; Sydney a $2.3 billion debt; etc. Claims of long-term economic benefits have been proven false in previous Games. The Olympics are an expensive 17-day corporate circus (during an economic crisis) that will cost us all for years to come.